Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDB

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
The whole issue w/ not receiving PDBs for me is twofold: 1) that US advertises it as part of the F service. So even though I only fly F when I get it as an UG, IF I were to pay for it and not receive the PDB, I would be very upset for not getting a listed service that I was supposed to receive in exchange for paying a premium price. It's the equivalent of buying a car and paying extra for the "premium package" that comes w/ an 8-speaker stereo, but in reality it only comes w/ a 6-speaker. It's the principle.

2) Sometimes I'm just thirsty and dont want to pay $2.50 for an airport 20oz drink.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've been 6 of 6 lately.

PDBs aren't that important for me, as I know I'll get service once we're in the air. Although some will say it's in their job description, I really feel bad for the poor FAs that have to fight the onslaught of coach passengers just to deliver a drink. Personally, I'd rather PDBs be done away with on single aisle aircraft (unless boarding commences mid aircraft). Speeds up boarding and doesn't hassle/inconvenience the FAs. But then again, I tend to care more about others than myself.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
The whole issue w/ not receiving PDBs for me is twofold: 1) that US advertises it as part of the F service. So even though I only fly F when I get it as an UG, IF I were to pay for it and not receive the PDB, I would be very upset for not getting a listed service that I was supposed to receive in exchange for paying a premium price. It's the equivalent of buying a car and paying extra for the "premium package" that comes w/ an 8-speaker stereo, but in reality it only comes w/ a 6-speaker. It's the principle.
Well that issue isnt exactly a valid one as US Airways does not advertise that pre-departure beverages are a part of the first class experience.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
PDB is important to me (on DL anyway....) because

-they are supposed to do it
-it's part of the F experience
-it makes waiting to depart more pleasurable
-it gives a hint as to how attentive the FA's are
-it makes the Y pax glare at you as they pass
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch
Well that issue isnt exactly a valid one as US Airways does not advertise that pre-departure beverages are a part of the first class experience.
I just checked US.com, and you're right, they do not advertise it currently. However, IIRC it used to be advertised as such.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
I just checked US.com, and you're right, they do not advertise it currently. However, IIRC it used to be advertised as such.
It actually never has been, at least not in the last 10 years.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
My main one is that a lot of times I am cutting it close and don't have time (or don't want) to spend waiting in line at airport to grab a drink and then juggle it along with my carry-on, backpack, and phone displaying a boarding pass.

It is secondly also a nice to relax with a drink (alcohol or not) while waiting for plane to board. A FC experience if you wish.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:29 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Seriously???

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I've never not gotten one
I am 100% PDB since switching back! Every single time on every single flight (REALLY)...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: free agent
Spoke too soon. 953 PHL-CLT - no PDB. Although the FA up front poured himself a soda.

Scratch that. Just got a hour ground hold for WX. Cue vodka & coke.

Last edited by AlphaTango; Feb 11, 2013 at 11:59 am
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:09 pm

After 25+ FC flights in the past year (all on Express/ Republic), I've gotten a PDB served on every flight except for last Friday's MSY-DCA. The FA wasn't lazy by any means, but she was brand new and may have just forgotten. She was exceptionally friendly and attentive so all was forgiven.

Even during the busiest, most chaotic boardings my FA's have always managed to serve a PDB. Compare that to the multitude of reports from UA and AA where maybe 40% of the time you'll be offered still water or orange juice from a tray.

While US's FC product is admittedly basic (don't get me started on the Cape Cod chips served at 8am), the FA's are usually very consistent with delivering the soft product, and more often than not with a smile (okay, sometimes a small smile, but at least not an outright frown).
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
(don't get me started on the Cape Cod chips served at 8am).
They've gone the way of the Biscoff! Replaced with Boulder Canyon kettle chips. Breakfast of champions.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, National Executive, Marriott Gold, US SP, Avis PS
Had an awesome FA on last nights PHL - IND. 2+ hours late, hurried boarding, and she still got PDB's out with a smile and great positive attitude. Just terrific.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
PDB by departure state

Do some states not allow an alcoholic PDB?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by puchalskir
Do some states not allow an alcoholic PDB?
I have read on FT that Florida does not allow it. I cannot recall from personal experience though.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:07 pm

Put me in with the "it's nice to have a drink while you're sitting for 10+ minutes" crowd.

As for the Florida rule, it may be one but US has certainly disobeyed it. I've gotten PDBs on probably 90% of FC flights and most of those are between FL and PA (sometimes with NC in between, but still). A quick Google search turns up nothing for Florida but that on Sunday mornings some individual cities might ban PDBs.

I'm very happy with the liquor selection on US, although having a cheap champagne for morning flights would be nice. Somehow a mimosa seems classier than a screwdriver at 11am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.