Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cost of Airfare on US! Boo!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: US CP; SPG P; Hyatt P; HH S
It's been mentioned, but it's supply v. demand - and the capacity cuts across all airlines have created new monopolies.

For instance, last year PVD-PHL was often < $200 ai. PVD-EWR on CO was about the same. Now that WN has left the market? 700ish to PHL, 1000 to EWR. Yeah, cheaper flights exist, but there's no way in hell I'm taking a 5:40a flight just to save my company a few hundred bucks.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:17 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by pinniped
Airlines are unfortunately showing some discipline on supply. High fuel costs have probably forced their hand...in previous post-recessionary periods, they'd rapidly add seats and compete aggressively for share of market. This time, everybody's being a little more conservative. So as the economy grows and overall demand grows, the leisure travelers are gradually squeezed off the plane. The airlines don't need to sell those $99 transcons to fill seats anymore.
I think you're spot on here. Supply is being very tightly controlled -- I'm seeing a lot of flights filling up much further out than they ever have in the past. In particular, in my travel, it's the BOS-PHL and BOS-CLT flights that are the most constrained; the connecting flights are almost always emptier.

That said, I don't find US' fares much higher than anyone else's -- things are just ridiculous across the board.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: CP on US and many more...
Thank you for the feeddback...

and confirming what I am seeing.

I picked up some good tips in the responses as well. As a business owner the higher prices are starting to have a significant impact.

On the personal side it will be more difficult to maintain CP on US as I can't justify paying 700-1k when I can purchase same ticket for a bit less on another carrier. I think the trick will be trying to find these lower fares on *A members.

Cheers,

Paul
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: US CP
Prices PHL-LHR and CLT-LGW are sky high. I thought it was just London and the beginning of the Olympics impacting price and availability.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Just higher ...

The various tickets I have been tracking the last month (domestic, Hawai'i, and Europe) suggest to me that, yes, prices are somewhat higher, and there is less bounce than I usually anticipate. Everything suggested above is likely true:
  • fuel, especially for the oceanic flights
  • less competition, probably because of fewer flights and seats overall
  • no sign that US is doing anything that special -- when someone breaks slightly on a viable Europe route, US follows suit (I did save $225 on one of those days)

I guess the last thing is most relevant here, since as OP noted in a follow-up post, it's hard to stay "loyal" when prices are biting. But if they bite everywhere then, sure, why not stay in the game.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
I have noticed significant jumps on the two main routes I fly, booked several weeks out:

STL-PHX-SNA R/T Was available consistently around $270 ai last year. This year its well over $400.
STL-CLT-ATL R/T Was available consistently around $300 ai last year. This year its close to $450.

I've even noticed that United is consistently beating these higher fares end-to-end (obiviously via different hubs).

For those flying in to the LA area, SNA is becoming much more expensive. LGB is a cheaper option, and surprisingly, SAN (San Diego) has been surprisingly cheap. My destination is around the corner from SNA, so for me LAX and SAN are a stretch. LGB is acceptable.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Camarones
I have noticed significant jumps on the two main routes I fly, booked several weeks out:

STL-PHX-SNA R/T Was available consistently around $270 ai last year. This year its well over $400.
STL-CLT-ATL R/T Was available consistently around $300 ai last year. This year its close to $450.

I've even noticed that United is consistently beating these higher fares end-to-end (obiviously via different hubs).

For those flying in to the LA area, SNA is becoming much more expensive. LGB is a cheaper option, and surprisingly, SAN (San Diego) has been surprisingly cheap. My destination is around the corner from SNA, so for me LAX and SAN are a stretch. LGB is acceptable.
Right now, I'm trying to price a flight going from WAS-LAX-SEA-WAS, and US Metal is $100 more than United. somewhere around $650. It wouldn't be a huge deal if I had E+ access.

Sucks to not be able to fly your airline on transcons.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Yep - fares are up. I was searching SAN-PUJ for June and July and you are looking at 8 to 10 bills RT in coach. United might be $100-200 cheaper on average but still expensive. SAN-CUN on US was $621 minimum - used to be had for about $400.

I think we are seeing the results of the CO takeover of UA and the pricing power of the combined airline. WN isn't putting downward pressure on prices either nor is the AA BK.

This will reduce demand at the margins - will be interesting to see how they respond to lower booking.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
The higher fares are not just a US phenomenon, it's part of the larger dynamic referred to by others here. Capacity shrinks, fuel costs go up, demand fills this lesser capacity, but at a higher price. Throw in some ordinary market forces ( high season, high demand routes ) and your breath gets taken away when you price air travel on any airline.

We've more or less taken Europe off of our travel list for this year purely because of price & we grin and bear it with our domestic trips.

Barry

Barry
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
The base has definitely increased. On my bi-weekly SFO-CLT milk run (a monopoly route), what was a reliable $428 last year is a $475-500 this year (at odd times of day unless I time my purchase just right, so I usually have to do the free day-of "move up" to get reasonable travel times).
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
As grumpy as I was about airfares earlier this week, I just found $260 R/T fares on prime Friday/Sunday flights for a summer weekend to visit friends in D.C. MCI-DCA, nonstop, perfect since we usually stay in Arlington or downtown.

Even in the good ol' days, getting substantially lower ($150-175 range) usually meant BWI. You might get in the $200 range to DCA for Sat-Tues or something like that. I don't recall Fri-Sun ever being much cheaper than this...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
I fly to and from PHX weekly and I have my stuff booked 4 weeks out in advance. The prices have been floating around 430-500 until I went to book this week and it jumped to 600, wth.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
The higher fares are not just a US phenomenon, it's part of the larger dynamic referred to by others here. Capacity shrinks, fuel costs go up, demand fills this lesser capacity, but at a higher price. Throw in some ordinary market forces ( high season, high demand routes ) and your breath gets taken away when you price air travel on any airline.

We've more or less taken Europe off of our travel list for this year purely because of price & we grin and bear it with our domestic trips.

Barry

Barry
I was planning on buying a trip to Europe over Memorial Day.. After seeing $1300 prices for weeks on end, I used a Star Alliance award. Without it... I'd be back in the states.... That said.. other trips I see are also creeping up. It should be interesting to see where the pain point ends.

On a similar note... I refuse to pay the BOS-PHL extortion, so we now drive or take the train.... Before it was too cheap... now its too outrageous. Multiply by 3 forget it!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Alphaguy
I refuse to pay the BOS-PHL extortion, so we now drive or take the train.... Before it was too cheap... now its too outrageous. Multiply by 3 forget it!
I do one ways that connect through PHL where there's competition (ex: BOS-BWI for $80, BOS-BGM for $98, etc.). There is a cheaper one-way from PHL to ROC that connects through BOS for $288 at 2:45 PM and 5:15 PM, so there are ways around paying the exorbitant $745 RT.

I pay less for my trips to BRU that to PHL from BOS. And they connect through PHL.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: None
On Tuesday DL put in a fare increase - $10 to $20 rt for tickets bought within 7 days of departure. UA and AA matched today. The next couple of days should tell whether it sticks or not.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.