Wiki Posts
Search

Woman punches male FA in face on US 2051, PHL-MIA; draws blood

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
True.
Generally true, but under 49 U.S.C. section 46501 the definition of "aircraft in flight" is broader to include the moment all aircraft doors are closed following boarding .... relevant section below (emphasis mine)

1) “aircraft in flight” means an aircraft from the moment all external doors are closed following boarding—

(A) through the moment when one external door is opened to allow passengers to leave the aircraft; or

(B) until, if a forced landing, competent authorities take over responsibility for the aircraft and individuals and property on the aircraft. ...
So, whether it's a federal offense may hinge (pun intended ) on whether the aircraft doors were open or closed when the assault happened ...
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Thanks buddy. Hope all is well with you.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I don't care how upset the passenger was. Hitting a FA is simply wrong. I agree that the passenger should be persecuted to the fullest extent of the law. That is not a typo.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:52 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I'm no lawyer, but I do play one on TV...

The idea behind it being a federal offense when the plane is defined to be "in flight" (i.e. after doors close until they open) is because it's not just assault at that point, but also interfering with the safety of the aircraft, which of course is regulated and falls within the Code of Federal Regulations.

So, assault would still be just one charge, but so would every other FAA violation involved that essentially removes the affected flight attendant from being able to perform their duties. On a plane with the minimum number of F/A's (which is most domestic flights), then the passenger has also created a situation where, in an emergency, there aren't enough flight attendants to deal with it as prescribed by the regs (1 per 50 pax).
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:40 pm

I would assume the FA, with that many witnesses, could easily get a high profile Philadelphia law firm to persue a Civil Suit on a contingency.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by kudzu
Generally true, but under 49 U.S.C. section 46501 the definition of "aircraft in flight" is broader to include the moment all aircraft doors are closed following boarding .... relevant section below (emphasis mine)

So, whether it's a federal offense may hinge (pun intended ) on whether the aircraft doors were open or closed when the assault happened ...

Hmmm. This is interesting because I just asked my friend for more details about the door after reading your post. She writes:

"They had closed it, then they opened it to take her off to talk to her in the jet bridge and someone stupidly let her in to get her stuff because they were taking her off the flight and that's when she attacked the flight attendant right there in the entry area."

So the assailant hit the FA when the door was open, but the original violation (seemingly not a physical assault) happened when the door was closed.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: US, CO, Marriott
Maybe he tried to stop her from using the First Class bathroom?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Zanotti
Maybe he tried to stop her from using the First Class bathroom?
Heh heh.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: US Gold • SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kudzu
I see what you did there.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:10 pm

Some time ago at SYD a passenger (who was refused check in for arriving after the cutoff) TWICE assaulted the male check in agent.

Said pax was arrested and charged... but the magistrate hearing the case essentially let them off... I believe the term of art was "airports are stressful places"

I suspect had the offender not been female the result would have been different...but that's OK...

Just so long as that (female) magistrate reacts the same way when she is assaulted by someone who doesn't like it when she "enforces the rules"....

After all.. "Courtrooms are stressful places"...

After that failure of the court system (my view of it.. YMMV of course) I had REALLY hoped that the airline concerned would back up their staff by publicly blacklisting that person.... AND I hoped that our other airlines would have followed suit.

Nope.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
They need to "throw the book " at this idiot. I hope I'm wrong but I bet nothing will happen & as much as I hate to say this unless something has changed since I retired not even sure US will back the crew member.
coach, you're at least partially right. It'll most likely be up to the FA to file charges - US wouldn't touch that.

Jim
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:17 am

Programs: UA, AS
It looks like they are not going to make a Federal case out of it. Too bad, this type of behavior should not be allowed to occur on any aircraft.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/br..._on_plane.html

A woman was arrested after assaulting a flight attendant Monday morning at Philadelphia International Airport, police said.

Sasha Anderson, 23, of Philadelphia, was on a US Airways plane bound for Miami around 10 a.m. when she threw a mobile phone at the flight attendant and also slapped and scratched his face, police said. She was arrested by Tinicum Township police. Flight 2051 took off about an hour and a half later.

Anderson was charged with simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, harassment, and disorderly conduct. She is free pending a court appearance, which has yet to be scheduled. - Robert Moran
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K , SPG Platinum , Hyatt Diamond , Marriot Gold , BW Diamond , Hertz PC
lol. Instead of worrying about who uses the lavatory they need to focus on increasing quality of service.

BTW do we know what the FA did to piss off the flyer to that extent? Maybe he was a foul mouth who went too far. Not saying that anyone deserves being punched.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:59 am
GAC
Suspended

Well obviously we are all against punching anybody including a FA. But why the call to throw the book and ban from flying forever? Is it because a FA was hit or that it was done on a plane? Seems to me it being assault and should be treated the same no matter who took the hit.

If I punched somebody in a mall would I be banned from all malls for the rest of my life?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by GAC
Well obviously we are all against punching anybody including a FA. But why the call to throw the book and ban from flying forever? Is it because a FA was hit or that it was done on a plane? Seems to me it being assault and should be treated the same no matter who took the hit.

If I punched somebody in a mall would I be banned from all malls for the rest of my life?
Certainly, US Air will presumably ban her (unless they're good with sending their employees the message "we're OK with it if customers hit you."). If I were running Delta, United, etc., I'd ban her too. Somebody who has so little self-control that she punches an FA is someone my employees shouldn't have to deal with. They deserve better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.