Old Apr 7, 2011, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
DL announced something similar.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
This is an excellent question. I'm sure there are business types who would rather have thier meal served at once, so they could a) get some sleep or B) get some work done on the flight. Just like the international flights Domestic FC should have the option of being served everything at once, or by course. I would see the FA taking care of the passenagers who want everything served at once, and then taking care of the other passenagers. This would give the impression of a more personal service then just one placing everything on one tray.

Originally Posted by dlen111
the one thing i use to love about CO was that they served everything seperately. even on a IAH-MCO flight. they no longer do. except for dessert on some flights?. it looks like US is the same.

why do airlines think that service all at once is ok? does it really save them money by allowing the FA's to throw everything at us at once as opposed to serving it in proper courses?
Old Apr 7, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: US CP
Odd numbered dinner flight PHL to LAX

No PDB. Everything was front to back including drink orders, drink service, dinner orders, and dinner service.

We were given two packets of the new savory mix, along with our first drink, before dinner.

Dinner choices were, as expected, Beef Teriyaki or Giant Ravioli.

I ordered the ravioli and liked it. The portion was huge. It came with the previously described grain/chicken appetizer, really good, along with Caesar salad, and a warm sourdough roll. No separate bread service.

As served.

I grabbed a shot of my seatmate's beef. He obviously was not pleased as his answer to the flight attendant asking if he was finished, he remarked, "This airline has reached a new culinary low."

I have really been wondering what salt and pepper sachets are. I just couldn't imagine anything other than the standard paper versions. They were actually different than what I expected, and kind of neat.

Desert was Creme Brulee Cheesecake and was pretty sweet but also really good.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

The meals look much better then before, but it appears the same meals are being served on the transcon flights. Hope this changes..

Originally Posted by tothetrail
No PDB. Everything was front to back including drink orders, drink service, dinner orders, and dinner service.

We were given two packets of the new savory mix, along with our first drink, before dinner.

I ordered the ravioli and liked it. The portion was huge. It came with the previously described grain/chicken appetizer, really good, along with Caesar salad, and a warm sourdough roll. No separate bread service.

As served.

I grabbed a shot of my seatmate's beef. He obviously was not pleased as his answer to the flight attendant asking if he was finished, he remarked, "This airline has reached a new culinary low."

I have really been wondering what salt and pepper sachets are. I just couldn't imagine anything other than the standard paper versions. They were actually different than what I expected, and kind of neat.

Desert was Creme Brulee Cheesecake and was pretty sweet but also really good.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by tothetrail

Interesting--that ravioli looks very different from the version I saw being served for lunch on US 1496 the other day. Those were much smaller than the ones in your picture, and they had less sauce and a spoonful or two of chopped spinach or something on top. Yours look better. I wouldn't have expected two different styles of the same dish to be in rotation, but perhaps that is exactly the case.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
The meals look much better then before, but it appears the same meals are being served on the transcon flights. Hope this changes..
That was my thought - not about this specific menu but meals overall. It would seem to me that rotating menus at least every couple of months would be good for the FF's who fly the same routes frequently enough to see the same thing repeatedly. Personally, it would seem that the "new" would wear of pretty quickly and it's back to "Oh, that again."

Jim
Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This is an excellent question. I'm sure there are business types who would rather have thier meal served at once, so they could a) get some sleep or B) get some work done on the flight. Just like the international flights Domestic FC should have the option of being served everything at once, or by course. I would see the FA taking care of the passenagers who want everything served at once, and then taking care of the other passenagers. This would give the impression of a more personal service then just one placing everything on one tray.
Sounds like a great idea, but then you would probably get people saying they want to eat in 15 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour etc. It might work on an international flight where you have more than one f/a and more than one oven to work with but on domestic if you're flying the 321 with 16 passengers, 1 f/a and 1 oven you would have your hands full trying to time it all. You would probably end up with meals under or overcooked since it's hard to stagger cook them all. Most people want to eat as quickly as possible so they can get their tray area cleared out to work, watch movies on the ipad or get out of their seat. It would be nice to have an express meal option like they do on transatlantic; those meals are always cold entrees that don't need cooking so that would take away the timing problems.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
That was my thought - not about this specific menu but meals overall. It would seem to me that rotating menus at least every couple of months would be good for the FF's who fly the same routes frequently enough to see the same thing repeatedly. Personally, it would seem that the "new" would wear of pretty quickly and it's back to "Oh, that again."

Jim
I thought I heard or read that they will be changing the menu rotation every month so people that travel a lot won't get tired of the same choices.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Captain Flush
Interesting--that ravioli looks very different from the version I saw being served for lunch on US 1496 the other day. Those were much smaller than the ones in your picture, and they had less sauce and a spoonful or two of chopped spinach or something on top. Yours look better. I wouldn't have expected two different styles of the same dish to be in rotation, but perhaps that is exactly the case.
Probably 2 different catering companies with versions of the same entree. Sky Chef might have catered it in one city and another company some place else.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:18 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
I thought I heard or read that they will be changing the menu rotation every month so people that travel a lot won't get tired of the same choices.
You would undoubtedly be more up-to-date that I, GW. A monthly rotation sounds great, not that I'll be partaking anytime soon.

Jim
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

I didn't know that US only places 1 FA in FC on a A321, sounds like that FA gets a work out.

Now you bring something up, if the Transpac express meal option is a cold item, couldn't that work on transcon flights too?

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Sounds like a great idea, but then you would probably get people saying they want to eat in 15 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour etc. It might work on an international flight where you have more than one f/a and more than one oven to work with but on domestic if you're flying the 321 with 16 passengers, 1 f/a and 1 oven you would have your hands full trying to time it all. You would probably end up with meals under or overcooked since it's hard to stagger cook them all. Most people want to eat as quickly as possible so they can get their tray area cleared out to work, watch movies on the ipad or get out of their seat. It would be nice to have an express meal option like they do on transatlantic; those meals are always cold entrees that don't need cooking so that would take away the timing problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.