Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more pillows in domestic First Class - aligning with AA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I've been on the AA side and without pillows on anything but a transcon, but even then I don't miss them. Any flight that I'd want a pillow on I take my own as that soft thing they call a pillow doesn't help me any with head support in any position where I'd want to sleep. I think its good to remove them as they mostly just got put in the footwell when I was on anything but a TATL or TPAC flight.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:40 pm

I always end up playing the head bob game when using the pillows, so they just get in the way.

Now, opening up the F lav to Y is . Last thing I want is people constantly going up and down that aisle to the point where you can only get restful sleep in a window seat.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: WFBF
Four segments in F the past few days, all with blanket and no pillow.

I always just tossed both of them in the overhead bin as soon as I got to the seat, so not really missing 'em. I have an actual pillow for long flights.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I can't think of anything more nasty on an airplane than the pillow. (Well the lavatories give them a good run for their money). Never use them. Whenever one is placed on the seat, I always put in it the overhead or on the floor.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:27 am

No more pillows in domestic First Class - aligning with AA

Pillows weren't that bad as far as being clean, the pillowcases were changed just about every leg. It's the blankets that are reused during the day. As I said before, and people are verifying the pillows almost always ended up on the floor, in the overhead or occasionally "walking" to Y. Very rarely did anyone actually use them.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
You mean AA F (regional/midcons) didn't have pillows? Didn't realize that. I thought all AA F flights had pillows, in addition to the blankets.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
I've also noticed the pillows missing from my last few flights in US F. I almost always found myself stuffing the pillow next to the seat the moment I sat down through, so I can't say I'm directly affected by the change. I'll lump this into the category of cost-saving moves that I only begrudge because it reminds me they're pinching every penny, not because I actually want a pillow.

It seems to me that a reasonable solution would be for a supply of pillows to still be stocked on board and offered as an option to FC pax, but not simply waiting on every seat.

"Can I offer you a drink prior to takeoff?
Yes, double scotch on the rocks please.
Will you be needing a pillow as well?"
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Anyone have an idea of how much pillow savings money we are talking about here? Those things can't cost US more than a dollar or two. Will they charge for sodas again next? IMO This is an example of dumb cost cutting.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
I bring an inflatable on by travelrest. It's pretty unwieldy, but does the job. I prefer to not have to use it, but now I guess I will. I don't like the ones that go around the neck and you can't compress and slip in a bag. Personal taste.
Oh well.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I am one who liked the pillows. I know that some don't use them but to say that 99% don't doesn't mesh with what I see on my flights.

I am not thrilled about this, as it is just one more thing I now need to bring with me that I really don't have any room for.

I can see having a smaller number if they don't seem to all be used, available if requested.

Does AA also have only 1 litre bottles of water on flights? Anyone know if we will be able to get a bottle of water if we want one anytime soon?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I can't think of anything more nasty on an airplane than the pillow.
How come so many people think the pillows are nasty yet have no problem resting their heads against the same seat backs that thousands of other people have used?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tommyleo
How come so many people think the pillows are nasty yet have no problem resting their heads against the same seat backs that thousands of other people have used?
Because the seatback headrests haven't been put on the floor and rubbed around by shoeless, sockless feet.

Or used to cushion those same feet on the bulkhead -- or arm rest in front, or on top of a computer bag.

Or sat on and used as a catalytic converter in all the way across the country.

Or used to muffle a sneeze because there was nothing else.

Stuff like that.

I've seen all of this -- and none of it is particularly rare.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:36 pm

My skin doesn't touch the seat back though
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Because the seatback headrests haven't been put on the floor and rubbed around by shoeless, sockless feet.

Or used to cushion those same feet on the bulkhead -- or arm rest in front, or on top of a computer bag.

Or sat on and used as a catalytic converter in all the way across the country.

Or used to muffle a sneeze because there was nothing else.

Stuff like that.

I've seen all of this -- and none of it is particularly rare.
Fair enough. But dirty heads have for hours at a time touched the same seat backs that we all put our heads against. It's funny what people choose to ignore.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
If the headrest looks dirty, I sometimes will use a handy wipe on it. Moreover, the headrest only touches the back of my head; not my face. And previous users of that headrest were less likely breathing or coughing into it; and in some cases not sitting on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.