Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did I get this upgrade status email?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

I'm a legacy AA Gold, no pre-merger status on US (though I had Silver in 2013).

I have an AA ticket (001) for next week, booked with my AAdvantage number, AA metal for the outbound and US metal for the return. This morning I got an email "Your Upgrade Status" from US for the return flights, I'm still in coach.

Now the timing doesn't surprise me, back when I was US Silver I'd often get these emails well ahead of my 2 day window. But does this mean that now that the programs are combined, these flights are eligible for 2-day-out upgrades? I had thought that an AA ticket on US metal could only be upgraded inside the 24 hour window?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
I'm an AA Plat flying on US tomorrow and I've received 3 emails so far titled "Upgrade Status" with the notations "Complimentary upgrades not offered" for each leg. Both are US metal (a 321 and RJ9).
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Upgrade Not Available E-Mail

I am flying on a USAirways operated flight from BDL to PHL next week. Ticket was purchased under the American flight number.

The flight is under 500 miles and my understanding is that the upgrade request was automatically made. I never made an upgrade request and there does not appear to be any way for me to do so.

Today I got an e-mail from USAirways entitled "Your Upgrade Status". In the e-mail, it says that "complementary upgrades are not offered" for my two flights.

Has anyone received such an e-mail? F is wide open on both flights (expertflyer, not seatmap), so that is not the issue.

These are short flights and not a big deal if the upgrade doesn't happen, but I want to make sure I understand the process for flights where it may matter more to me.

Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT

Same here, my flights are on Friday the 17, and it also includes an international flight as well.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PresRDC
I am flying on a USAirways operated flight from BDL to PHL next week. Ticket was purchased under the American flight number.
No upgrades until check-in because you bought the codeshare. It will still be free, but only if available at check-in.

To get the process you described, you would have to have purchased it as the US flight number.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:35 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Also received this email. Ridiculous that AA Elite flyers are not eligible for auto-upgrades in advance for tix issued on US ticket stock (JUST found this out after calling yesterday).
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Also received this email. Ridiculous that AA Elite flyers are not eligible for auto-upgrades in advance for tix issued on US ticket stock (JUST found this out after calling yesterday).
What's ridiculous about it? The website has explained that codeshares will be upgrade eligible at check-in only when the programs merge, and has only been up since what - December, January?

Do you think it is ridiculous that AA elites that buy a US codeshare on 001 ticket stock cannot request upgrades until check-in? Because that's how it works for everyone for all codeshares, since we are all AA elites now.

This thread is where people that didn't bother to read up on the new procedures out themselves with RIGHTEOUS OUTRAGE because the new system isn't set up the way that works best for them.

I just hope you all keep buying codeshares so I'm ahead of you in upgrade priority, since my TA has been told to buy US flights on 037 tickets and AA flights on 001 tickets without exception.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
What's ridiculous about it? The website has explained that codeshares will be upgrade eligible at check-in only when the programs merge, and has only been up since what - December, January?

Do you think it is ridiculous that AA elites that buy a US codeshare on 001 ticket stock cannot request upgrades until check-in? Because that's how it works for everyone for all codeshares, since we are all AA elites now.

This thread is where people that didn't bother to read up on the new procedures out themselves with RIGHTEOUS OUTRAGE because the new system isn't set up the way that works best for them.

I just hope you all keep buying codeshares so I'm ahead of you in upgrade priority, since my TA has been told to buy US flights on 037 tickets and AA flights on 001 tickets without exception.
Well, no outrage on my part. I had an unused ticket on AA that I needed to use, hence the codeshare. Seat 4D on the US E-Jets is perfectly fine for a 30 minute flight.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
What's ridiculous about it?
What's ridiculous is that since the mileage programs have been merged, by now elites of either program should be treated exactly the same no matter where they booked, what ticket stock or airline, codeshare or not. Basic airline merger procedures should have equalized elites of both programs by matching status across both (even UA/CO's merger debacle got this part right). It would have eliminated this whole problem, but for some reason AA skipped this step. It's not about the best it works for me, it's about making it equal across the board. But thanks for the "righteously indignant" lecture, professor.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
What's ridiculous is that since the mileage programs have been merged, by now elites of either program should be treated exactly the same no matter where they booked, what ticket stock or airline, codeshare or not. Basic airline merger procedures should have equalized elites of both programs by matching status across both (even UA/CO's merger debacle got this part right). It would have eliminated this whole problem, but for some reason AA skipped this step. It's not about the best it works for me, it's about making it equal across the board. But thanks for the "righteously indignant" lecture, professor.

This post is so way off base and shows such a lack of understanding of the merged program.

1) There are no "elites of either program". There are only just elites of AAdvantage. One program, thats it.

2) Even prior to the merger of the programs, you could not get upgraded on a codeshare regardless of if you were an AA or US elite.

3) What equalization of elites?!?! Refer back to statement #1. This is only one program now.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles

This post is so way off base and shows such a lack of understanding of the merged program.

1) There are no "elites of either program". There are only just elites of AAdvantage. One program, thats it.

2) Even prior to the merger of the programs, you could not get upgraded on a codeshare regardless of if you were an AA or US elite.

3) What equalization of elites?!?! Refer back to statement #1. This is only one program now.
1) Of course there is only one program, NOW. The programs should have been cross matched a long time ago, giving us the freedom to book on either carrier at the same status.

2) I never said you could.

3) Refer back to one indeed.

Who cares about any of that, my point is with one program and one operating certificate by now there shouldn't be a problem upgrading on either carrier, regardless of ticket stock.

Upped your rolly eyes by one. :-P
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:58 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
1) Of course there is only one program, NOW. The programs should have been cross matched a long time ago, giving us the freedom to book on either carrier at the same status.
Who cares about any of that, my point is with one program and one operating certificate by now there shouldn't be a problem upgrading on either carrier, regardless of ticket stock.
I actually applaud AA for taking a phased approach to the merger. Yes, it's an inconvenience to have limited upgrade opportunities on one kind of ticket versus another. But really, these are 1st world problems and I'm fine with this temporary inconvenience.

We remember what happened when CO-UA merged their loyalty programs *AND* their computer systems on the same weekend. It was an unmitigated disaster and the press and flying public were quite vocal about it. Doug and company also have some bad experience with their own HP-US reservation system merger 8 years ago that they don't want to repeat either. Let's give these folks some credit for making the merger, so far, mostly painless and smooth for the majority of their customers.

By comparison, this different approach AA is taking has avoided some potential, large pitfalls.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by PHL
But really, these are 1st world problems and I'm fine with this temporary inconvenience.
The whole of FT is nothing but "1st world problems". lol
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP

2) I never said you could.

3) Refer back to one indeed.

Upped your rolly eyes by one. :-P
Right from the website. They are still under two completely different reservations systems. Also, they sent out a bunch of emails reference this as well. So I guess in your case, lets not look at our email or check on the website and then whine like a baby. Have fun in coach!

Upgrades on codeshare flights
Upgrades on codeshares, flights marketed by American and operated by US Airways, or flights marketed by US Airways and operated by American, will continue to be offered based on availability at check-in only by the airline operating your flight. The policy of the airline operating the flight will determine your upgrade benefits.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
I don't think this correct... I was auto upgraded on 3 of 4 US flights for next week at the ExP window. They were booked on US ticket stock (037) using my Aadvantage number. I am a legacy AA ExP member. Are you sure you didn't book a codeshare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.