Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Prior to booking flights on partner airlines, it is a good idea to check the the US Airways Partner Earning Page.

It is always a good idea to save your boarding pass and any other booking materials, as this may be needed if the miles don't automatically post.
Print Wikipost

Earning US Miles on Partner Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Historically, US' earning policies have always been based on their chart for the operating airline, not the airline marketing/ticketing a codeshare. I have yet to see any mention of changes to that on the US side, so I would assume that the JAL charts on us.com would apply.

That being said, the fact that you have a note documented in your account from a rep assuring that you'll receive 100% is a definitely in your favor. I still think you'll only receive the lower credit when the flights automatically post, but you should have an easy case to claim the balance.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
This is the source of my confusion. I believe the text of the page on Michael's link refers specifically to JAL flights booked on <jal.com>. It does not reference AA-marketed and numbered flights on JAL metal. Check http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...nAirlines.html, which reads: "Earn miles when you book with American Airlines and fly on American marketed and operated flights for travel on an eligible published fare ticket" and shows a 100% rate. But who knows?

Since AAdvantage gets full EQM credit, why shouldn't DM get the same treatment? DMSC has double-checked and assured me (after an initial reaction to the contrary) that I would get 100% EQM credit, and the agent put a note into my DM account saying so.

So here's the question: Has anyone actually flown an AA-numbered codeshare flight (JAL or other operator) booked on AA web site with a discounted coach booking code? If so, did you get full DM EQMs for the flight?
Believe me I was very confused as well. I flew CGK-NRT last week on an AA codeshare operated by JL. The way I understood codeshares (and I'm in the industry, so doubly confusing!!!) the operating carrier booking code would determine the earning, with AA being an exception case. That's why I placed my AA EXP number in for the JL flight, and it was on my JL-issued boarding pass. However, when I got to NRT I had the AAgent switch my AA number to my US number for the onward AA flights (I'm qualifying for CP instead of EXP this year). I specifically told her to associate the US number only to the AA segments (AA has that ability in Sabre).

Well, apparently she did not do this correctly and the US number retroactively applied to the JL flight. Surprisingly however, the flight posted to US as if it were an AA flight. Received 100% as well as the US Platinum bonus:

Yeah, I can't explain it but I would say you're safe and it will credit as 100% as if it were an AA flight.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Qantas Saver Fare earns 100% DM?

Hello,
I'm trying to find a long flight that I can earn some miles on. I found a Qantas flight DFW-SYD, which is 19K miles RT. The fare just says "Saver".
I looked in the fine print and don't see anything. I know for discount fares on Qantas, I can earn anywhere from 25%-75% miles, but it lists out specific fare types. Nowhere is Saver listed. Anyone have experience with these Qantas fares, and know how much Dividend Miles they accrue? It says on Qantas that Saver is an economy fare-not much help.

Also, any other suggestions on MRs that are about 20K miles RT, at a reasonable rate, which accrue @ 100%, looking around Christmas-12/1, or week of Thanksgiving.
Thanks a lot!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
One more thing, would love to be able to use on CP certs to upgrade, but realize that is unlikely.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You cannot upgrade using anything other than Qantas FF points

there are ways to determine the class by looking at the source code of the web page, but not that easy; simplest method would be to book on another site

Only K,H,B,Y fares earn 100% , so a cheap economy ticket is unlikely to be earning anything more than 50%

for a 100% earning fare , you will be looking at a fare of about $2500 , for 50% earning about $1925 with anything cheaper likely to be 25% ( using ITA to obtain S and K fares )

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 11, 2014 at 12:00 pm
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
US PQM on BA codeshare/Vueling Operated Flight?

Hey guys - anybody have any experience with a BA codeshare flight operated by vueling? Booking through BA.com shows that it books into a Q fare which is earns 100% pqm on flights operated and/or marketed by BA. Would this be considered a BA marketed flight?

Go Gators
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Hello all,

I'm still trying to get my head around the change from earning as per operating carrier to as per marketing carrier. I'm clear that from a USDM perspective earning is:

As per fare class for any Oneworld operated AND marketed flight (same airline for both)
As per marketing carrier fare class for any Oneworld operated AND marketed flight, where US Airways is one of these

But can anyone 100% confirm what happens where both operating AND marketing carriers are Oneworld, but neither is US Airways. Oneworld rules suggest as long as both are full Oneworld members, you earn as per marketing carrier.

So if I fly Finnair on a BA code, as long as the BA code earns 100%, I'll earn 100%? Correct?

Likewise if I fly on Malaysian but on a Royal Jordanian flight number, I'll earn as per Royal Jordanian? Correct?

What's muddying the waters for me is I flew BMA-HEL last week on Flybe (who operate for Finnair) but on a BA flight number as part of a longer itinerary. This flight initially posted at a 500 mile minimum but today, I see this has been reversed, with the sector reading "CLASS BOOKED IS INVALID FOR CARRIER".

I don't mind losing these 500 miles but what's worrying me is HEL-JFK (significantly more miles) where I flew on Finnair metal but a BA codeshare. Under Oneworld rules, this should earn as per BA, and indeed my 100% miles have posted. But given the reversal of BMA-HEL above, should I be worried about these disappearing too, as this would leave me short for Gold? Or is the reason for the above purely related to Flybe being the operating carrier?

Many thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
So if I fly Finnair on a BA code, as long as the BA code earns 100%, I'll earn 100%? Correct?

Likewise if I fly on Malaysian but on a Royal Jordanian flight number, I'll earn as per Royal Jordanian? Correct?

What's muddying the waters for me is I flew BMA-HEL last week on Flybe (who operate for Finnair) but on a BA flight number as part of a longer itinerary. This flight initially posted at a 500 mile minimum but today, I see this has been reversed, with the sector reading "CLASS BOOKED IS INVALID FOR CARRIER".
Look here

"Historically, US' earning policies have always been based on their chart for the operating airline, not the airline marketing/ticketing a codeshare"

Edit: Correction on this post... the 500mile min only applies to OW partners and AA codeshares. BA codeshare wouldnt be applicable for 500 mile minimum mileage.

Last edited by carsnoceans; Nov 21, 2014 at 3:59 pm
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Paid Upgrades on Paid British Airways ticket (USAirways PQMs)

If someone purchases a ticket on British Airways using cash, and then pays cash again to upgrade to the next class up (World Traveller Plus or Business) and credits the flight(s) to USAirways will they receive the class of service bonus of 10% or 25% respectively?

I guess I am wondering what fare class British Airways reports to USAirways on paid upgrades, as the fare class reported determines the number of pqm(s) and rdm(s) earned plus elite status bonus rdm(s).

Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Joe1690
If someone purchases a ticket on British Airways using cash, and then pays cash again to upgrade to the next class up (World Traveller Plus or Business) and credits the flight(s) to USAirways will they receive the class of service bonus of 10% or 25% respectively?

I guess I am wondering what fare class British Airways reports to USAirways on paid upgrades, as the fare class reported determines the number of pqm(s) and rdm(s) earned plus elite status bonus rdm(s).

Thanks!
I'm assuming you did one of those proactive upgrades that BA offers? If so it scarily books into one of their award upgrade fares which actually earns zero miles. But, good news, apparently that's meaningless (not sure what the term is but it isn't reported as a reward fare when BA remits the flight to US) as you are still guaranteed to get mileage for the original fare code. However there have been sporadic reports that AA FF customers got the class of service bonus when they upgraded to business or first. There is a thread in the BA forum that talks about it, i can't find it right now. Also, BA FF's get the class of service bonus and indeed lots of their FF's do the cash upgrade so that they can get the additional Avios tier points. I have a flight coming next month on BA which i booked into coach but did a the cash upgrade to business so I'll report back...Let us know if you find out before hand.

Also, my BA codeshare operated by Vueling question still stands if anybody knows the answer...

Go Gators
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Originally Posted by GNVGator
I'm assuming you did one of those proactive upgrades that BA offers? If so it scarily books into one of their award upgrade fares which actually earns zero miles. But, good news, apparently that's meaningless (not sure what the term is but it isn't reported as a reward fare when BA remits the flight to US) as you are still guaranteed to get mileage for the original fare code. However there have been sporadic reports that AA FF customers got the class of service bonus when they upgraded to business or first. There is a thread in the BA forum that talks about it, i can't find it right now. Also, BA FF's get the class of service bonus and indeed lots of their FF's do the cash upgrade so that they can get the additional Avios tier points. I have a flight coming next month on BA which i booked into coach but did a the cash upgrade to business so I'll report back...Let us know if you find out before hand.

Also, my BA codeshare operated by Vueling question still stands if anybody knows the answer...

Go Gators
Thanks! I bit the bullet and will be flying tomorrow.

I didn't really want to spend the money initially but after reading the terrible reviews on the 787 World Traveller class seats which are supposedly 16.9", I just couldn't bear to endure that torture on this flight. Coming over on the 777 was okay but not as comfortable as USAirways A330 because the seat is about 0.5 inches smaller but 16.9" is just insane for a 7 hour flight.

It most definitely did book into BA's award class which was scary as you mentioned. However, after reading the terms & conditions which specifically stated that British Airways members would earn miles for the upgraded fare class and noting that both British Airways and the USAirways website detailing eligible fare classes are the same, I bit the bullet figuring that British Airways would at least report the original fare class, and more than likely would report a World Traveller Plus fare class that is eligible for bonus points. I will let everyone know how things turn out as soon as the miles post to USAirways.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Joe1690
Thanks! I bit the bullet and will be flying tomorrow.

I didn't really want to spend the money initially but after reading the terrible reviews on the 787 World Traveller class seats which are supposedly 16.9", I just couldn't bear to endure that torture on this flight. Coming over on the 777 was okay but not as comfortable as USAirways A330 because the seat is about 0.5 inches smaller but 16.9" is just insane for a 7 hour flight.

It most definitely did book into BA's award class which was scary as you mentioned. However, after reading the terms & conditions which specifically stated that British Airways members would earn miles for the upgraded fare class and noting that both British Airways and the USAirways website detailing eligible fare classes are the same, I bit the bullet figuring that British Airways would at least report the original fare class, and more than likely would report a World Traveller Plus fare class that is eligible for bonus points. I will let everyone know how things turn out as soon as the miles post to USAirways.
Any update Joe? I have another cash upgrade offer pending, waiting to see if you get the COS...Didn't know about the 16.9 that's insane. Especially since the 787 was built specifically for the "long/thin flights".

Go Gators
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: US, HH
Recently flew CX operated flights with AA flight numbers, fare clasess N and L, and both posted 100% US PQM.

So that answers my own question:
Originally Posted by GrjApp
I read through the thread and still not entirely clear on earning US PQM on an AA-numbered flight but operated by CX (itinerary sold on AA.com).
And the same question of PhoenixCMC
Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
So here's the question: Has anyone actually flown an AA-numbered codeshare flight (JAL or other operator) booked on AA web site with a discounted coach booking code? If so, did you get full DM EQMs for the flight?
And confirms same as denCSA encountered.
Originally Posted by denCSA
Well, apparently she did not do this correctly and the US number retroactively applied to the JL flight. Surprisingly however, the flight posted to US as if it were an AA flight. Received 100% as well as the US Platinum bonus:
Yeah, I can't explain it but I would say you're safe and it will credit as 100% as if it were an AA flight.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAX NRT is 5451 miles From the USDM web site JAL N class earns 30% = 1635 USD miles
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I have a different situation. Most comments have been about OW-operated an marketed flights except for Vueling but mine is similar to that. I have booked what appears to be an Etihad codeshare operated by American. I have 2 confirmation codes - one by Etihad, another by American. I have my US FF# in my American confirmation but that doesn't propagate to Etihad as that displays my Etihad number. Other than that, all other info is synced - if a seat is changed in either reservation, the other one reflects it. So, here's the issue - US and Etihad don't have a FF relationship, only AA and EY do. I want to earn Preferred miles on the AA segments, so if what everyone is saying that the operating airline is the one US uses (they can't use the marketing carrier as they don't have a relationship with them), I should be able to get credit for that. I'm concerned though that this is on EY ticket stock and they don't have a relationship with US, so how can US claim the miles? Marketing and ticketing carriers have been discussed but ticket stock has never been mentioned if it matters or not. Those are 2 transatlantic flights, so I'd rather not lose those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.