Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Drama: Downgraded from OZ F to UA J (and MUCH more)!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Originally Posted by ariyo15
I was actually standing in front of the US agent with ExpertFlyer open on my iPad. It showed two (or maybe three) seats in "J" available. Again, as I mentioned. It did end up with three empty seats.
Ok. Something else to consider as well is close in to departure, there can also be a disconnect between the GDS systems and whatever the airline uses for handling of their flights at the airport. Also, another airline isnt obligated to accept premium class tickets from another airline. Its not as simple as one might think as to just rebook somebody to a premium cabin on another airline.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch
Ok. Something else to consider as well is close in to departure, there can also be a disconnect between the GDS systems and whatever the airline uses for handling of their flights at the airport. Also, another airline isnt obligated to accept premium class tickets from another airline. Its not as simple as one might think as to just rebook somebody to a premium cabin on another airline.
That should still be US's problem to deal with in the back end and not the pax's.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Originally Posted by Superguy
That should still be US's problem to deal with in the back end and not the pax's.
That's exactly the point on this one.

Still no word on "additional" compensation. I guess it's just waiting.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by Captain Flush
. . . Not to mention, I wouldn't be at all surprised if at least one of two other factors came into play (to be clear, this is just speculation): (1) blissful ignorance--really, how many US agents do you think have flown OZ and can compare it firsthand to UA TPAC, or monitor this forum and have an idea of the generally accepted hierarchy of *A partners?--or (2) perhaps the negotiated rates US pays OZ for award seats are higher than the rates US pays UA, so reaccommodating pax on UA instead of OZ saves US money?
I believe regular agents and supervisors cannot view information pertaining to item (2). I asked the CP line several times to choose the routing cheapest for US amongst the alternatives I had, but the agents told me they couldn't make a choice because they couldn't see the rates.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
If segments drop off the ticketing airline's PNR, you always need to get to an airport ticketing desk ASAP. Get a printout of the PNR in native form, so that you can actually have a prayer of understanding what the real issue with the ticket is.

The appropriate fix to this issue isn't to leave the PNR alone. A passive segment must be added.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
I was actually standing in front of the US agent with ExpertFlyer open on my iPad. It showed two (or maybe three) seats in "J" available. Again, as I mentioned. It did end up with three empty seats.
I'm very much in agreement that it would be fairer for them to have put you in AC J, but I do not believe US award ticket policies enable their agents to do so in an IRROPS situation.

I was interlined to AA on a US F award ticket a few years ago, and despite talking to several airport agents and the CP desk, I could not get them to put me in F. I was told by every one of them that US policy was to interline in Y and refund the difference in award miles.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:36 am
Original Poster

On the bright side, I just noticed some PQMs post for the SFO-YVR flight Haha. I guess there is a (dim) light at the end of the tunnel!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
That's exactly the point on this one.

Still no word on "additional" compensation. I guess it's just waiting.
You are probably still waiting since your claim for initial compensation was excessive and like I predicted before its probably been ignored. Granted they should at least respond with something even if no compensation is offered.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are probably still waiting since your claim for initial compensation was excessive and like I predicted before its probably been ignored. Granted they should at least respond with something even if no compensation is offered.
Or counter offer at least.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Final Compensation Received

Okay, I have the final update (as far as compensation goes). As I mentioned, the original request was:
1) 30k miles (for the difference between F and J)
2) Either 110 additional miles (aka a full refund) or $500 e-voucher

In the end, we did receive the 30,000 miles, but number two was scoffed at. Instead, we each earned an additional 17,000 miles.

All in all, total compensation was 47,000 miles per person, which I think is fair (though of course I would have liked a bit more). Let the discussion continue, but I still stand by my opinion, which is that this was all a domino effect starting with a US problem. As such, I held them responsible and they clearly felt some sense of responsibility based on their offering.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
The Prognosticator Recap...

Originally Posted by burlax
1. Compensation for downgrade.

If you have already flown (accepted the changes), and at least one segment was in int'l F, you are not owed compensation.

2. Compensation for lost baggage.

You may get compensation under Montreal Conventionor under DoT rules, depending on the circumstances...
Originally Posted by RTW1
I doubt you will get any compensation now.... as long as not all your segments are in C you have to pay the F miles.

For the operational problems you might get something.
Originally Posted by tommyleo
You should ask US for half of your miles back... US will likely counter-offer your request for 70K miles returned for each passenger. But if you were ask for only, say, 40K miles back, do you think your counter-offer would be the same as if you were to request 70K back?
Its great you got the difference between F and J back with the miles. However your other compensation request is excessive and I highly doubt you'll get anything further.
As I mentioned, the original request was:

In the end, we did receive the 30,000 miles, but number two was scoffed at. Instead, we each earned an additional 17,000 miles.

All in all, total compensation was 47,000 miles per person.

OK, I'm gloating a bit here. But the main point is that there certainly are times when an airline will indeed compensate a customer (in this case, twice!) -- even if the airline is under no obligation to do so. ^
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, I have the final update (as far as compensation goes). As I mentioned, the original request was:

All in all, total compensation was 47,000 miles per person, which I think is fair (though of course I would have liked a bit more). Let the discussion continue, but I still stand by my opinion, which is that this was all a domino effect starting with a US problem. As such, I held them responsible and they clearly felt some sense of responsibility based on their offering.
I'm glad it worked out well for you and US did the right thing. ^

I'm not sure if I read number 2 right ... that was 110 miles and not 110K miles, right? 110 would be an insult. I'd think a $500 e-voucher wouldn't make up for the difference between OZ F and UA C, and US F to AC Y. So I think the 47k miles seems to be the best outcome for you given the choices.

Still a shame you had to miss out on OZ F.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

I'm glad it worked out well for you and US did the right thing. ^

I'm not sure if I read number 2 right ... that was 110 miles and not 110K miles, right? 110 would be an insult. I'd think a $500 e-voucher wouldn't make up for the difference between OZ F and UA C, and US F to AC Y. So I think the 47k miles seems to be the best outcome for you given the choices.

Still a shame you had to miss out on OZ F.
The number two I was "hoping" for was EITHER 110k additional miles or $500 e-voucher. In any case, yes, the 47k seemed fair.

I'm still bummed about OZ F, but I'm eyeing a JFK-ICN trip (one-way OZ 77W, one way KE 380). Thankfully, in May I'll be enjoying NH F, which will basically complete my *A F products - at least those I want to fly! All in all, I'm a happy camper
Old Mar 21, 2013, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The number two I was "hoping" for was EITHER 110k additional miles or $500 e-voucher. In any case, yes, the 47k seemed fair.

I'm still bummed about OZ F, but I'm eyeing a JFK-ICN trip (one-way OZ 77W, one way KE 380). Thankfully, in May I'll be enjoying NH F, which will basically complete my *A F products - at least those I want to fly! All in all, I'm a happy camper
Gotcha. I misunderstood which way the "offer" was going.

Where did the other 17k miles come from?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Gotcha. I misunderstood which way the "offer" was going.

Where did the other 17k miles come from?
That was their idea of "fair additional compensation."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.