Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I leave my itinerary early?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Can I leave my itinerary early?

I am looking at flights from BOS to LGA and a one-way is $409.

But if I book BOS to ORF it's $103 via LGA!

The only thing is I have bags.... so how could I do this and make sure the bags get off with me at LGA?

I really do not understand the pricing structure at all! But good for a mileage run I suppose.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:25 pm

If you book the BOS-LGA-ORF then the bags will go to ORF. and if you are planning a RT and skip the LGA/ORF/LGA route then you will most likely have the rest of the route cancelled. Can you carry on a bag?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: none
1. Pack light, then hand-carry. Your bags will go where they are ticketed. In this case, Norfolk.

2. Don't come back. It won't work if you try a round trip.

3. If you need two tickets, buy two one-ways.

When you no-show for the LGA-ORF segment, the rest of your trip will be cancelled.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's
Hidden City

You could do this if you didn't check bags...

You would not get credited any miles for the flight(s).

If the airline notices a pattern of hidden city bookings you can have your frequent flyer status/miles revoked. That being said, have I carried on and booked hidden cities before? You betcha.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Yes, i haveno option but to take bags as I've got "equipment" in them.

Seems crazy I would have to pay 4x more to travel less.

I suppose what I was asking was I couldn't just ask the desk agent to just put an LGA tag on instead of LGA ORF?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
You could always ask but it is unlikely they would short-check your bags. At that point what would you do with your ticket if it didn't work? Fly to ORF?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:46 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
ship the equipment?

take the train?

try jfk?/ewr
Old Jan 10, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Keep in mind that you're booking travel between BOS-ORF. If there's irrops, mechanical problem, overbooking etc they might (and are perfectly allowed to) reroute you BOS-DCA-ORF.

As far as pricing structure, to the folks who set the fares, BOS-LGA is a more "valuable" service than BOS-ORF regardless of connecting point. People in BOS will pay more to go to NYC than they will pay to go to Norfolk. So they charge more for the fare, even if it theoretically costs them less to operate that flight than it does to operate 2 flights to get you to ORF.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket

The only thing is I have bags.... so how could I do this and make sure the bags get off with me at LGA?

I really do not understand the pricing structure at all! But good for a mileage run I suppose.
what is the pricing from MHT or PVD?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:47 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket

WN has BOS-BWI-ORF for...wait for it...$103 each way. That's why US charges $103 each way.

WN has BOS-PHL for as little as $41 each way but they're dropping that sometime next month, presumably before you want to travel since you say US has a much higher fare.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by etsmyers
what is the pricing from MHT or PVD?
Take the commuter rail down to PVD (~2 minutes from checkin) and then fly from there. Fare should be much lower.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
DCA-LGA can be like that as well on US shuttle. Last time I just took Amtrak.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Keep in mind that you're booking travel between BOS-ORF. If there's irrops, mechanical problem, overbooking etc they might (and are perfectly allowed to) reroute you BOS-DCA-ORF.

As far as pricing structure, to the folks who set the fares, BOS-LGA is a more "valuable" service than BOS-ORF regardless of connecting point. People in BOS will pay more to go to NYC than they will pay to go to Norfolk. So they charge more for the fare, even if it theoretically costs them less to operate that flight than it does to operate 2 flights to get you to ORF.
The OP is US*S so that would be very unlikely because agents are not supposed to deny boarding to Preferred pax.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fly747first
The OP is US*S so that would be very unlikely because agents are not supposed to deny boarding to Preferred pax.
Huh? There are other ways to get rerouted than IDB... Notably if the delayed flight would cause a misconnect...
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fly747first
This makes zero sense. If OP's flight is, for example, cancelled due to weather, he will be routed to ORF, perhaps through PHL or CLT, not to LGA.

OP should also understand that not only will BOS not short-check his bags to LGA, but that asking is a red flag and US will most certainly follow-up if he actually does pull the fraud off. This is a big deal to US and it's on a route where people try it all the time. He isn't the first and won't be the last.

OP - Take the Acela -- relax, enjoy yourself and have a good time. No need to degrade yourself on WN or anything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.