Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways flights - seat selection ripoff?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

US Airways flights - seat selection ripoff?

Hi guys,

I was looking at JAX - CLT - SFO return flights 3/18 - 3/25 and around 11am I saw a flight SFO - MIA - JAX from noon - 7PM, which wasn't available after I went home to get my US Airways credit card. I understand award flights get booked quick sometimes so no grudge here. However, earlier I know for a fact that JAX - CLT flight's seat 6c was available, but now they are charging $18 for it and a lot of seats available previously are no longer available? This is somewhat ridiculous and I'm trying to call customer service, but they are saying they are busy and to call back.

Instead of doing SFO - MIA - JAX, now I have to do SFO - DFW - CLT - JAX and it's 4 hours longer travel time

Is this normal practice or what? This is my first time booking US Airways flights.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by cronin85
Hi guys,

I was looking at JAX - CLT - SFO return flights 3/18 - 3/25 and around 11am I saw a flight SFO - MIA - JAX from noon - 7PM, which wasn't available after I went home to get my US Airways credit card. I understand award flights get booked quick sometimes so no grudge here. However, earlier I know for a fact that JAX - CLT flight's seat 6c was available, but now they are charging $18 for it and a lot of seats available previously are no longer available? This is somewhat ridiculous and I'm trying to call customer service, but they are saying they are busy and to call back.

Instead of doing SFO - MIA - JAX, now I have to do SFO - DFW - CLT - JAX and it's 4 hours longer travel time

Is this normal practice or what? This is my first time booking US Airways flights.
6C is a choice seat it sounds like, they always cost money and do not book them if you have status - all it gives you is a seat closer to the front of the plane and earlier boarding zone, no extra leg room. You should be able to get a preferred seat in an exit row or bulkhead for no price if you have US or AA status.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Not sure how any of what you are referring to is a "ripoff". Anyway, looking at the JAX-CLT leg on 3/18 shows that 6C is a Choice seat on all the flights. Was it available earlier as a non-choice seat? Possibly but doesn't seem likely. Are you sure you are looking at the same flight as you looked at earlier?

Also, the JAX-CLT flights that day all seem to have some, if not many, available non-choice seats. Many of those seats are aisles and windows.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lizs
6C is a choice seat it sounds like, they always cost money and do not book them if you have status - all it gives you is a seat closer to the front of the plane and earlier boarding zone, no extra leg room. You should be able to get a preferred seat in an exit row or bulkhead for no price if you have US or AA status.
Originally Posted by justhere
Not sure how any of what you are referring to is a "ripoff". Anyway, looking at the JAX-CLT leg on 3/18 shows that 6C is a Choice seat on all the flights. Was it available earlier as a non-choice seat? Possibly but doesn't seem likely. Are you sure you are looking at the same flight as you looked at earlier?

Also, the JAX-CLT flights that day all seem to have some, if not many, available non-choice seats. Many of those seats are aisles and windows.
I have no status and I see it's a choice seat, but I'm 98% sure that same seat earlier was available for no charge. I know it doesn't have any more legroom, but I'm just puzzled how they are charging for it now when it was free earlier. Maybe I'm just tripping.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by cronin85
I have no status and I see it's a choice seat, but I'm 98% sure that same seat earlier was available for no charge. I know it doesn't have any more legroom, but I'm just puzzled how they are charging for it now when it was free earlier. Maybe I'm just tripping.
If you're worried about getting the award, why not book the award now and not select a seat. You can worry about seat selection later. Calling during a huge snow storm for something like this is going to take you a long time on hold and probably not get a sympathetic agent.

Keep in mind that seats can be assigned up to and including at the gate-- you can always book a seat now and ask at the gate if a better seat is available.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this pertains to the pre-merger US Airways, it is being moved to that forum.

As noted in the Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, questions and information pertaining to the existing AA or US operations should go in those forums as it will be quite some time before the two entities operate as a single airline.

Your understanding is appreciated.

/Moderator
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Maybe that 2% is the correct 6C is always a choice seat on all mainland flights!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.