Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weight Restrictions out of LGA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways Plat, Intercontinental Plat, SkyMiles Gold, Mileage Plus Gold
Weight Restrictions out of LGA

Is it normal for E145 to go out of LGA under weight restriction?

Flying out last Friday I was on standby for one of the earlier delayed flights to PIT. 3 CPs got on including me with about 10 people not getting on the flight. The flight departed with ~6 empty seats.

Was this due to weight or why would US do this?

Last edited by shamun160; Jan 30, 2012 at 3:58 pm
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: None
I don't know much about the ERJ-145 other than what it looks like, but it would be one of two things. Either a weight restriction or the GA didn't want to take a delay processing all the standby passengers.

Jim
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAirways Plat, Intercontinental Plat, SkyMiles Gold, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
I don't know much about the ERJ-145 other than what it looks like, but it would be one of two things. Either a weight restriction or the GA didn't want to take a delay processing all the standby passengers.

Jim
It seemed to be a deliberate attempt to limit to 3 additional passengers. She called 3 names and when one did not show she let another CP take the place of the no show.

We were using the runway heading west, which was a 1st for me for takeoff. Maybe that had something to do with it.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:44 pm

Looks like all flights this morning were taking off out of 31 towards the city; I thought it was odd...(LGA-BOS)
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by shamun160
It seemed to be a deliberate attempt to limit to 3 additional passengers.
That does sound like a weight restriction issue then. Don't know enough about the plane to comment further.

Jim
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
That does sound like a weight restriction issue then. Don't know enough about the plane to comment further.

Jim
It's a 50 seater, comparable to a CRJ-200 though it's a bit longer and narrower.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:17 pm

There's a thread on a.net titled "ERJ takeoff" which has a post from a 145 pilot who seems to indicate a max landing weight issue on the 145. That and a short segment probably ganged up on the people left behind.

My only 145 experience was CO's "how much torture can we inflict" EWR-OKC deal - where they manage to lighten the load sufficiently by turning jet fuel into noise for just under 4 hours.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
If the OP was flying standby/move-up and got on the flight then I'd assume (or maybe hope) the folks who didn't make the flight were also standby and/or non-rev's. They'll be the first to go in a weight restricted situation.

I don't know the physics and mechanics of flight but if memory serves me, Friday was not a great weather day here in the Northeast, so perhaps the ERJ had to take on more fuel in anticipation of a potential diversion/flight path deviation/long ATC hold in the air, which would decrease the number of passengers who could be boarded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.