Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how early can I drop off checked bag at SFO for 10pm flight to CLT?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Is 7am possible?

thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marrriott Platinum
No, I think it is 8 hours before. I had the same issue on a 10:00 from SFO, and I had to wait until afternoon to check a case of wine as baggage.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:44 pm

Official US policy is to accept bags no earlier than four hours prior; not sure how well this is enforced at SFO --- especially for a redeye, I would like to think not very strictly given how quiet things are in the early evening.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Dont call me Shirley
Official US policy is to accept bags no earlier than four hours prior; not sure how well this is enforced at SFO --- especially for a redeye, I would like to think not very strictly given how quiet things are in the early evening.
I was going to say that I thought it was 4 hours.

I'll never forget waiting at JFK for the agent to accept bags. She sat there reading her book until exactly 4 hours before the flight, while we lined up and waited.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
I was going to say that I thought it was 4 hours.

I'll never forget waiting at JFK for the agent to accept bags. She sat there reading her book until exactly 4 hours before the flight, while we lined up and waited.
I assume it's the same with curbside check-in these days?

(in the good old days, you could slip a $10 or $20 to the curbside check-in guy
and he would let you check as many bags as you wanted, within reason )
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by Dont call me Shirley
I've had it enforced fairly strictly at SFO in the past. I missed the last mid-day flight out due to a bad traffic backup, and the next flight was the red-eye. I had already returned my rental car and since they wouldn't let me check my luggage early, I had the fun of wandering the airport with my luggage in tow for five or six hours.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Dia, MR G
The rule is 4 hours. In the few times that I have tried early, maybe up to 7 or 8 hours, I have never been turned away.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage
What about in this situation? I have a morning flight arriving at CLT around 10:45 am followed by a flight to CDG leaving at 4:40 pm, on one itinerary. Will my bags be held for the 5-6 hours in between flight? Many thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by techsman
What about in this situation? I have a morning flight arriving at CLT around 10:45 am followed by a flight to CDG leaving at 4:40 pm, on one itinerary. Will my bags be held for the 5-6 hours in between flight? Many thanks.
Yes.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Gold, National Emerald Executive
This is an interesting thread. Consistency by US in this scenario would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.