Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ChoiceSeats / Choice seats: where, when how much?
(Not to be confused with Preferred seats)

https://www-mobile.usairways.com/en-...oiceseats.html

ChoiceSeats "are mostly window and aisle seats toward the front of Coach" and "You'll find the same leg room as other seats, but you'll be closer to the front of the plane. You will board with Zone 2.

ChoiceSeats pricing varies based on flight length, destination and time of day.

You can buy ChoiceSeats on all US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express flights, when flights are booked, during check-in and anytime in between on usairways.com with Manage reservation on usairways.com.

"If US Airways changes or cancels your flight, changes aircraft or causes you to miss a connection, or if you’re denied boarding on an oversold flight and we’re unable to provide your ChoiceSeats, you'll receive a refund. We'll proactively process your refund if your reservation changed before you checked in. If your reservation changed after you checked in, please call 800-428-4322 to request a refund.

ChoiceSeats are non-refundable if you change, cancel or miss your flight."

Elites, including Executive Platinum / Chairman's Preferred, are not entitled to gratis ChoiceSeats, unless they can snag them when availability is opened 30 minutes prior to departure. AAdvantage elite members are able to secure exit row seats gratis, however.
Print Wikipost

ChoiceSeats / Choice seat fees, rules, questions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:20 am
Original Poster

ChoiceSeats / Choice seat fees, rules, questions (merged threads)

Does this apply when you "Move Up" if those are the only seats left?

Thanks!

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 3, 2015 at 4:12 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: None
I can't say that every agent will treat it the same, but it should be the same - if you're eligible to Move Up (i.e. a seat is available on the earlier flight) the agent should assign you a seat, whether it's a choice seat or not.

Jim
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Great--thank you!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Choice seats showing as blocked on EF

Choice seats are now all showing as blocked on Expert Flyer, rather than as "$P" like they used to. Still see exit rows and preferred seats as "P"...

Not a big deal - wouldn't pay for a choice seat when I can book the exit row but I'm wondering what gives?
Old May 2, 2012, 12:57 pm

Choice/Preferred/Exit Row Seats Released at Gate?

Are Choice or Exit Row seats released at the gate prior to boarding for anyone to book (including non-preferreds)? And is there still a fee at that time?

Last edited by Opie100; May 2, 2012 at 3:54 pm
Old May 2, 2012, 2:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Opie100
Are Choice or Exit Row seats released at the gate prior to boarding for anyone to book (including non-preferreds)? And is there still a fee at that time?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Opie100!

'Choice' seats are not released at the gate unless there are no other seats available. If there is a middle seat available in the last row, you'll still have to pay for a 'choice' seat -- even if you are among the airline's most frequent customers.

I don't know about the exit row, as that seems to have changed of late.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
An agent in the PIT Club told me that Choice seats were released 45 minutes prior to departure.

I was in row 13 on a CRJ, and wanted a better seat, and the only one available was a Choice seat. The agent told me that she had to wait until 45 minutes before departure to assign it for free.

This was quite a few months ago, so things certainly may have changed.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Opie100!

'Choice' seats are not released at the gate unless there are no other seats available. If there is a middle seat available in the last row, you'll still have to pay for a 'choice' seat -- even if you are among the airline's most frequent customers.

I don't know about the exit row, as that seems to have changed of late.
That's never been true. All seats in coach open up for free at 45 minutes til departure.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MavSeven
That's never been true. All seats in coach open up for free at 45 minutes til departure.
It was absolutely true, though it may have changed in recent months. Fortunately, I haven't experienced it in the past several months. But I can think of three very specific situations where I, as a CP, was at the gate right up to departure with a crappy seat (each instance due to a problem created by US) and the agents absolutely, positively could not put me in a "choice" seat because non-choice seats were still available.

The first time it happened, the agent had me wait until the flight closed (it wasn't full) so she could tell me which open "choice" seat to just take when I got on the plane -- knowing that no one else would get on with a BP for that seat. The next two times, I told the agents of the trick and they did the same for me.

So don't tell me that's "never been true." Been there. Done it.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: nowadays: dl pm, formerly: hp plat/us cp/aa exp, nw plat
FYI

I know it isn't the same because all bets are off during IRROPS, but after a weather/ATC flight cancellation (where we'd held elite-upgraded F seats), I was able to get an agent at a post-security Customer Service counter in PHX to put me+traveling companion into Choice Seats for a flight several hours later for free since F was full.

I couldn't choose it online (without paying) and so I just went up to the counter and asked nicely.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:35 pm

USAirways: Choice seats last minute?

I'd like to know if there's a good strategy for getting a choice seat without having to pay.

What I mean: I've run into the scenario a couple times now, I book last minute, only seats available are choice, but the airline won't allow me to choose a choice seat unless I pay for it.

If I wait till checkin time, they have to assign me a seat, but they don't allow me to choose the seat I'd like.

Anyone know if there is a way around this?

I mean, to add insult to injury, I'm paying higher prices for the flights because they are last minute, shouldn't they throw in the seat choice?

Regards,

Mike
Old May 30, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
I think if there are no other available seats, they will assign you a Choice seat.

Otherwise, Choice seats open up for free 45 minutes prior to departure. Also, US even charges their highest tier elites for Choice seats, which is an entirely separate conversation...
Old May 30, 2012, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There's a greater chance that you wind up in a middle seat in the back of Y than in a freeloader choice seat. If you are hard up for cash and willing to take the risk, go for it. If you value your comfort -- to the extent that Choice is comfortable -- then ante up.
Old May 30, 2012, 5:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by panamamike
I'd like to know if there's a good strategy for getting a choice seat without having to pay.

What I mean: I've run into the scenario a couple times now, I book last minute, only seats available are choice, but the airline won't allow me to choose a choice seat unless I pay for it.

If I wait till checkin time, they have to assign me a seat, but they don't allow me to choose the seat I'd like.

Anyone know if there is a way around this?

Mike
No, I do not know a way to cheat the system and let you get a Choice seat for free when everyone else (including preferred flyers all the way up to Chairman) have to pay for Choice seats.

There is always Southwest as an option for you.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by GNALUZU
No, I do not know a way to cheat the system and let you get a Choice seat for free when everyone else (including preferred flyers all the way up to Chairman) have to pay for Choice seats.

There is always Southwest as an option for you.
Sir, I'm not trying to cheat the system, just trying to understand how it works and how to get the best seats possible.

I'm a professional and have to travel occasionally for a living. I don't travel enough to be an elite status traveler and my company is unwilling to pay for the extras. Just doing my best given my set of circumstances.

Regards,

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.