Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ChoiceSeats / Choice seats: where, when how much?
(Not to be confused with Preferred seats)

https://www-mobile.usairways.com/en-...oiceseats.html

ChoiceSeats "are mostly window and aisle seats toward the front of Coach" and "You'll find the same leg room as other seats, but you'll be closer to the front of the plane. You will board with Zone 2.

ChoiceSeats pricing varies based on flight length, destination and time of day.

You can buy ChoiceSeats on all US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express flights, when flights are booked, during check-in and anytime in between on usairways.com with Manage reservation on usairways.com.

"If US Airways changes or cancels your flight, changes aircraft or causes you to miss a connection, or if you’re denied boarding on an oversold flight and we’re unable to provide your ChoiceSeats, you'll receive a refund. We'll proactively process your refund if your reservation changed before you checked in. If your reservation changed after you checked in, please call 800-428-4322 to request a refund.

ChoiceSeats are non-refundable if you change, cancel or miss your flight."

Elites, including Executive Platinum / Chairman's Preferred, are not entitled to gratis ChoiceSeats, unless they can snag them when availability is opened 30 minutes prior to departure. AAdvantage elite members are able to secure exit row seats gratis, however.
Print Wikipost

ChoiceSeats / Choice seat fees, rules, questions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dat4life
So... I just bought 4 last minute tickets (B fares) for early next week. One my of my flights is showing F0 already, so no dice on a upgrade. While the exit rows are available per ExpertFlyer, I can't select them as my sister is on the reservation too and she's not 15 yet. So the only remaining seats are middles or a row of Choice Seats.

Quite frankly, I think it's bovine feces to charge for selecting these seats given the expensive last minute fare I purchased and my status (AA PLT) but it is what it is. So my question is, do choice seats open up to elites for free at check in, or am I going to have fork over the $200 for the choice seats?
I understand that the choice seats aren't necessary anything special but I don't understand why one would complain about US providing options for exactly this situation, last minute tickets.

It is very likely that you are not the only passengers without seat assignments. So if the Choice Seats weren't Choice Seats those that purchased before you would very likely have chosen those seats leaving just middle seats so you'd be worse off than you are with the Choice Seat option. Whether you choose to pay to get them is up to you but to complain that they even exist when you buy a last minute ticket just doesn't make sense.

FWIW they aren't free to US Elites either.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:59 am

So glad that I found this thread. I've been trying to find out if the Choice Seats actually provided more legroom. I'm a Disabled Vet and my Better 1/2 is disabled as well. I believe that I have found that answer before (they don't - correct?) but came here to have it confirmed. In reading through these posts, it sort of seems that this is true.
I'm planning a surprise wedding anniversary trip to HNL 9/2015 and I can see many of these seats. But if they don't provide any extra legroom then they are useless in our situation.
From here I will try to learn ExpertFlyer as suggested in an earlier post.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by mommafrica
So glad that I found this thread. I've been trying to find out if the Choice Seats actually provided more legroom. I'm a Disabled Vet and my Better 1/2 is disabled as well. I believe that I have found that answer before (they don't - correct?) but came here to have it confirmed. In reading through these posts, it sort of seems that this is true.
I'm planning a surprise wedding anniversary trip to HNL 9/2015 and I can see many of these seats. But if they don't provide any extra legroom then they are useless in our situation.
From here I will try to learn ExpertFlyer as suggested in an earlier post.
Correct. Choice seats only provide a seat closer to the front...nothing more.

If you would like a bulkhead seat due to a disability, which might provide a little more leg room (and guarantee no one can lean their seat back into you), that you may be able to get by calling in. The other seats with more legroom are exit row seats, but a disability would probably disqualify you from sitting in them. The only other option would be a first class seat, but that is obviously very dependent on your budget.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Choice seats suppose to be free to EXP but GA can't do so

Taking an earlier MSY/CLT flight to give me more time in CLT on a connection. Other than the last row just Choice seats are available (number 2 on upgrade list but very doubtful). The GA tells me that EXPs are suppose to get those seats free now but she can't change seat without charging me the $39. So do EXPs really get those seats free now? As a side note, AFAIK after the drain down Choice seats become MCE, still free for PLTs and EXPs.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Sorry, but bullcrap to that GA. As a non-elite, I got a free Choice Seat at the gate quite a few times. I saw the GA enter something in the computer that said something-or-other: "Choice Seat Fee Exemption" with a list of reasons, one being "Customer Service."

Escalate if needed.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Going to disagree: nobody gets choice seats for free - until 30 minutes before departure when all choice seats become free seats.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Going to disagree: nobody gets choice seats for free - until 30 minutes before departure when all choice seats become free seats.
^ This. Choice Seats are not free to anyone until 30 minutes before departure.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Correct. But it's all a moot point after Oct 17.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.