2012 Hurricane Sandy and impacts on US Airways

 

Old Oct 26, 12, 1:57 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: PVD
Programs: AA Exp, Mar. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Posts: 1,693
2012 Hurricane Sandy and impacts on US Airways

I have a flight on Mon night, CHS-CLT-PVD, was looking online and noticed that US issued a travel advisory and suggested rebooking Before or after the Storm. I tried to change the flight to Sunday online but it seems that even though the change fee is waived they still are making me pay the fare difference. Ugh, I picked Mon instead of Sun orignally because I didn't want to pay more.

Guess I might look at Thurs instead or just wait and see what happens on Monday.

Last edited by ellinj; Oct 26, 12 at 2:31 pm
ellinj is offline  
Old Oct 26, 12, 2:07 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: PHX
Posts: 3,796
The official advisory is for 29th-31st for most of the Northeast. Flights may be changed to the 26th through 28th, or November 1st through 4th.

http://www.usairways.com/TravelCenter/Advisories.aspx

It is annoying that they're still making you pay the difference in fare, which will affect almost everyone who bought anything but full Y. The only other option is to wait for your flight to be cancelled for real.

PHL will probably be a mess (well, even more than usual) with it dead in the middle of the predicted storm track.
alanh is offline  
Old Oct 26, 12, 11:58 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PHL
Posts: 10
Waiver for fare difference for flight change due to weather?

I'm flying LGA-CLT-GNV on Wednesday afternoon. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get cancelled because of the impending hurricane.

Just checked the US change waiver policy for this weather event, and it seems like I still have to pay the fare difference. I'd like to change to a Thursday flight, but I'd have to pay an extra $120.

Has anyone ever had any luck with US waiving the fare difference? Or am I out of luck?
ezhang is offline  
Old Oct 27, 12, 12:27 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CLT
Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Posts: 3,435
You could always take a risk and have them change it for you when they cancel the flight.
iztok is offline  
Old Oct 27, 12, 7:25 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Posts: 3,274
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I assume they'll evacuate the fleet from most of the affected areas - certainly PHL and maybe DCA too - and I'm hoping my 10am Monday flight is a go.

With Irene I got the last MCO-PHL prior to the storm shutdown and the A320 operating it was the last aircraft out to ORD. Hoping for similar luck this time.
phlwookie is offline  
Old Oct 27, 12, 9:16 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Programs: USAir Chairman
Posts: 64
I'm due to travel PHL to London on Monday night in Envoy. Weather forecasts are little help. Any thoughts on whether I should stick with Monday flight or change to the Tuesday one (still availability in Envoy). Perhaps neither will go?
marketingmom is offline  
Old Oct 27, 12, 9:26 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PHL
Programs: AA Plat Pro, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
Posts: 2,826
Originally Posted by marketingmom View Post
I'm due to travel PHL to London on Monday night in Envoy. Weather forecasts are little help. Any thoughts on whether I should stick with Monday flight or change to the Tuesday one (still availability in Envoy). Perhaps neither will go?
I would imagine that Monday will go. They have every incentive not to cancel a flight such as this. And what do you have to lose, really, by planning on a Monday departure? Tuesday could be as much as a gamble (in advance).
Biggie Fries is offline  
Old Oct 27, 12, 9:30 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Programs: USAir Chairman
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries View Post
I would imagine that Monday will go. They have every incentive not to cancel a flight such as this. And what do you have to lose, really, by planning on a Monday departure? Tuesday could be as much as a gamble (in advance).
Yep, that's been my thinking. My only hesitancy was I'd be less likely to get my biz class seats if I wait and see. No way to predict...
marketingmom is offline  
Old Oct 27, 12, 9:51 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Global Entry
Posts: 2,826
I'm on SEA-PHL monday 11:30-19:30.
It is a bit ridiculous that we have to pay fare difference.
Based on weather forecasts, it sounds like I am all but guaranteed to get canceled
eng3 is offline  
Old Oct 27, 12, 10:07 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 327
I'm on the PHL/LHR flight on Monday as well, also in Envoy! We're actually thinking of changing to Sunday, but there's no Envoy and we'd have to pay the difference. It's looking like it's going to be the worst right around Monday night. We've been through this so many times as my family lives in the tropics and we frequently travel there in Sept. I've seen flights go to SJU that I never thought would go. It's such a guessing game.
kimharp is offline  
Old Oct 27, 12, 10:32 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Programs: USAir Chairman
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by kimharp View Post
I'm on the PHL/LHR flight on Monday as well, also in Envoy! We're actually thinking of changing to Sunday, but there's no Envoy and we'd have to pay the difference. It's looking like it's going to be the worst right around Monday night. We've been through this so many times as my family lives in the tropics and we frequently travel there in Sept. I've seen flights go to SJU that I never thought would go. It's such a guessing game.
Are you considering Tuesday?
marketingmom is offline  
Old Oct 27, 12, 11:19 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: PVD
Programs: AA Exp, Mar. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Posts: 1,693
I am just going to wait and see what happens. There is a pretty big fare difference to change to tomorrow. Ideally I would like to change to Wednesday but that isn't an allowed option at this point.
ellinj is offline  
Old Oct 27, 12, 11:40 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by marketingmom View Post
Are you considering Tuesday?
Yes, we are. Just not sure when to bite the bullet and make the call. We were going to see how the predictions were looking later today before deciding. If we wait til Tuesday though, it makes more sense to just see if the flight is canceled. I haven't yet investigated the fare difference between Sun., Mon., and Tuesday, have you? It looks like there are a lot of seats on all the flights, just not in Envoy :-).
kimharp is offline  
Old Oct 27, 12, 1:05 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Programs: DL DM; US GP; Fairmont PL; HHonors DM; Hyatt GP Diamond; Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 189
What happens if US cancels the flight?

I am scheduled to fly into DCA and SYR on Monday afternoon for a Tuesday business meeting in SYR. The waiver doesn't help me as any change to the meeting will mean it is not rescheduled for later this week, but rather later in November. If US cancels, am I entitled to a refund instead of a reschedule?
FlynGyn is offline  
Old Oct 27, 12, 3:11 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Programs: USAir Chairman
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by kimharp View Post
Yes, we are. Just not sure when to bite the bullet and make the call. We were going to see how the predictions were looking later today before deciding. If we wait til Tuesday though, it makes more sense to just see if the flight is canceled. I haven't yet investigated the fare difference between Sun., Mon., and Tuesday, have you? It looks like there are a lot of seats on all the flights, just not in Envoy :-).
No haven't checked. This is business travel so a bit less worried about fees. Would be so nice if we could get out as planned. Don't want to do Sunday flight. Been away from family a lot of late and really don't want to add another day to my trip.
marketingmom is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread