Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
ChoiceSeats / Choice seats: where, when how much?
(Not to be confused with Preferred seats)

https://www-mobile.usairways.com/en-...oiceseats.html

ChoiceSeats "are mostly window and aisle seats toward the front of Coach" and "You'll find the same leg room as other seats, but you'll be closer to the front of the plane. You will board with Zone 2.

ChoiceSeats pricing varies based on flight length, destination and time of day.

You can buy ChoiceSeats on all US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express flights, when flights are booked, during check-in and anytime in between on usairways.com with Manage reservation on usairways.com.

"If US Airways changes or cancels your flight, changes aircraft or causes you to miss a connection, or if you’re denied boarding on an oversold flight and we’re unable to provide your ChoiceSeats, you'll receive a refund. We'll proactively process your refund if your reservation changed before you checked in. If your reservation changed after you checked in, please call 800-428-4322 to request a refund.

ChoiceSeats are non-refundable if you change, cancel or miss your flight."

Elites, including Executive Platinum / Chairman's Preferred, are not entitled to gratis ChoiceSeats, unless they can snag them when availability is opened 30 minutes prior to departure. AAdvantage elite members are able to secure exit row seats gratis, however.
Print Wikipost

ChoiceSeats / Choice seat fees, rules, questions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: US -Plat, UA-Plat, AA-Plat, Marriott - Platinum,
Originally Posted by burlax
Bulkheads are reserved for people with disabilities. Sometimes they are blocked, sometimes not. If you get advance seat assignment to a bulkhead, you may be re-seated if the flight gets people with disabilities who require bulkhead. For this reason and b/c of the restricted legroom, bulkheads are the worst front seats imho. I never book them.
Thanks, that was what I was suspecting as well.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by burlax
Bulkheads are reserved for people with disabilities. Sometimes they are blocked, sometimes not. If you get advance seat assignment to a bulkhead, you may be re-seated if the flight gets people with disabilities who require bulkhead. For this reason and b/c of the restricted legroom, bulkheads are the worst front seats imho. I never book them.
+1
I'm usually assigned to row 4 on 319s/320s and I usually switch to the exit row.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
choice seats $50??

Im a gold right now but honestly, I just booked a flight and I cant beleive choice seats are $50. I cant stand to fly without being in an aisle seat and I think $50 for a 90 min flight is awful.
is there any way for a non preferred customer to get these seats without paying that much?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: AS, AA, WN
Yeah...I am not sure when the giant price increase occurred. I "wasted" $15 to put my girlfriend in an aisle near the front on her PHX-SMF flight a few months ago. When she took the same flight last week the choice seats were $49. Not even UA charges $49 for E+ on a similar length flight and at least with UA you get some extra legroom.

As for any way for someone like me (non-preferred) to get them...hope all the free seats are already taken when you book your flight. I got a bulkhead window for free on my CLT-SMF flight in May this way.

Last edited by flg8rmatt; Aug 10, 2013 at 10:50 am
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
even though Im not paying I think its disgraceful--just curious, do they block all the aisle/exit seats?? what is considered choice?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: AS, AA, WN
Originally Posted by nlkm9
even though Im not paying I think its disgraceful--just curious, do they block all the aisle/exit seats?? what is considered choice?
No, they aren't all blocked. My usual flights are on A320s or A319s. Usually all the windows and aisles behind the exits are open for anyone. As is the row in front of the exit, because there is no recline, IIRC. I have noticed that if some choice seats get snapped up, sometimes the first or second row immediately behind the exits will "magically" become Choice.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nlkm9
Im a gold right now ...
is there any way for a non preferred customer to get these seats without paying that much?
Both non-preferred and you as a gold pay for choice seats... No difference.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I've never paid for a "Choice Seat" and was surprised when a non-Preferred relative of mine had a choice of either a bad seat in the back of the plane or an exit row for $69.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:10 pm

For a non-status pax, E+ is worth paying for.

Choice seats (except exit row with extra legroom) is just a gouge.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:32 pm

choice seats $50??

I now need to fly DCA - HPN once a month. I wasted $15 on the exit row on the CJR 200 - there is no extra space on that plane in the exit row. I can't believe they would try to gouge $49 for that now!!!
Old Aug 10, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
You are confusing Choice and Preferred seating. Everyone , CP included pays for Choice seats, whereas Preferred seats would be free for you.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I've never paid for a "Choice Seat" and was surprised when a non-Preferred relative of mine had a choice of either a bad seat in the back of the plane or an exit row for $69.
Everyone pays for "Choice Seats" - preferred or non-preferred.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:51 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Probably one of the worst aspects of DM. On UA, I get no cost E+ as a 1K and I don't pay for these kinds of generic seats on AA as a Plat.

US has driven me to other airlines by charging for generic coach aisle seats - even for CPs. I've actually found that on some routes, DL will sell me F outright for less than US wants to for Y + a choice seat fee. Guess who got my money?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
US has driven me to other airlines by charging for generic coach aisle seats - even for CPs. I've actually found that on some routes, DL will sell me F outright for less than US wants to for Y + a choice seat fee. Guess who got my money?
Overall, US revenue has increased because of charging for choice seats. In the long-run, thats all they care about.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:27 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Overall, US revenue has increased because of charging for choice seats. In the long-run, thats all they care about.
I wonder how many preferreds actually pay? I know I definitely wouldn't, but I also have options with status on other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.