Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyway to see flight seating availability prior to purchasing?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2010, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Anyway to see flight seating availability prior to purchasing?

Hi,

I'm looking at a one way ticket from PHX to PIT and the price on the date I'm looking for (Feb 21) is higher than most other days I'm seeing ($215 one way)...

I'm planning on waiting it out a bit, but I figured wouldn't hurt if I can see how full the flight is already... (it's for 4 passengers..)

Anyway to look this up? United is also selling tickets so perhaps on them I can see? or third party sites which let you chose the seat before paying?

Thanks
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:00 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by chebraccia
Hi,

I'm looking at a one way ticket from PHX to PIT and the price on the date I'm looking for (Feb 21) is higher than most other days I'm seeing ($215 one way)...

I'm planning on waiting it out a bit, but I figured wouldn't hurt if I can see how full the flight is already... (it's for 4 passengers..)

Anyway to look this up? United is also selling tickets so perhaps on them I can see? or third party sites which let you chose the seat before paying?

Thanks
Not a totally accurate method to check the load but have you tried clicking on the seat map? Seatcounter.com will also show farebucket availability but also doesn't give the full picture of the total load.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: US Silver, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by cheepneezy
Not a totally accurate method to check the load but have you tried clicking on the seat map? Seatcounter.com will also show farebucket availability but also doesn't give the full picture of the total load.
I would be weary of using this method, because US blocks certain seats-exit rows, bulkheads, other random, obscure seats usually used for crew rests, and then there are preferred only and choice seats...

Usually, the easiest method is to search the flight on kayak.com, and it will tell you the number of seats left for the same fare. If you want to know the fare bucket information, you can use flightstats.com (you will have to create an account, but it is free), look at their flight availability tool for your travel date, and you can mouse over the seats left to see the info. (Sorry, but I don't know how to read the fare bucket info, I only know how to find it)
Old Dec 26, 2010, 4:56 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by usAir
I would be weary of using this method, because US blocks certain seats-exit rows, bulkheads, other random, obscure seats usually used for crew rests, and then there are preferred only and choice seats...
Thus my "not a totally accurate method" disclaimer.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:09 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by chebraccia
Hi,
When you search by schedule on usairways.com, on the list of flights (which also shows prices) there is a "SEATS" button. That will show you what's assigned/available at that moment if you were to buy a ticket. For 2/21 PHX-PIT, I see a lot of $204 one way fares, with plentiful seating on the 2 nonstop options (including exit rows that you can get if you're preferred).
Old Dec 26, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: None
Flight 632 has 6F and 96Y seats open, while flt 634 has 6F and 82Y open.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.