Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Positive Passenger Bag Matching (PPBM) on Domestic Flights - Impact on Reroutes/SBY?

Positive Passenger Bag Matching (PPBM) on Domestic Flights - Impact on Reroutes/SBY?

Old Apr 20, 13, 6:57 am
Original Poster

My regional jet flight into CLT got delayed on Friday. We sat on the tarmac for an hour and returned to gate. We were on a CRJ700 but the next 2 flights were CRJ900 and A319. Both departed before us as they had better weather tolerance, as we were told. They would not move passengers with checked bags.

Then, 4.5 hours later, they cancelled our flight. They sent the bags out to baggage claim and we all had to get our bags and re-book at the check-in counter. I chose to get into CLT and be stuck there. They tagged our bags for the last flgiht of the day.

When we got back to the boarding area and waited another 1+ hour, the original plane we were on, with the same crew, ended up taking us to CLT. The gate agents boarded us using the new-rebooked flight number. The cabin crew announced the old flight number.

I asked the FA if our bags would be on this flight or the other flight since there was a discrepancy in the flight number. She said the bags would be on this one. It did not make sense to me since the other flight was also operating. When the ground agent came onboard, I asked her. She said this one. Then the flight attendant came down on me for not trusting her and that "FAA" rule says the bags must follow passengers. She said she had been flying for 20 years and trained people on this blah blah...

So, when we got to CLT, the FIDS indeed showed both flights operated and my bag did come on the later flight - that was another hour of wait.

Anyway, what is the deal on:

1 - domestic PPBM? I thought it is no longer needed since we have bomb detection systems

2 - if PPBM is still required domestically, what happens in a irregularity reroute situation? Can they not reroute you if you checked a bag?

3 - if PPBM is still required domestically, I guess no same-day-standby if you check a bag?

4 - FAA does not regulate this, right? TSA does, right?

Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 13, 7:00 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
It's my understanding that the passenger CANNOT know their bags are on a different flight than they are. I have had my bags fly on earlier flights many times than me. I am waiting at the carousel and my bag doesn't show. I check and its at the baggage office-arrived before me.
Old Apr 20, 13, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker View Post
It's my understanding that the passenger CANNOT know their bags are on a different flight than they are. I have had my bags fly on earlier flights many times than me. I am waiting at the carousel and my bag doesn't show. I check and its at the baggage office-arrived before me.
This is it. Bag match went out in 2003-04. The pax can't have control over the bag. Accomplishes the same thing.
Old Apr 20, 13, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

So, does US still have a rule that "no reroute/SBY if you have checked bags" or the agents were just being lazy/uninformed?

Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 13, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by username View Post
Thanks.

So, does US still have a rule that "no reroute/SBY if you have checked bags" or the agents were just being lazy/uninformed?

Thanks.
Was on a flight CLT-ALB 2 weeks ago which was delayed several hours and eventually needed a new plane, and anyone who was trying to get rebooked on other flights was not allowed to if they had bags checked.

Those of us who did not have bags checked were able to get confirmed seats on a later flight (last of the day) while still keeping our BPs for the original flight (which fortunately ended up leaving before the backup plan)
Old Apr 20, 13, 4:42 pm

Then the flight attendant came down on me for not trusting her and that "FAA" rule says the bags must follow passengers. She said she had been flying for 20 years and trained people on this blah blah...

This is one of those things that simply will not go away, no matter what. The F/A would have right about 10 years ago. "FAA rule" part is a tip off. (FAA is no longer in charge of security, that would be TSA.)

For the S/B with bags thing, once again it is lack of updated training. But even if the agent is up to date and does everything right, there are a great many things that can go wrong.
Old Apr 20, 13, 8:32 pm

Programs: None
The positive bag match went away once all domestic checked bags got x-rayed - and domestic is really domestic - the 50 states, not what US calls "domestic". I think foreign stations that pre-clear may be included but am not sure. It would depend on whether checked baggage is x-rayed like carry-on.

Jim
Old Apr 22, 13, 12:53 am
Original Poster

I asked some US employees about this and confirmed what I heard here - basically, you can't say you want to separate from your bags in regular operations. In irregular operations reroutes, it is OK if US initiates the change.

I got into a chicken-and-egg discussion though - in my situation, the employee would not reroute since we had checked bags and we cannot tell him to reroute because of the bag... So, we were stuck?

How does one educate those employees who are not familiar with the rule? Is there a SHARES GG topic on this? Thanks.
Old May 23, 15, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat/QF Lifetime Gold/Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Accor Plat, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
My friend was late to her gate..agent closed flight 10 mins before departure and she got there. Despite jetway still being extended, gate agent refused to open door and allow her to board.

Her bag was checked on that flight. The gate agent refused to remove her bag and sent her on another flight.

Doesn't PPBM apply here, or not applicable because it was a domestic flight?
Old May 24, 15, 2:22 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

Not applicable for domestic flight. The bag would have went on ahead of the passenger.
Old May 26, 15, 10:26 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
PPBM is a requirement on international flights, not domestic.
Old May 27, 15, 7:04 pm

Programs: I miss US Airways
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker View Post
But with US scanning it every step of the way and providing tracking online doesn't one know if they're on a different flight at that point?
Old May 28, 15, 9:36 pm

Yes, I've had that happen. We missed a connection on US; while waiting four hours for the next flight, I could go online and see that our bags were on the missed flight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: