Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay or Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I did this last month - 110K miles for two Envoy RT to LHR - nice! But I am trying to do it again in early 2013 but I see no availability! I guess I either have to act quickly or re-check for open dates.

Edited to add - The seat maps for dates to LHR in January are wide open and yet the off-peak saver shows sold out. Last time there was plenty of availability. Guess I will have to check frequently.
For winter 2013 there is still good availability to FCO and some availability to CDG. If you need to get to London you may consider train from Paris.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
For these low-saver awards to Europe, how do people feel about the actual trip once they are there in January/February? For a place like Paris, Rome or London I thought the weather was usually bitterly cold to make it not too pleasant of a trip if a lot of time is planned for being outdoors walking around the cities. I'm curious what everyone does on these trips with the weather.
My wife and I have made numerous trips to Europe in the winter. While the postcard-perfect sunny lunch at an outdoor cafe is out of the question, there is still plenty to do without the crowds. We choose a hotel near a metro/subway entrance and go from there... no big deal at all. And FWIW the weather in Rome is not so bad... just last December (26-31st) my wife and I were in Rome and we actually did eat outside in the sun for several of our lunches (60 degrees and sunny!).
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by geo1005
My wife and I have made numerous trips to Europe in the winter. While the postcard-perfect sunny lunch at an outdoor cafe is out of the question, there is still plenty to do without the crowds. We choose a hotel near a metro/subway entrance and go from there... no big deal at all. And FWIW the weather in Rome is not so bad... just last December (26-31st) my wife and I were in Rome and we actually did eat outside in the sun for several of our lunches (60 degrees and sunny!).
By comparison with Eastern and Northern US, climate in Europe is reasonably mild and far less variable. I have hit no end of sunny 50 degree days in Paris in January and February. Rarely below freezing, although it does happen. I can also remember going out to dinner on 22 June, the longest day of the year, and wondering whether to take my sweater or a rain jacket. Ended up taking both, which was good, since there was even some hail.

But, hey, the fewer people who know this, the less the competition for the cheap Envoy seats Nov-Feb. So you'll never hear it from me.

(The other interesting thing is the unintended effect, at least in France and Italy, of the ban on smoking. Since the smokers can't sit inside in the cafe and smoke, no matter what the weather, there is more life outside the cafes. Also, in France at least, they have created outdoors like indoors, with heating lamps and so on ... again, to accommodate the smokers. Of whom there are many. Unless you are hyper-tobacco sensitive, it makes the winters a little more like the springs and summers.)

Last edited by Biggie Fries; Mar 7, 2012 at 12:33 pm Reason: The benefits of persistent smoking among the French and Italians

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.