Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

How does US determine that no seats are available (for mobile upgrade/standby lists)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does US determine that no seats are available (for mobile upgrade/standby lists)?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

On the US website, when you check a flight status, you can also check the standby lists and upgrade lists. Both show the number of people checked in and the number of seats available.

How does US determine, so often, that 0 seats are available for both standbys and upgrades?

Does US just use an algorithm that figures out that there will be no seats, or does it just show that there are no seats in a particular fare bucket?

I'd like to Move Up to morning or early afternoon flight tomorrow (LGA-CLT) but everything shows 0 seats available. From past experience, even though both lists show 0 seats available, a few will end up available. It would be great if the number of available seats would be more precise.

Thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
My experience has been that the number of seats available does match inventory in both coach and first. In your case tomorrow via ExpertFlyer this also seems the case:

Flights 1808 (959am), 1841 (1120am), and 1799 (245pm) are zeroed out in all fare classes, and 1719 (1pm) shows F0 Y1. On the mobile site, 1719 shows 0 available seats, which makes sense as someone purchasing the remaining coach fare would be an oversell. The other flights also show 0 seats available on the mobile site as expected.

If seats do free up, it would seem to be due to changes in reservations or people missing their flights. Naturally you can stand by for a full flight but you'd need inventory to free up to do a Move Up.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Keep in mind that NY schools are out for the next week so flights are going to be pretty full over the weekend. I'm on track to miss my first upgrade ever ALB-CLT on Sunday as my flight was down to F1 before the CP window and I am traveling with my fiancee. They even bumped the morning CLT flight to a 321 on Sunday when usually it is some combination of 319, E175, and CR9, and the 321 is F1 Y0.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks. On a flight yesterday, I checked the standby list numbers after I boarded, and they don't make sense to me:

When I boarded (32 minutes before departure), 165 were checked in and there were 171 seats. 0 seats showed as available- although surely nobody else would be checking in that late (so it was likely that 6 seats would be available).

10 minutes or so before departure, 3 standbys were processed (#2-#4 on the list, but skipping #1). The mobile site then said that there were 171 seats, 168 checked in (which was correct), and 1 was available- although surely 3 seats were actually still free.

Then a few minutes after the scheduled departure time, I'd guess after "last call" was made, there were 171 seats, 166 checked in and 0 available-- even though there were surely really 5 seats unfilled.

I do not understand this--if there were fewer check-ins than seats, why did 0 seats appear available when there should have been a few available (the total number of seats minus the number of check-ins)?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Things such as weight restrictions, inop seats, etc. can all reduce the available inventory. So in those cases, while it may look like seats should be available, they really arent.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: Formerly US CP & AA EXP, now Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
On the US website, when you check a flight status, you can also check the standby lists and upgrade lists.
Apologies for asking something that, after all these years, I should know. But I don't, so how does one check the upgrade list?

Many thanks.

David
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidl
Apologies for asking something that, after all these years, I should know. But I don't, so how does one check the upgrade list?

Many thanks.

David
Go to the US Airways mobile website (usairways.com on on your phone, or m.usairways.com on a regular computer). Check the flight status, and on the flight status screen there are buttons for "Standby List" and "Upgrade List". Click on the button you want and the list will appear.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: Formerly US CP & AA EXP, now Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Go to the US Airways mobile website (usairways.com on on your phone, or m.usairways.com on a regular computer).
Thank you!!

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.