Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IFE, meals, and other flight enhancements (03/26/14 Announcement)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
Originally Posted by MAH4546
AA was the first U.S. airline to offer lie flat in business class back in 2006. It was hardly behind anything. US Airways, meanwhile, takes a wonderful business class seat and screws it up. The Envoy seats, as trimmed, are a complete embarrassment. AA hopefully removes them or keeps them for mid-haul flying where they are acceptable.
Trying not to say too much that's already been said; have you flow US Air in Envoy? I don't feel it's fair to make such extreme remarks without having tried the product

From personal experience, I thought US Air's seat would have been more comfortable than even the Emirates J seat I flew in were it not for Emirates offering a mattress pad. I think, like many have said, the hard product in Envoy had been excellent (all seats have aisle access, the pods provide a fair amount of privacy, good storage, decent IFE, seats actually lie and feel flat) Yes, the soft product could be improved, but hard product wise, I think US had it down.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: Formerly US CP & AA EXP, now Gold
Originally Posted by McSam18
I actually preferred the food and service in Envoy more than I did in J on my Lufthansa flight that trip.
Too right. And I would add that the food in Envoy were better than business class on SAS to CPH from either IAD or EWR.

Best,

David
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
AA was the first U.S. airline to offer lie flat in business class back in 2006.
Actually, Northwest started installing angle-flat seats in 2003. Though I'm sure they don't count on some technicality.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by dtremit
Actually, Northwest started installing angle-flat seats in 2003. Though I'm sure they don't count on some technicality.
Correct, they don't actually go 180 degrees; close (like 170 or so), but not 180.

Originally Posted by akelkar
Trying not to say too much that's already been said; have you flow US Air in Envoy? I don't feel it's fair to make such extreme remarks without having tried the product
Yes, the service and quality was about on par with a Euro carrier's premium economy (which, given the price, actually was fine). The seats were just really cheaply upholstered and could stand for new materials.

I've also seen Envoy as a Y+ product with a J seat. US has priced it accordingly, so to that end, there's no complaint.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:50 pm

Correct, they don't actually go 180 degrees; close (like 170 or so), but not 180.
Neither do AA's; they're 171 degrees. (Slightly better than CO at 170 degrees, but NW's were actually 176 degrees.)
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
The US and AA seat are from the same manufacturer-B/E Aerospace, only thing is AA has the 7-series model and US has the 3-series model.

Having flown both seats, the AA suite is far more private as it has a larger shell enclosing it, better padding, more storage and of course better IFE content.

http://www.jpadesign.com/transport/project/7

Let's not forget that US is the airline that doesn't activate the IFE system when flying domestically because they are too stingy to get adequate licensing from the content providers. It's non-sense like this that AA pax don't want to be a part of through this stupid merger.

And now the truth comes out. Your last sentence says it all....

Your comments about service execution are spot on and I'll agree with them. US execution is usually not as polished as other carriers. But the hard and soft product in Envoy is very, very comparable to other airlines' J class, especially the other US majors. This attitude that AA is SQ and US is like Cubana is silly. Maybe 10 years ago. But not today. I really encourage you to try Envoy as it really is quite pleasant.

However, domestic is a different story. I will admit that I hands down look forward to US raising up to the AA standard.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: None
The US and AA seat are from the same manufacturer-B/E Aerospace, only thing is AA has the 7-series model and US has the 3-series model.
The Envoy seats US uses are from Zodiac, formerly part of Webber. US uses the Cirrus seats with full flat recline. The only complaints I've read are that companions traveling together have a harder time conversing due to the herringbone layout. If AA's seats don't have full flat recline they're not the same seat.

Jim
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum

Having flown both seats, the AA suite is far more private as it has a larger shell enclosing it, better padding, more storage and of course better IFE content.

http://www.jpadesign.com/transport/project/7

Let's not forget that US is the airline that doesn't activate the IFE system when flying domestically because they are too stingy to get adequate licensing from the content providers. It's non-sense like this that AA pax don't want to be a part of through this stupid merger.
This is incorrect. The business-class seat in the new AA A321 is made by B/E Aerospace. The first-class seat on the new AA A321, and the business-class seat on the AA 77W (and US A330) are made by Sicma/Zodiac, as is stated in the link you provided.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtremit
Neither do AA's; they're 171 degrees. (Slightly better than CO at 170 degrees, but NW's were actually 176 degrees.)
Uhh, Barney Gimbel of Fortune magazine doesn't understand geometry.

AA's crummy angled-flat seats recline to 180 degrees and make a flat surface, albeit one that is angled about nine degrees away from horizontal. Barney Gimbel then subtracted that nine degrees to arrive at the ignorant (and factually incorrect) conclusion that AA's seats recline to only 171 degrees.

180 degree flat seats aren't necessarily parallel to the floor, and AA's crummy NGBC seats are no exception. Just like the seats at LH and JL and other airlines that haven't replaced slanty seats with parallel to the floor flat seats.

The NW seats, on the other hand, did not recline a full 180 degrees, rather they reclined to 176 degrees.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
AA's crummy angled-flat seats recline to 180 degrees and make a flat surface, albeit one that is angled about nine degrees away from horizontal. Barney Gimbel then subtracted that nine degrees to arrive at the ignorant (and factually incorrect) conclusion that AA's seats recline to only 171 degrees.

[...]

The NW seats, on the other hand, did not recline a full 180 degrees, rather they reclined to 176 degrees.
The difference between 176 degrees and 180 degrees on a padded seat isn't visible. So I'm sticking to published references here, and I can find none that refer to AA's seat as 180 degrees, and a lot of references to them reclining to 171 degrees. If you'd like to provide a counter-reference I'd be happy to admit I'm wrong.

Regardless, it's losing sight of the initial point, which is that AA wasn't breaking any particularly new ground with its seats in 2006. They rolled out -- to use your term -- "crummy angle flat seats," when several other US carriers already had angle flat seats, and European carriers had actual flat beds. At the time, their PR people admitted openly that they'd considered fully flat seats but "We'd lose a whole row of seats if we went completely flat." The WSJ at the time opined that "American couldn't wait any longer to place its new-seat wager."

The American of 2006 was not an airline that was innovating; it was an airline that was grudgingly catching up, and doing so on the cheap.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: None
The US 767 Envoy seats are the 170 degree recline, flat on an angle seat. Lots of US FFers don't like the 767 seat nearly as much as the A330 true horizontal flat seat in part because of that 10 degree difference.

The old A330 seats in what was generally referred to as row 1 started life as international FC under Wolf. They were a true 180 degree recline, horizontal seat when fully reclined and believe it or not there is a difference between a 170 degree recline and a true flat, horizontal seat for sleeping.

Jim
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:06 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Originally Posted by TPJ
Nice!

DL and UA are pi!!!!g their elites off. If new AA does it right, they may be the winner...
So, so, SO true. I really hope AA's leadership has the intelligence to see that there's an opportunity to capture business from people who are sick of DL and UA's antics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.