Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refundable US Airways Ticket - FULLY Refundable?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Refundable US Airways Ticket - FULLY Refundable?

Probably a dumb question...

Are US Airways "refundable tickets" FULLY refundable? No taxes, fee's, etc. after canceling the ticket (even after the 24hr grace period)? I know this should probably go without saying, but just want to make sure that there's nothing I'm missing in the fine print.

However, if I understand correctly the only exception is the "mileage multiplier", which is non-refundable....so if the ticket is canned then, you still pay the "mileage multiplier" fee (but I'm assuming, still get the miles).

Thanks for humoring me.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Refundable does not mean Refundable

If you pay $x for a ticket, and get back $x less a $300 cancellation fee, I would not call the ticket refundable. USAirways does. The definition of refundable is "to give back or restore, to repay." Partially refundable is the correct phrase. Worth a complaint to USAirways or DOT? I know, I know, read the fine print. But how can one have a valid contract if it contains contradictory language?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You need to read the fare rules - that is the only way to be sure for any ticket

If there is no cancellation penalty , then it is a fully refundable fare

Whatever penalty is listed otherwise is what will be applied
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:25 pm

Yes, but once I read the word "refundable" why do I need to keep reading? Are you suggesting a difference between refundable and fully refundable? The word fully is redundant. Refundable is refundable. The only distinction is between refundable and partially refundable.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
Yes, but once I read the word "refundable" why do I need to keep reading? Are you suggesting a difference between refundable and fully refundable? The word fully is redundant. Refundable is refundable. The only distinction is between refundable and partially refundable.
I am stating that the only way to know what the cancellation penalty is , is to read the fare rules

You can choose not to do so if you wish

Whatever the fare penalty is, is what will be charged

Refund is defined as "A repayment of a sum of money" - it doesn't state that all money paid will be refunded

If purchasing a fully refundable fare, then 100% of fare will be refunded. Certain agents and/or airlines may charge an administration fee even on fully refundable tickets, though I believe that US is not an airline that does charge an administration fee

A refund of fare minus penalty is still a refund

Last edited by Dave Noble; Apr 16, 2015 at 10:42 pm
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
A refund of fare minus penalty is still a refund
So a ticket is refundable as long as you get at least 1 cent back on cancellation?

It gets better. I was just told by US that changes would also cost $300. Here the T&Cs are unambiguous: "Changes can be made to this reservation without penalty."
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:12 am

It is up to you - read the fare rules or don't

The fare rules are what will be used to determine what is permitted

The OP asked for advice on what would be refunded - this is what needs to be checked
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
If its a domestic ticket, chances are its fully refundable. International tickets are another story. Its a practice you'll find with most airlines.

But as the others have said, check the fare rules to be sure.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
It gets better. I was just told by US that changes would also cost $300. Here the T&Cs are unambiguous: "Changes can be made to this reservation without penalty."
I suspect that few US employees are used to dealing with actual full-fare, refundable tickets, because very few of them are sold. If you point out the fare code and language from the fare rules, they will eventually get to the right answer. After "you mean you actually bought that type of ticket?"
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Hey guys, thanks for the "prompt" response

FYI, yes, I did find that the US Airways "refundable tickets" were FULLY refundable; no taxes, fee's, etc. after canceling the ticket (even after the 24hr grace period). At least that was the case two years ago...
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by High PSI
Hey guys, thanks for the "prompt" response

FYI, yes, I did find that the US Airways "refundable tickets" were FULLY refundable; no taxes, fee's, etc. after canceling the ticket (even after the 24hr grace period). At least that was the case two years ago...
When I saw the 1st reply , I noticed the month, but missed that it was a 2 year old thread
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by CPRich
I suspect that few US employees are used to dealing with actual full-fare, refundable tickets, because very few of them are sold. If you point out the fare code and language from the fare rules, they will eventually get to the right answer. After "you mean you actually bought that type of ticket?"
I doubt that most agents have not dealt with refundable tickets. I don't usually book full fare refundable tickets, but I've done it occasionally, and refunded them at the airport counter. Never had an agent so much as blink at doing so.

And FWIW, domestic US Airways refundable tickets (usually purchased at the "full fare" rate) are usually refundable without any penalty. But as others have advised, read the rules so you know for sure.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Buying a Refundable Ticket

I'm looking at buying a ticket (one-way) that is marked on US Airways' site as "Coach-Flexible". When I go through the purchasing process it says it is "Refundable". Does this mean it is fully refundable for absolutely any reason up to the point of departure? I want to make sure there are no "gotchas" before I make the purchase.

If I do purchase the refundable ticket, let's say I find a cheaper non-refundable price later on. Can I just have it changed to that with no fees? Or would I need to cancel my ticket and purchase a new ticket?

Also, another question...if I buy a round trip ticket where the outgoing flight is non-refundable and the return flight is refundable...what happens when I try to get a refund?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:09 am

For these questions, you need to read the detailed fare rules. The fare rules will dictate what will apply. This is not something that can just be assumed

What is the routing and what is the fare?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
The routing is MCO-PHL on 11/28. I'm looking at Flight #422 @ 11:55 AM.

The reason I'm asking is because, for some reason, the refundable fare is much cheaper than the non-refundable fare. However, to me, it is still pretty pricey for this specific route. I realize that is most probably because it is the weekend after Thanksgiving.

My thoughts are, if this is truly refundable, to buy it now at this price to lock it in. If it stays the same or goes up, who cares. If the non-refundable price goes down though, to switch to that fare and get the difference back as a refund.

If I do it this way though, should I do my flight down to MCO as a one-way and this one one-way? Or would it be better to book it as a round trip ticket with half non-refundable and half refundable? Please let me know your thoughts on this strategy as I've never booked refundable tickets before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.