FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   100% Share Miles Bonus Returns - through Oct. 15, 2013 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1508224-100-share-miles-bonus-returns-through-oct-15-2013-a.html)

RTW1 Oct 6, 2013 7:38 am

It's all done internally, no contact with either parties involved.

RTW1 Oct 6, 2013 10:48 am

Originally Posted by scottsam66 (Post 21560221)
I won't assume to have superior knowledge-- and don't you either. How's that?

Your argument was that US never intends for the share promotion to be used like it is by some...... Nonsense, you are making assumptions that are all in your mind and presenting them as fact. There is a T&C for these promotions, that have been running for years. A simple addition to those and they could achieve what you think they would like to permit. But they don't......

It's perfectly fine to share amongst family/friends or use miles when there is no compensation. But when you share with total strangers for the reward of getting a bonus the generic T&C's apply in which proffiting is frowned upon.

By the way USDM is running all these promo's it's quite clear they want to sell as many miles as possible without a lot of restrictions.

The people whos accounts were closed were almost all sharing/using miles with strangers.

svasandani Oct 6, 2013 1:03 pm

If I open a new account now can I still receive miles into that account through this share miles program. I know I won't be able to move miles out of this account since it will be less than 12 days on October 15

PVDtoDEL Oct 6, 2013 2:46 pm

To redeem from your account, they need your name and DM number. That's it.

Occasionally, they'll ask for DOB .

skagen Oct 6, 2013 3:37 pm

Quick data point that after deliberating whether it was worth doing, I pulled the trigger & shared 42k miles from me to wife and then 42k miles from wife to me. The adjustment to the # of points would reflect upon the next login and was immediate.

apeortdz Oct 6, 2013 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 21563839)
To redeem from your account, they need your name and DM number. That's it.

Occasionally, they'll ask for DOB .

Is this accurate? I need to make sure I shred my old BPs.

PVDtoDEL Oct 6, 2013 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz (Post 21564097)
Is this accurate? I need to make sure I shred my old BPs.

In the 25 awards I've booked in the past year, I can count one hand the number of times I was asked anything else.

It shouldn't be that big of a concern though - in order to book an award, the thief needs to provide their own name/DOB for SecureFlight.

travelkid Oct 6, 2013 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by svasandani (Post 21563415)
If I open a new account now can I still receive miles into that account through this share miles program. I know I won't be able to move miles out of this account since it will be less than 12 days on October 15

No problem.

scottsam66 Oct 6, 2013 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 21562850)
Your argument was that US never intends for the share promotion to be used like it is by some...... Nonsense, you are making assumptions that are all in your mind and presenting them as fact. There is a T&C for these promotions, that have been running for years. A simple addition to those and they could achieve what you think they would like to permit. But they don't......

It's perfectly fine to share amongst family/friends or use miles when there is no compensation. But when you share with total strangers for the reward of getting a bonus the generic T&C's apply in which proffiting is frowned upon.

By the way USDM is running all these promo's it's quite clear they want to sell as many miles as possible without a lot of restrictions.

The people whos accounts were closed were almost all sharing/using miles with strangers.

Dude- with all due respect... You need reading comprehension work. I started out saying "in my opinion". How exactly am I presenting anything as fact??
You are just sensitive. Maybe a guilty conscience, who knows.

If its all so legit, why all the cloak and dagger and worrying about when miles get posted in this thread?
It's still my OPINION (not presenting as fact), that US could be much more efficient by offering a 50% off mile sale, or something to that effect to accomplish the same thing. Why the ruse of sharing if they knew all would just manipulate the system to get 1/2 off miles. If that is acceptable, and fine, why not just offer it? Any ideas?

Again.... MY OPINION, not FACT

bevoinva Oct 6, 2013 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by scottsam66 (Post 21564476)
It's still my OPINION (not presenting as fact), that US could be much more efficient by offering a 50% off mile sale, or something to that effect to accomplish the same thing.

Well actually they DO pretty much offer a 50% off mile sale every month. :)

mintcilantro Oct 6, 2013 10:22 pm

Just shared miles in this order
A->B
B->C
B->A.

Posted instantly. All accounts have been open for a while. This way I ended up with 100k extra in my C's account and 50k extra in A's account.

A and C have US air MC, and will hit $25k spend this year and get award processing fees waived.

Points.com has terrible usability. The most annoying part was autofill wouldn't work for any of the fields.

burmans Oct 7, 2013 4:36 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 (Post 21562850)

Yes, agree with this. I think the speculation about the "spirit" of the promotion is just that, speculation. US have run this promo or similar a number of times, it would be easy easy to straight out prohibit back and forth transactions, the fact they haven't suggests they are happy with the T&C's the way they are. The bigger issue for them would be commercial exploitation which is against the T&C's.

SusanDK Oct 7, 2013 6:47 am

Originally Posted by mintcilantro (Post 21565521)
Just shared miles in this order
A->B
B->C
B->A.

Posted instantly. All accounts have been open for a while. This way I ended up with 100k extra in my C's account and 50k extra in A's account.

A and C have US air MC, and will hit $25k spend this year and get award processing fees waived.

Points.com has terrible usability. The most annoying part was autofill wouldn't work for any of the fields.

This is the exact type of trade I want to do, where A and C are my husband's and my accounts (same surname / address) and B is an account I opened six months ago for my mother (different surname / address).

I would log into the account in my mother's name after sharing 50,000 + 50,000 bonus to her, in order to share 50,000 each from her account to mine and my husband's.

I will use my credit card for all transactions. While I could use different credit cards, they would all be in my name and my address. Does anyone think this will cause a problem or delay?

What I want to avoid, is having to have her confirm anything by phone as she's 83 years old and wouldn't understand what's going on. :)

frankpark9 Oct 7, 2013 7:26 am

has anyone getting their credit cards denied? mine keep saying use another card. also happened to a friend of mine on his account too

lowfareair Oct 7, 2013 7:45 am

I just want to confirm, but I can share with multiple accounts from one account (A->B, A->C, A->D, etc.) and there is no cap to the bonus in that regard (assuming nobody else shares with them), correct?

Also, any input on the 12 day requirement for new accounts when reactivating an account? My friend has one with 4,000 miles in it that have expired but can be reactivated for $10. Is the account date considered the reactivation date or the original date?