Envoy seat swap complaint - update

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:11 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Envoy seat swap complaint - update

On a recent trip in December, I paid the $300 + 30000 miles to upgrade to Envoy on an A330-200 route. Based on the marketing on the web site at the time, I was led to believe I would be seated in one of the new Envoy suites. Well, when I boarded the plane was one of the 2 that were still flying in the system at the time with the older seats.

Given that US Airways advertised and promoted that the entire A330-200 fleet would be fully converted "by November 2011", I complained and requested a partial refund of $300, telling them they could keep the points. I didn't expect that much, but I also didn't find it to be an unreasonable request since I pointed out that I purchased the upgrade based on their own advertising that I would be seated in an Envoy suite given that my trip was in early December.

Not long after I made the complaint, the web site was updated to show the new date of January 2011 for full conversion. I doubt my letter alone was what prompted the change since many of us here have been pointing out that glaring mistake for some time now (and we know "they" read this forum).

Today I received an email back from Customer Relations offering me a $150 E-TUV voucher, which can only be redeemed by phone or at a ticketing location. Not great, but I'm satisfied overall. I have a few trips lined up that I haven't yet booked, so this will come in handy.

My questions:

1.) Has there been any indication as to when/if these can be redeemed online?
2.) Can it be used on a US codeshare flown by UA or another *A carrier?
3.) Will there be a booking fee if I redeem by phone or at an airport?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
I think that the offer that US made to you was very generous! I would never have thought to complain about not getting the new Envoy seats, but I do understand your position on this. If you paid for and thought you were getting a certain quality of service and did not receive it, then you certainly had the right to complain.

As far as a TUV goes the ticketing must take place over the phone within a year of issue. They cannot be redeemed online. When you use your TUV towards a flight, your original Confirmation Code will become the CC for your new trip.

According to the T&C's:

*May be used toward the price of one ticket/one fare on US Airways, US Airways Shuttle, and US Airways Express, as well as their codeshare partners.
*Call US Airways Reservations if you have any questions about the use of this voucher and/or to make your reservations. Inform them you will be using this Electronic Transportation Voucher.

I have never had any problem redeeming a TUV and no, they do not charge anything for ticketing over the phone.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:56 pm

I've actually found that the ticket price is usually a few dollars less over the phone without the booking fee anyway. Maybe it is a tax calculation issue (I typically depart from Canada), but depending on the itinerary, I've saved upwards of $20-30 in addition to the value of the E-TUV.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
I used one of these a couple of months ago, found my flights online, called to make the reservation and was not charged a booking fee (though I wouldn't be surprised if a random agent would try anyway).
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:51 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by johndeere19
I used one of these a couple of months ago, found my flights online, called to make the reservation and was not charged a booking fee (though I wouldn't be surprised if a random agent would try anyway).
I used my E-TUV (non functioning AVOD in Envoy - I was traveling on a paid ticket aka dirty low Corporate Rate) for UA-operated code-share flight. I was not charged any booking fee. Agent was very nice and professional and actually managed to find this E-TUV PNR as Customer Relations quoted wrong E-TUV number in their e-mail response to me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.