Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ check-in: (Y to PHL, J to LHR)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: rapidly diminishing
YYZ check-in: (Y to PHL, J to LHR)

Initial searches on FT, USAirways.com and GTAA website drew a blank, hence this post...

My mum is returning to the UK next week, and I've used BD miles to send her back YYZ-PHL-LHR. As she's travelling on her own I am trying to minimize the unknowns for her, so that she can have a worry-free trip back

Her first leg is in Y (I'm pretty certain it's a one-class flight? US Express/Air Wisconsin CRJ) and her onward flight to LHR is in Envoy.

So, my questions are:

- Does US have their own check-in desks at T1?

- Will she be able to use priority check-in at YYZ? (I *think* so, but suspect she will just line up in Y if she isn't 100% sure, to avoid embarassment!)

- I don't think there is any priority lane going through US Customs at YYZ (it's been a while since I've been through), so how long would you suggest I allow for her?

- Her flight is at 3:20pm on a Wednesday afternoon. I'm guessing if she gets there to check in at 1pm, this should be sufficient if she can do priority checkin... or should I suggest she gets there earlier?

- I can check her in online the day before, if that helps. Presume she would need to bag drop, though (not sure how this is dealt with by US at YYZ, though - anyone done this and can advise?)

Thanks in advance for help. All suggestions appreciated!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by sofasurfer
Initial searches on FT, USAirways.com and GTAA website drew a blank, hence this post...

My mum is returning to the UK next week, and I've used BD miles to send her back YYZ-PHL-LHR. As she's travelling on her own I am trying to minimize the unknowns for her, so that she can have a worry-free trip back

Her first leg is in Y (I'm pretty certain it's a one-class flight? US Express/Air Wisconsin CRJ) and her onward flight to LHR is in Envoy.

So, my questions are:

- Does US have their own check-in desks at T1?

- Will she be able to use priority check-in at YYZ? (I *think* so, but suspect she will just line up in Y if she isn't 100% sure, to avoid embarassment!)

- I don't think there is any priority lane going through US Customs at YYZ (it's been a while since I've been through), so how long would you suggest I allow for her?

- Her flight is at 3:20pm on a Wednesday afternoon. I'm guessing if she gets there to check in at 1pm, this should be sufficient if she can do priority checkin... or should I suggest she gets there earlier?

- I can check her in online the day before, if that helps. Presume she would need to bag drop, though (not sure how this is dealt with by US at YYZ, though - anyone done this and can advise?)

Thanks in advance for help. All suggestions appreciated!
She should be fine to check in at the First/Envoy desk. As a point of comparison, if your first leg on a domestic itinerary is on an all coach RJ flight and you're connecting to a domestic two-class flight in F, the first class baggage allowance applies.

AFAIK there's no priority customs pre-clearance channel at Pearson. Unless you're a member of the NEXUS expedited US/Canada border screening program, everybody uses the same line.

Last edited by thomwithanh; Feb 8, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: US CP; SPG P; Hyatt P; HH S
FWIW, before I got my NEXUS card I always have myself three hours at YYZ... And I'm not a fan of arriving early to the airport.

It's not abnormal for a 1 hour customs line followed by a 1 hour security line (though I'd assume a J seat will get her into the AMEX Platinum security line).

The J seat probably gets her MLL access too, just in case the lines aren't long.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
She should be fine to check in at the First/Envoy desk. As a point of comparison, if your first leg on a domestic itinerary is on an all coach RJ flight and you're connecting to a domestic two-class flight in F, the first class baggage allowance applies.

AFAIK there's no priority customs pre-clearance channel at Pearson. Unless you're a member of the NEXUS expedited US/Canada border screening program, everybody uses the same line.
In Jan of this year, it took me nearly 3 hours to clear security at YYZ.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
US has it's one check in desk, with a First line (flights to CLT and the old PHX flights had first)

There is no priority lane, leave lots of time, but 1pm for a 3:20pm flight is more than enough time. The Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge is very nice. After you pass through security (after Customs), go immediately to your right and up the elevators, do not go down the escalators.

There is a priority security lane for Amex Plat holders.

Online check-in is nice, but i wouldn't worry about it. There are plenty of kiosks as well. In particular, the bag drop at YYZ is tricky. You need to pick up your luggage tag at check-in, and take it through US customs and then drop it off.

Do leave time in PHL to connect from the F terminal to Terminal A. However, if i recall correctly, the LHR flight leaves quite late and you have a long connection.

Enjoy your trip. Envoy to LHR is very nice.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by ericcheung
US has it's one check in desk, with a First line (flights to CLT and the old PHX flights had first)

There is no priority lane, leave lots of time, but 1pm for a 3:20pm flight is more than enough time. The Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge is very nice. After you pass through security (after Customs), go immediately to your right and up the elevators, do not go down the escalators.

There is a priority security lane for Amex Plat holders.

Online check-in is nice, but i wouldn't worry about it. There are plenty of kiosks as well. In particular, the bag drop at YYZ is tricky. You need to pick up your luggage tag at check-in, and take it through US customs and then drop it off.

Do leave time in PHL to connect from the F terminal to Terminal A. However, if i recall correctly, the LHR flight leaves quite late and you have a long connection.

Enjoy your trip. Envoy to LHR is very nice.
The US Airways Club near the A Gates is very nice, it used to be the Envoy Room until a few years ago

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.