Wiki Posts
Search

No preferred upgrades on award tix?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: National EE, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold
No preferred upgrades on award tix?

I am confused about something. I got 2 answers from the Silver DM desk saying that there are no preferred upgrades on award tix? Is that the case? I want to know for sure. I am looking at flights into Orlando next month and they are pricing out close to $500 bucks or I can fly with my miles. What would you guys do?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Originally Posted by ryguy4690
I am confused about something. I got 2 answers from the Silver DM desk saying that there are no preferred upgrades on award tix? Is that the case? I want to know for sure. I am looking at flights into Orlando next month and they are pricing out close to $500 bucks or I can fly with my miles. What would you guys do?
Correct, no preferred upgrades on award tix. I would fly with miles and sit in coach or if it is really important to you to be in F, use miles for F.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
No, generally, there are no upgrades on award tickets. There is an exception for higher tiered fliers as a perk (I think at the 85k mark?) but in general, no upgrades.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:28 am
Original Poster

I really appreciate the replies. That certainty does not seem too fair though when you think about it.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I really appreciate the replies. That certainty does not seem too fair though when you think about it.
I can see both sides of the argument. BTW, on the day of travel, ask the TA if there are any seats open in F. I have been UG'd on award tickets several times just by asking the TA and/or the GA nicely, without any expectation.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tommyleo
I can see both sides of the argument. BTW, on the day of travel, ask the TA if there are any seats open in F. I have been UG'd on award tickets several times just by asking the TA and/or the GA nicely, without any expectation.
Yeah, thats a great idea. I just was not sure if I should pay for the ticket cash or just use my miles for a Y award ticket. What would your opinion be on that?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Yeah, thats a great idea. I just was not sure if I should pay for the ticket cash or just use my miles for a Y award ticket. What would your opinion be on that?
What's your route? One other thing to consider is that even if you pay cash, as Silver (like I am) depending on the route and timing an upgrade could be quite unlikely.

Flights priced at $500 can definitely be good opportunities to use miles if you can get the 25K rate, but you also have to factor in the miles that you won't receive if you make the award booking. For instance, I know that my travel usually keeps me just above Silver, so if I booked a long cross-country flight with miles, that might mean I end the year not reaching Silver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.