Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman punches male FA in face on US 2051, PHL-MIA; draws blood

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by GAC
If I punched somebody in a mall would I be banned from all malls for the rest of my life?
Throwing a tantrum and attacking someone at the Orange Julius doesn't put 150 other people's safety in jeopardy. She's shown she doesn't have the adult judgement to avoid doing it in flight.

Not just the safety aspect but think of the potential cost to the airline and other passengers if she does this again and they must land en route to remove her. Even this incident on the ground probably cost US in terms of rebooking delayed passengers.

I wouldn't want to deal with the risk of carrying her again so wouldn't blame US and any others that ban her.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:36 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by perseus11
I would assume the FA, with that many witnesses, could easily get a high profile Philadelphia law firm to persue a Civil Suit on a contingency.
Better call Saul!
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
Better call Saul!
^
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:28 am
GAC
Suspended

Not sure how 150 other people's safety was in jeopardy unless if you mean what might of happened if the fight would have happened in flight and somehow both flight crews got involved and could no long fly the plane and.....

But then again I still don't get the special rock start status some give FA but that's a different subject for a different place.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Certainly, US Air will presumably ban her (unless they're good with sending their employees the message "we're OK with it if customers hit you."). If I were running Delta, United, etc., I'd ban her too. Somebody who has so little self-control that she punches an FA is someone my employees shouldn't have to deal with. They deserve better.
+1 for a ban. I just wish I could be sure US would do it.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It doesn't matter if it was an FA or a passenger, again it's the lack of self control on the plane that's the issue.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by GAC
But then again I still don't get the special rock start status some give FA but that's a different subject for a different place.
I own a business and I've been a supervisor or an employee in many others. If I'm the boss and a customer punches one of my people, you can be sure that he or she would no longer be a customer. And if I were an employee and my company failed to take that step to protect me, you can be sure I wouldn't be working there much longer.

US is perfectly justified in banning this cretin from its services. This has nothing to do with federal law or whether the cabin door is open or closed; nor does it have anything to do with giving or expecting rock star status. It's just basic respect and good management.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:16 pm
GAC
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCGooner
US is perfectly justified in banning this cretin from its services. This has nothing to do with federal law or whether the cabin door is open or closed; nor does it have anything to do with giving or expecting rock star status. It's just basic respect and good management.

Umm, maybe. But a suspension from US may be more reasonable. But there was a call to be on the no fly list which means no more flying anywhere with any airline.

In your example it's like if you owned a restaurant and the puncher could never eat out again.

Sorry, hitting a FA does not call for such a gross over reaction. No matter how some may love them they are just not THAT special.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by GAC
In your example it's like if you owned a restaurant and the puncher could never eat out again.
If you're going to restate my argument, at least do me the courtesy of doing it correctly. Where exactly did I say that she should be banned from flying altogether? What I said was that US (accepted shorthand for US Airways on this forum) is justified in banning her. At no point did I advocate placing her on a general no-fly list (although it wouldn't particularly bother me if she were). Instead of building up a straw man and knocking down, you're welcome to argue that someone who punches a waiter at Chili's shouldn't be banned chain-wide. I'd disagree, but at least you'd be on target.

And no, it's not a gross overreaction. You hit an employee, you shouldn't be welcome in that business. And it's the manager's job to make employees secure in the knowledge that assaults will be dealt with most severely.

It's the same for a bar, supermarket, what have you. It just so happens that US is an airline and a ban would hit harder than if she couldn't go to a particular chain of restaurants. However, that's the consequence you face.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:38 pm
GAC
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCGooner
At no point did I advocate placing her on a general no-fly list (although it wouldn't particularly bother me if she were).
I will give you $1000 for every instance you can find where I said that you did if you give me just $100 for every time it was suggested and agreed too.

Read what I actually said. I'm not defending the punch. Or removal. Or even criminal charges.

Putting on the No Fly List. Damn right I think it's stupid and uncalled for. Sad that it would not bother you but hope you will still pay up despite getting all mad about misquoting while doing the exact same thing.

Or is it that you don't know what happens to those on the list?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trooper
Some time ago at SYD a passenger (who was refused check in for arriving after the cutoff) TWICE assaulted the male check in agent.

Said pax was arrested and charged... but the magistrate hearing the case essentially let them off... I believe the term of art was "airports are stressful places"
I see you guys have idiot judges too.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by GAC
Putting on the No Fly List. Damn right I think it's stupid and uncalled for.
You seem to be confusing the government's No Fly list with a specific carrier's no fly list. Any business has the right to forbid someone from using that business again - IIRC, US did it with a passenger who picked up and slammed an agent on the floor, putting him in the hospital for a few months.

Jim
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by GAC
I will give you $1000 for every instance you can find where I said that you did if you give me just $100 for every time it was suggested and agreed too.

Juvenile argument tactic aside, here goes:

You quoted my post and then said "In your example it's like if you owned a restaurant and the puncher could never eat out again." [bold added] So you're either 1) stating that I advocated a blanket no-fly prohibition (analogous to your blanket dining-out prohibition); 2) making the reader assume that you really meant "eat out at whatever specific hypothetical restaurant you're referring to" or 3) taking gibberish.

And you should learn the difference between advocating for something and being indifferent to it. They're not the same.

Oh, and did you actually say that you're against criminal charges in the case of assault and battery? You've pretty much argued yourself out of being taken seriously on the topic.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by GAC
If I punched somebody in a mall would I be banned from all malls for the rest of my life?
Yes, you would almost definitely be banned from that specific mall if you started a fight there. Also, if that mall is a "chain", which most are now, you probably would be on a banned list for all of their malls.

Would this really be enforced? Probably not as easily as an airline can do it since they have to get your name when booking a ticket, but your photo would be in that security office for people to keep an eye out for.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:29 pm
GAC
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCGooner;

You quoted my post and then said "In your example it's like if you owned a restaurant and the puncher could never eat out again." [bold added] So you're either 1) stating that I advocated a blanket no-fly prohibition (analogous to your blanket dining-out prohibition); 2) making the reader assume that you really meant "eat out at whatever specific hypothetical restaurant you're referring to" or 3) taking gibberish.
4) used your story about your business and what your policy's would be. In other words, used context. Look it up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.