Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refundable US Airways Ticket - FULLY Refundable?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am not sure what the $528 non refundable fare is, but the $374 refundable fare is fully refundable

If you do wish to combine with a non refundable journey back, do keep them separate since the fare rules for the $374 fare do state

Originally Posted by fare rules
THE MOST RESTRICTIVE CONDITION APPLIES WHEN
COMBINING HALF ROUND-TRIP FARES.
THE MOST RESTRICTIVE CONDITIONS
INCLUDE MIN/MAX STAY
RESERVATION AND TICKETING REQUIREMENTS
STOPOVER PROVISIONS AND
PENALTIES OR SERVICE CHARGE.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
So, one other question. Let's say I buy the refundable fare today. In a month, I see that the price of the non-refundable fare comes down significantly. Do I call in to ask them to change my ticket to the non-refundable fare and get the price refunded to me? Or do I need to cancel the refundable ticket and re-book the new non-refundable ticket immediately afterwards?

The reason I ask is I don't want to get into a situation where I need to change from refundable to non-refundable, and they say after I cancel the refundable, it'll take some time before I can book the non-refundable since I'm already in the system on that flight and possibly miss the fare drop.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
So, one other question. Let's say I buy the refundable fare today. In a month, I see that the price of the non-refundable fare comes down significantly. Do I call in to ask them to change my ticket to the non-refundable fare and get the price refunded to me? Or do I need to cancel the refundable ticket and re-book the new non-refundable ticket immediately afterwards?

The reason I ask is I don't want to get into a situation where I need to change from refundable to non-refundable, and they say after I cancel the refundable, it'll take some time before I can book the non-refundable since I'm already in the system on that flight and possibly miss the fare drop.
If you find availability you should be able to

make new booking at low rate and then canel the refundable ticket

You may need to make the 2nd booking without a FF number in it and then add the FF number once the 1st booking is cancelled in order for the system not to flag a duplicate

You do not need to cancel the refundable booking until the non refundable booking is made
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Refundable/flexible is refundable for any reason without penalty, unless stated otherwise in the fare rules.

Typically what I'll do is I fly on refundable Y tickets for my main client. If I end up being able to go home early for whatever reason, I've found that non-refundable F fares are usually pretty close. I'll change the ticket, pay the difference out of my own pocket, if any, and fly non-refundable F home. Works out well that way.

The main benefit to a refundable ticket is if your travel is subject to change or cancellation. You're not out the money then. As US usually prices its legs as one ways anyway, you can buy 2 one way refundables, and either lock in a lower price later if your travel firms up, or use it as a means to get into F.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive

Last summer/fall I basically did what you are doing ("basically" because I was doing RT mixed US/AA bought through US)... Once I decided to commit and, indeed, a lower non-refundable price was available, I just -- following advice on this board -- went in through US website and changed ticket. Repriced fine, and no change fee, which is what you would expect for a refundable ticket. Difference in price credited back to my credit card.

I am sympathetic with your basic question. Although I fly a lot it is usually starting on coach non-refundable, and I'm always surprised to learn that (a) non-refundable first may not be "real" first if there is IRROPS; and (b) that "refundable" may not mean refundable depending on a lot of terms and conditions that I have the darnedest time even locating as I go about purchasing ticket.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Last summer/fall I basically did what you are doing ("basically" because I was doing RT mixed US/AA bought through US)... Once I decided to commit and, indeed, a lower non-refundable price was available, I just -- following advice on this board -- went in through US website and changed ticket. Repriced fine, and no change fee, which is what you would expect for a refundable ticket. Difference in price credited back to my credit card.
Biggie, when you did this, all you did for it was an online change to the lower priced ticket and it automatically refunded the difference to your credit card? You didn't need to call in to request the refund?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Biggie, when you did this, all you did for it was an online change to the lower priced ticket and it automatically refunded the difference to your credit card? You didn't need to call in to request the refund?
Yes. I was surprised it worked so well ... and was ready to back out of on-line routine if anything disagreeable popped up. But nothing disagreeable did, and IIRC the refund was essentially immediate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.