Wiki Posts
Search

PDB

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
PDB

Just wondering. Since may be flying more on US in F do they serve PDB regularly? Thanks
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
about as regular as the weather
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
I get it almost all the time unless a flight is delayed, catering is delayed coming to the plane, etc.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I've never not gotten one
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:59 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I've never not gotten one
Do you BYOB? In this past week alone I was 2-for-4. On one flight catering was late, on the other there was no excuse or even mention of it.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:55 am

Programs: AA EXP: : SPG Plat; HH Gold
IME i am about 80% - there is lots of chatter about lack of PDB but it has improved in the last couple years
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: free agent
I've had the opposite experience - I can only remember once when I didn't get one - but the flight was over an hour late due to WX.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
1 for 2 last week.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:40 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
I have a question that has never been asked and do so with the utmost respect as I truly believe it is a nice touch to to the PDB and do so at all times unless the flight is very delayed with the continual rush of boarding or a catering issue. Now this isn't airline specific and please, I'm not looking for a fight. I'm just curious.

Why is the PDB so important to you?
1. Are most rushed to their next flight and are thirsty?
2. Feel it is an important part of the FC experience?
3. Have come to expect it?
4. Paid big bucks, so yes, I expect it.
5. Like showing coach I am more important. (ok, joking on that one)
6. Enjoy settling my nerves with a cocktail before we projectile into the air at 600 mph.
7. Don't really know
8. Other

Again, I have no problem doing the PDB....been doing it for 26 years. These threads come up so often. Lay it out there, my friends.

I would love to share this with my coworkers are perhaps Hector himself to see what you all think and feel. And you all know I will.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
On a set of late January first class upgrades (all flights were on time)

EWR - CLT PDB served
CLT - MBJ PDB served
MBJ - CLT PDB not served

I consider it a part of the first class experience, and enjoy having a drink waiting for economy class to finish boarding.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by flight62
My $0.02 - I do think it's part of the FC experience - but there's nothing like a hard day/week of meetings and having a good strong drink or two to unwind. The sooner that can begin, the better.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Feel it is an important part of the FC experience. ^
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: United Platinum
Had PDBs last night on both JAX-DCA and DCA-LGA

I personally just think it is a nice touch, if you are boarding first and sitting there while others board, what's so wrong with wanting a drink whether it is alcohol or not? Would you sit down at a restaurant and not expect to be offered drinks before your order is taken?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:59 am

I have a question that has never been asked and do so with the utmost respect as I truly believe it is a nice touch to to the PDB and do so at all times unless the flight is very delayed with the continual rush of boarding or a catering issue. Now this isn't airline specific and please, I'm not looking for a fight. I'm just curious.

6. Enjoy settling my nerves with a cocktail before we projectile into the air at 600 mph.
7. Don't really know
8. Other

Again, I have no problem doing the PDB....been doing it for 26 years. These threads come up so often. Lay it out there, my friends.

I would love to share this with my coworkers are perhaps Hector himself to see what you all think and feel. And you all know I will.
It's part of the experience - if you get on the plane first you are waiting for everyone else to board so it's nice to have something to sip on while you are passing the time away.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I'm batting .500 on getting PDBs.

7. Don't really know
8. Other

For me, it's mostly 1 and 2, with a little bit of 3 and 4. I don't drink, so 6 doesn't apply to me so much, but it does relax me a little bit during boarding.

In most cases, my connections have been pretty short on US ... most around 30-45 minutes. Not a huge deal in CLT, but more so in PHL and PHX. If I'm landing and have little time, I don't have time to get a drink. Especially if I had to hustle to make the flight, the drink is certainly welcome when I get there.

I don't get that upset if there's no PDB on an upgrade. It bugs me a lot more when I'm on paid F as it's part of the experience I paid for. I like to feel like I'm at least getting a little something more for paying for F. If US can't do something little to separate F from Y, it makes it harder to justify paying more for the not much better treatment.

As to expecting it, I'm an ex-UA flyer that came over after UA gutted MP. UA was pretty consistent on giving PDBs, with only NOT getting them on rare occasions such as short turnarounds from delays, etc.

I will say that US has been better than UA about letting you choose your drink rather than giving the limited choice of OJ, water, or wine (in fact, US did that in Y back in the 90s as I'm sure you remember ).

Most FAs doing PDB seem to be able to work around the boarding procedure pretty well. It seems there are just some that don't want to do it. However, given the separate nature of a 757, for example, I think it should be very rare that a PDB isn't offered on those flights as the cabin is a lot less busy.

My .02

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.