Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

The US Airways /American Airlines merger-related thread (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The US Airways /American Airlines merger-related thread (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:26 am

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Yes, but the scope Parker has offered is still a significant loss from current AA... it's basically current US scope, which allows tons of 76-seat Republic jets.

The scope AA management wants is horrifyingly bad and would set a very bad precedent for the industry, in terms of allowing outsourced flying. It's almost as if AA managers want to outsource the entire airline, and just run a ticketing and frequent-flyer miles business.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by FCYTravis
Yes, but the scope Parker has offered is still a significant loss from current AA... it's basically current US scope, which allows tons of 76-seat Republic jets.

The scope AA management wants is horrifyingly bad and would set a very bad precedent for the industry, in terms of allowing outsourced flying. It's almost as if AA managers want to outsource the entire airline, and just run a ticketing and frequent-flyer miles business.
Not to disagree with your main point -- that there's a lot not to like about the proposed merger -- but if you are talking here about the E170s (and maybe E175s), I would say that they are one of the better aspects of being a current US FT. The planes themselves are comfortable, even in Y, where the first row can be very spacious. I think that they "feel good" in the air (as in, sort of fun looping back and forth over NJ while landing at PHL). The recent addition of an F cabin has resulted in a lot more upgrade space, the recline is the glory of the fleet (Envoy Suites excepted), and almost every comment on this board compares the Republic FAs favorably to main line US FAs, with the new F seeming to have lifted their pride and professionalism even further.

Now, back to the nightmare which is the merger ....
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
On that note, how close are PHL, DCA, and CLT?

While I certainly think that PHX would get drawn down, I doubt it will become just a spoke in the system.
Let's not forget UA keeping IAD and EWR, plus CLE and and ORD in that mix as well. That's 4 hubs in roughly the same distance as DFW and PHX.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by username
I know Parker said that they are comfortable in *A and didn't plan on moving even with the CO/UA merger. Now that you can tell he really has AA in mind. What is the likelihood/feasibility for US to initiate the move to OW first? Treating the AA merger and the OW move as two separate issues...

(It seems it is less work to merge with AA first and enter OW that way? What are the business, contractual and process roadblocks that would prevent them from moving to OW regardless of the AA outcome?)

Being a UA elite in a US hub, I definitely do not want to see this. However, I am pretty sure it will come.
Could be like CO moving to *A for awhile and then eventually tying up. I don't see that happening though without some serious merger potential happening down the road though.

They called CO entering the alliance and following codeshares with UA a virtual merger that offered most of the benefits of the a merger without a lot of the hassle. From that point, it made sense that CO and UA seal the deal with a formalized merger.

One could argue that the execution was off a lot though.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by dtremit
AA's got a huge competitive disadvantage in the East. For instance, they're down to serving only two cities in all of New England.
It's the main reason I hardly ever fly AA. I need to go to New England quite a bit (BTV, MHT, PWM) and that whole region doesn't exist to AA.

...the scope Parker has offered is still a significant loss from current AA... it's basically current US scope, which allows tons of 76-seat Republic jets.
But the bigger Embraers are light years ahead of CRJs or Qs. They're quite nice actually.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: None
It's not much different than current AA scope - 10 or so more large RJ's (which don't necessarily have to be the E-jets). It does allow up to 88 seats, which is more than current scope but that just allows bigger versions of planes that current scope allows and is still well below the 100 seat line.

It is quite a bit better than what AA wants. One of AA's many problems was how long it took to get over the 50-seat RJ limit, and even when they were able to the limit was still 70 seats and only 70-some total.

The code sharing provisions is probably the biggest scope difference as well as another area where Parker promised AA unions better than he's offered US unions.

Jim
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
AA has JFK and had a good operation at LGA. Also had the RDU hub for north-south traffic but closed it. So this would be considered Mid-Atlantic operations.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
Let's not forget UA keeping IAD and EWR, plus CLE and and ORD in that mix as well. That's 4 hubs in roughly the same distance as DFW and PHX.
It's too early for me to view CLE as "kept."
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:06 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Not that anyone here cares, but on a Facebook flight attendant AA/US group page, there are 10,400 flight attendants from both airlines standing together in support of a merger.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Am I the only one who's sad about the prospect of losing a cheap way to get *A miles, nervous at losing the easy availability of US miles, but secretly hoping that it goes through and I can get a relatively cheap oneworld distance-based award?
Nope -- me, too!

I have a stash of miles with BMI that could become BA Avios in July. Avios are great value for short-hop (<650 mile) flights that don't include YQ... and US's many high-yield (i.e., bloody expensive) ex-DCA non-stops fit the bill.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by flight62
Not that anyone here cares, but on a Facebook flight attendant AA/US group page, there are 10,400 flight attendants from both airlines standing together in support of a merger.
10,400 FA's or 10,400 people liking the pages, who may or may not be flight attendants for either airline?

Last I checked, Facebook doesn't verify employment. I could go there today and magically be a flight attendant for any airline.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911
10,400 FA's or 10,400 people liking the pages, who may or may not be flight attendants for either airline?

Last I checked, Facebook doesn't verify employment. I could go there today and magically be a flight attendant for any airline.
10,347 members in the group. The admins are FAs, and are verifying employees. It is a very positive page.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Does it make sense to exchange US Airways miles?

If the merger between AA and US is completed, it is very likely (99.9% in my opinion) that the "merged" airline will stay in Oneworld. I like the airlines (OZ, SQ, LH, etc.) in the Star Alliance. Cathay Pacific is the only airline that I like in Oneworld. My question is it worth the 'hit' to exchange US miles to another Star Alliance airline? I have over 2MM+ miles and my family members have over 1MM+ miles per member. Or should I just eat my lima beans by flying the airlines in Oneworld?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
The plan offered by US mgmt to the AA unions doesn't address fundamental issues of higher labor costs. Seems like empire building to me by Parker et al.

Similarly, the AA BK plan doesn't make sense - the AA employess are already on the old and bitter side of the equation and cutting pay/pensions would make this worse; service quality would suffer and flyers would stay away. This approach would almost surely be the most consumer friendly however.

Best solution would appear to be the Pan Am route - sell off valuable routes, gates and let the AA brand die. OW might be toast and this would be bad for consumers but their situation has deteriorated to the point where it probably isn't savlageable. Maybe they can prove me wrong.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by jfinsocal
The plan offered by US mgmt to the AA unions doesn't address fundamental issues of higher labor costs. Seems like empire building to me by Parker et al.

Similarly, the AA BK plan doesn't make sense - the AA employess are already on the old and bitter side of the equation and cutting pay/pensions would make this worse; service quality would suffer and flyers would stay away. This approach would almost surely be the most consumer friendly however.

Best solution would appear to be the Pan Am route - sell off valuable routes, gates and let the AA brand die.
I don't think the situation at AA is a bleak as you make it out to be. While the employees may be unhappy with management, from a customer's perspective, I haven't noticed AA being significantly worse (or better) than the other two airlines I fly a lot, US and WN.

I do agree that the Pan Am route makes more sense than a US merger with DP's current contract offer to AA's unions.

OW might be toast and this would be bad for consumers but their situation has deteriorated to the point where it probably isn't savlageable. Maybe they can prove me wrong.

Oneworld won't be toast. There are enough non-aligned airlines (WN/AS/B6) as well as the odd-man out of the *A ATI, US, that could be wooed to oneworld. While none of the above, save jetblue, have shown significant interest in joining oneworld, a oneworld facing the prospect of no major U.S. partner will probably be making an offer that can't be refused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.