Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

TSA PRE-Check & US preferreds (Update: Now with PreCheck noted on boarding passes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PRE-Check & US preferreds (Update: Now with PreCheck noted on boarding passes)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Chewie
I'm still at 100% success since enrollment. I was never nominated/granted by us air, so my only tsa precheck eligibility came from my GE admittance.

Of course I always scan my passes before hand, so I'll know if I need to head over to priority lane instead of Pre-check lane.
No need to scan your BPs any more. If you check in online, US automatically prints "TSA PRECHECK" on the BP and it works at airports where it's offered! Anyone who is a GE member should automatically get TSA Precheck if their known traveler number (KTN) is entered on the reservation. It should pick this up from your profile if you entered your US DM number at the time of the reservation.

But you can always add it during the check in process - there is a box at the bottom right of the check-in screen to enter your redress and KTNs. Once you enter your KTN, the TSA PRECHECK will get added to your BP.

So stop scanning - it's not necessary.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DCBob
No need to scan your BPs any more. If you check in online, US automatically prints "TSA PRECHECK" on the BP and it works at airports where it's offered! Anyone who is a GE member should automatically get TSA Precheck if their known traveler number (KTN) is entered on the reservation. It should pick this up from your profile if you entered your US DM number at the time of the reservation.

But you can always add it during the check in process - there is a box at the bottom right of the check-in screen to enter your redress and KTNs. Once you enter your KTN, the TSA PRECHECK will get added to your BP.

Not according to the TSA. From their blog (emphasis mine):

Originally Posted by TSA Blog
Eligible passengers will see a TSA Pre✓™ indicator on all boarding passes, even when flying out of an airport where TSA Pre✓™ is not available. Eligible passengers should plan ahead and check out the location chart to see where TSA Pre✓™ is available for the participating airlines. If TSA Pre✓™ is unavailable, passengers should proceed to the standard security lanes.

Soon other TSA Pre✓™ participating airlines will be capable of similarly notifying their passengers. Once fully operational, it will be easier for all participating passengers to know if they should go to the TSA Pre✓™ lane or to the standard security lanes.

If TSA determines a passenger is eligible for expedited screening, information is embedded in the barcode of the passenger’s boarding pass. The TSA Officers will still scan the boarding pass at the document checking station to verify TSA Pre✓™ status. While passengers with the TSA Pre✓™ indicator have been pre-cleared to access the TSA Pre✓™ lane, no passenger is ever guaranteed expedited screening. TSA continues to incorporate random, unpredictable screening measures to ensure the safety of passengers.
The information seems ambiguous; as I read it, if you have the indicator on your boarding pass, you are eligible to use the lane, not that you are guaranteed access. Whether or not you get the magic "three beeps" seems in question by the wording above. I'll keep checking, although I have GE and from what I hear on FT this should mean ~<100% domestic Precheck qualification anyways, so it may be a bad example...data from people with Pre through their airline status would be more interesting as the success rate seems lower.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by phltraveler
The information seems ambiguous; as I read it, if you have the indicator on your boarding pass, you are eligible to use the lane, not that you are guaranteed access. Whether or not you get the magic "three beeps" seems in question by the wording above. I'll keep checking, although I have GE and from what I hear on FT this should mean ~<100% domestic Precheck qualification anyways, so it may be a bad example...data from people with Pre through their airline status would be more interesting as the success rate seems lower.
No, that is incorrect. You ARE guaranteed access! If it says "TSA PRECHECK" on your boarding pass, you absolutely WILL get the 3 beeps or green light (on the newer system) and will be sent through the TSA Precheck lane 100% of the time. That's the good news.

However, what it also means is that you can be randomly stopped in the TSA Precheck lane and be asked to open your bags, have your hands swabbed, take off your shoes, etc. I saw this happen at EWR when a TSA employee yelled out "RANDOM!" and pointed to the guy behind me. He was ALREADY in the Pre-check lane and was selected for a random search. He DID NOT have to go back into the regular checkpoint, nor did he have to remove his liquids or computer.

So while the language is ambiguous, the procedure is NOT.

Last edited by DCBob; Jun 2, 2013 at 12:56 pm
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:54 pm

Duplicate, sorry.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist

True, but that's the ONLY reason I downloaded the app.

I was also user the impression you could have tsa precheck logo in your BP and still get a single beep.

Now that I know the logo guarantees triple beep, I'm off to fins other things to scan.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 4:51 pm

No, that is incorrect. You ARE guaranteed access! If it says "TSA PRECHECK" on your boarding pass, you absolutely WILL get the 3 beeps or green light (on the newer system) and will be sent through the TSA Precheck lane 100% of the time. That's the good news.

However, what it also means is that you can be randomly stopped in the TSA Precheck lane and be asked to open your bags, have your hands swabbed, take off your shoes, etc. I saw this happen at EWR when a TSA employee yelled out "RANDOM!" and pointed to the guy behind me. He was ALREADY in the Pre-check lane and was selected for a random search. He DID NOT have to go back into the regular checkpoint, nor did he have to remove his liquids or computer.

My experience differs. I got the three beeps today (which backs what you say about the logo), but was sent over to the normal (non pre-check, AIT, liquids out of bag, shoes off, etc.) lane as a "random" for my first Precheck attempt
Old Jun 2, 2013, 5:57 pm
GAC
Suspended

Ok but how do you explain those who posted that it was on their BP but they did not get the 3 beeps?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by GAC
Ok but how do you explain those who posted that it was on their BP but they did not get the 3 beeps?
The new machines don't beep - you get a green light. That also let's you in the pre-check lane. Sorry, but I can't find any such posts where anyone with the pre-check logo didn't get 3 beeps or the green light. Which post numbers back you up? I have never personally met or heard of anyone with the pre-check logo on their BP (until today) who did not get pre-check lane access and I travel by air every week.

I have met people who were randomly selected for further security while going through the pre-check lane. But they were NOT sent to the regular lane. That doesn't mean some rogue TSA employee didn't break the rules and sent someone through the regular lane.

Last edited by DCBob; Jun 3, 2013 at 8:06 am
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by phltraveler
My experience differs. I got the three beeps today (which backs what you say about the logo), but was sent over to the normal (non pre-check, AIT, liquids out of bag, shoes off, etc.) lane as a "random" for my first Precheck attempt
That bothers me greatly and I take your word for it. I would ask to see a TSA supervisor and find out why I was not given ACCESS to the pre-check lane even if I was selected as a random. I would explain I had no problem getting additional scrutiny but it should be within the pre-check lane.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:14 am
GAC
Suspended

Sorry, but I can't find any such posts where anyone with the pre-check logo didn't get 3 beeps or the green light. Which post numbers back you up? I have never personally met or heard of anyone with the pre-check logo on their BP (until today) who did not get pre-check lane access and I travel by air every week.
Post 739 was the most recent in this thread.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by GAC
Post 739 was the most recent in this thread.
Thanks, somehow I missed that post. I am wondering if it was the official TSA Pre✓ banner on the BP or maybe just a promotional spot advertising TSA Pre✓, which is appearing in a lot of places lately - and maybe even on BPs. Because when you have a "0" at the end of the barcoded ticket number, you don't get 3 beeps or a green light, and you don't get the TSA Pre✓ logo either. When you have a 3 at the end of the barcoded ticket number, on the other hand, you DO get all of those indicators. Something can't be right here. Maybe the machine was malfunctioning or the OP thought he only heard 1 beep.

Yesterday, I cleared TSA Pre✓ at ANC on a United flight. I have NEVER, EVER missed getting Pre✓ on the three airlines I fly - US, UA, and DL, except in two situations (and that's out of a few hundred flights):

1. When I traveled on a flight that was part of an INTL itinerary (before the recent rule change) and
2. On DL once while they were in a programming transition period to add TSA Pre✓ to online BPs (they hadn't yet done so). It may have been that my KTN had not been added to my reservation in that case and I booked online at Travelocity where I had not added my FF number. That will also cause you to miss TSA Pre✓ on DL unless you call them to add your KTN to the reservation. If your SkyMiles number is included when you reserve, that won't happen as long as your KTN is in your FF profile.

Last edited by DCBob; Jun 4, 2013 at 2:15 pm
Old Jun 4, 2013, 7:41 pm
GAC
Suspended

^ your guess is as good as any. Hopefully more and more will chime in with their experience. I still scan my BP and have been ok with it always having 32 at the end. So far.

But in PHL one TSA guy went out of his way to tell me that even though it was on my BP if I didn't get the 3 beeps I would be sent to the other line. He told me this AFTER my 3 beeps. No clue why
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:13 pm

2. On DL once while they were in a programming transition period to add TSA Pre✓ to online BPs (they hadn't yet done so). It may have been that my KTN had not been added to my reservation in that case and I booked online at Travelocity where I had not added my FF number. That will also cause you to miss TSA Pre✓ on DL unless you call them to add your KTN to the reservation. If your SkyMiles number is included when you reserve, that won't happen as long as your KTN is in your FF profile.
TSA says they have a bunch of factors including random checks/additional screening, yada yada.

Originally Posted by TSA
Q. Will passengers with a TSA Pre✓™ indicator on their boarding passes still be subject to random exclusion of TSA Pre✓™ benefits?
A. While passengers with the TSA Pre✓™ indicator have been pre-cleared to access the TSA Pre✓ ™ lane no passenger is ever guaranteed expedited screening.TSA continues to incorporate random, unpredictable screening measures.
So while the Precheck indicator helps remind you that you're eligible and tells security staff screening before the start of the line that you are eligible to use the line, you can either still be denied manually (by a human being, as I was) or by a random factor (you get Precheck on your BP and get to use the Precheck line, but get one beep and thus don't get Precheck after BP scanning).
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Anyone been noticing TSA Pre-check logo on electronic BPs?

A nice addition, really like it.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I think I first noticed the pre-check logo when they first introduced the iphone passbook BPs. On the whole I think it is a huge step up from what they had before. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.