Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Promotion: 50% bonus on American flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum Card, Global Entry
New Promotion: 50% bonus on American flights

US Airways has announced a new promo:

Get 50% more Dividend Miles for every American Airlines flight

Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Hmmm, slight arbitrage opportunity? It seems like it's probably worth registering with your DM number to earn miles, assuming that they'll be able to be transferred ultimately.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
"Bonus miles do not count toward Dividend Miles Preferred status."

Meh.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by jabrams72
Hmmm, slight arbitrage opportunity? It seems like it's probably worth registering with your DM number to earn miles, assuming that they'll be able to be transferred ultimately.
A US elite cannot get upgraded on AA flights, so one must determine if it's worth the 50% extra non-PQM's while sacrificing the possibility of a seat up front.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tommyleo
A US elite cannot get upgraded on AA flights, so one must determine if it's worth the 50% extra non-PQM's while sacrificing the possibility of a seat up front.
Of course, if the alternative is a UA flight...
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum Card, Global Entry
Exactly. I choose the upgrade unless I need to get somewhere US does not fly.

Here's to hoping they figure out upgrades quickly. Wonder if Chairman's preferred get free food and drink in coach when flying on AA?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
Seems like a good deal. Don't have any AA trips planned, but this would make me more open to take advantage of the opportunity and see what the other 'half' offers.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
On the US side, you're right. At least domestically, I'll use my US number on US metal to keep the upgrade hope. But maybe do a last minute switch if chances are looking slim. And AA number for any single-class RJ flights.

AA has a similar offer for US flights. I'm traveling in 2 weeks on a flight where I may not want to burn my upgrade stickers, so on that one, I'll consider my US number for the 50% bonus.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:23 am

Aren't US CP's already automatically getting 100% bonus miles if they fly on AA now?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
But I take it AAdvantage members get Bupkis on US flights right?

Never mind, just saw the other offer for AA on the other thread

thats the problem with running multiple threads for the same airline
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by travel4b
Aren't US CP's already automatically getting 100% bonus miles if they fly on AA now?
Yes -- under this promo, CPs will get 150% instead of 100%. But this is open to any DM member, so far as I can tell.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is open to everyone who registers.

The quirk I am enjoying is that as a US Silver I get more miles on US metal (50% bonus) using a non-status AAdvantage account than my US Silver account. Ditto on AA metal for an AAdvantage Gold earning only 25% versus a non-status USDM account which will earn 50% extra.

Of course, you have to play the bonus miles against the other benefits to decide which way to go (or try to change the FF# last minute and get all the benefits).
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by LSUTigerWes
Exactly. I choose the upgrade unless I need to get somewhere US does not fly.

Here's to hoping they figure out upgrades quickly. Wonder if Chairman's preferred get free food and drink in coach when flying on AA?
It was confirmed in the new AA forum that US CP to get free F&B in coach on AA flights.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
It was confirmed in the new AA forum that US CP to get free F&B in coach on AA flights.
But, it is not a stated benefit on the AA website for US CP as yet. Glad to hear as a benefit to the US CP folks (as this is the road to full mutual benefits). So, if they indeed see a US CP as an EXP on their system, great.

Wonder how they see US Plats on that same system.

Rasheed
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by rasheed
But, it is not a stated benefit on the AA website for US CP as yet. Glad to hear as a benefit to the US CP folks (as this is the road to full mutual benefits). So, if they indeed see a US CP as an EXP on their system, great.

Wonder how they see US Plats on that same system.

Rasheed
I can't remember exactly where it was posted. I think in the reciprocal benefits page. The poster did say they showed up as an EXP even though they are Us Cp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.