Community
Wiki Posts
Search

air marshals in first class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by etsmyers
As mentioned, yes, we need them front and back. Why do both need to be in FC.
Maybe there was a third on the flight? For an experienced traveler it does get kind of easy to spot these guys, so maybe for "variety" they mix it up a little, change the number of FAM on a flight or change where they are sitting. I doubt anyone will be able to answer for sure. The only way it will change is if congress reforms how DHS does its thing. It may be worth writing your congressperson if you feel strongly about it, but I'd frame it as "Is this the best use of taxpayer money" and not "I'm sore because my upgrade got taken away."

Personally I don't know how the DHS pays for the seats the FAM's take on the planes, but even if it's at no cost to the government, and the cost is absorbed by the airlines, it gives the impression of wasteful spending. So it's a legitimte complaint for your elected officials; no idea if enough complaints would ever change anything, as (like others have noted) the whole point of having a FAM on board is lost if that FAM is in Row 39 and trouble goes down. But it's an election year, no better time to complain....
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Orwaid
BTW -- maybe the OP can edit to remove the apostrophe.
Once a thread is posted, only a moderator can make adjustments to the thread title. But I took care of it.

The way I see this is yes, it is a bit inconvenient. But on a fairly open flight that's an hour long...I'd probably just move on. If it was on a full PHL-SFO, I'd certainly feel differently.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage - Executive Platinum
FAM

The Jason Stratham-looking FAM was my roommate in college. On a flight out of Charlotte last month he sat down next to me in FC. We had a nice chat about the job. He flies 4-5 times per week. In the grand scheme of things - I know it can be frustrating when you think the upgrade is within sight - but the truth is, they fly enough to have earned it themselves.

Even as a CP with 132,000 miles this past year, he flies a ton more than I do. And if he's there to help . . . take the big seat. I'll deal with coach. I didn't pay for the upgrade anyway.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:17 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
ONE: They are not upgraded. The ticket is a paid FC ticket. So full fare trumps any upgrade.
TWO: Single aisle has 2 up front.
THREE: Widebody has 2 up front and 2 in back.
FOUR: The government makes this rule, not the airlines.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by ajfitz:17785527
Even as a CP with 132,000 miles this past year, he flies a ton more than I do. And if he's there to help . . . take the big seat. I'll deal with coach. I didn't pay for the upgrade anyway.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.