Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US emergency landing after dog bites

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
This is more or less a rehash of the original article but does reiterate that, at least according to the US spokesperson, the pax let the dog out of the carrier: http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl...burgh/19748008
Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:13 pm
Suspended

IMO here is what the US policy should be on pets.

US Airways does not permit pets in the cabin or in the baggage compartment. The exception being service animals such as seeing eye dogs.

Or failing the above this one.

US Airways will transport pets in approved carriers in cabin and in the baggage compartment as follows.

$995.00 each way continental United States
$1,495.00 each way Carribean, Canada, Mexico, South America
$1,995.00 each way to Europe including Tel Aviv.

If the the precious little Cocker (spaniel) wants to go with Mommy & Daddy, then Mommy & Daddy can pony up that kind of dough that discourages stupidity.

It's bad enough we have DYKWIA actors failing to follow F/A instructions and now we have to be assaulted by someones darling like freaking pound and a half yip yap that should be named Shark Bait.

To bad the F/a couldn't have just opened the door and threw the little POS out the door and saved everyone a whole lot of time.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:22 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by Sparrow_Hawk
IMO here is what the US policy should be on pets.

US Airways does not permit pets in the cabin or in the baggage compartment. The exception being service animals such as seeing eye dogs.

Or failing the above this one.

US Airways will transport pets in approved carriers in cabin and in the baggage compartment as follows.

$995.00 each way continental United States
$1,495.00 each way Carribean, Canada, Mexico, South America
$1,995.00 each way to Europe including Tel Aviv.

If the the precious little Cocker (spaniel) wants to go with Mommy & Daddy, then Mommy & Daddy can pony up that kind of dough that discourages stupidity.

It's bad enough we have DYKWIA actors failing to follow F/A instructions and now we have to be assaulted by someones darling like freaking pound and a half yip yap that should be named Shark Bait.

To bad the F/a couldn't have just opened the door and threw the little POS out the door and saved everyone a whole lot of time.
I agree with the whole thing!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Originally Posted by 757lover
Hopefully the dog doesn't suffer the consequences of its owner's bad judgement. If the dog bit 2 people and doesn't have it's proof of rabies vaccinations, it will probably be quarantined, right? Hopefully the owner made sure the dog is up to date on the shots and had the proper documentation from the vet to fly.
If there is no proof of rabies shots, they may have to kill the dog and do histological exams on its brain.

What a way to make the dog comfortable.

I wish we could convince people that their dogs are NOT children, should NOT be brought to restaurants and cafes, and should NOT be taken on airplane trips.

I really like dogs, and they should not be put in unnatural, stressful situations because the owners have neuroses or attachment disorders.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doc Savage

I really like dogs, and they should not be put in unnatural, stressful situations because the owners have neuroses or attachment disorders.
I do too! The problem really is that dogs have humans who I think often possess less intelligance then they're given credit for.

Think about it!! The pet is merely the reflection of the human
Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: US CP, DL SM, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat
I was on a flight a few months ago where 2 pax through a fit because some lady brought her small poodle on the plane and even took it out before other pax were seated.

I over heard one complaining how he had allergies and another woman said she needs to keep it in the carrier.

Only way IMO is to ask other pax around if they have allergies, I know I would be pissed if I had to spend 5 hours next to something that was causing me to be uncomfortable.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by bossku69
I was on a flight a few months ago where 2 pax through a fit because some lady brought her small poodle on the plane and even took it out before other pax were seated.

I over heard one complaining how he had allergies and another woman said she needs to keep it in the carrier.

Only way IMO is to ask other pax around if they have allergies, I know I would be pissed if I had to spend 5 hours next to something that was causing me to be uncomfortable.
The animal has got to stay in its carrier. if it's in its carrier and the carrier is stowed on the floor, then it shouldn't bother anyone's allergies any more than someone who has left their dog/cat at home will bother their neighbor due to the pet hair and dander on their clothing.

What it comes down to is many people are inconsiderate and don't think the rules apply to them.

I do agree with raising the fees on cabin pets to weed out those who think a pet is a fashion accessory. A dog is not a purse. I wouldn't make it as cost prohibitive as $1k or more, because there are legitimate times when a pet has to travel, such as owners being relocated. Someone should at least have the option of a 5-hour flight instead of a 4-day drive. But they must follow the rules and keep the pet in the approved pet carrier.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:17 pm
Suspended

The animal has got to stay in its carrier. if it's in its carrier and the carrier is stowed on the floor, then it shouldn't bother anyone's allergies any more than someone who has left their dog/cat at home will bother their neighbor due to the pet hair and dander on their clothing.
Yeah like that ever happens! Oh he's so cute can I see him? Oh what kind of dog is he? Oh here let me show you beautiful his coat is. Blah blah, blah blah Ginger

What it comes down to is many people are inconsiderate and don't think the rules apply to them.
Many people? how about every pet owner in the free world that flys? I'll never forget that rotting, stinking 12 year old basset hound coming out of LAX on the red eye. Nice enough dog, well mannered but the poor old b*st*rd smelled like he was already dead. Poor old thing smelled so bad you could smeall him ourside the gate area. He was in like row 21 and I could smell him in 3C. We had two open seats and everyone is trying to be reseated away from the dog and the woman who owned the dog is of course oblivious.

I do agree with raising the fees on cabin pets to weed out those who think a pet is a fashion accessory. A dog is not a purse. I wouldn't make it as cost prohibitive as $1k or more, because there are legitimate times when a pet has to travel, such as owners being relocated. Someone should at least have the option of a 5-hour flight instead of a 4-day drive. But they must follow the rules and keep the pet in the approved pet carrier
As an FYI there are companies that will ship your precious pet for a relatively cheap fee. No need to carry Kitty Puss or Tinker Belle in the cabin
Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:24 pm

The abuse of these lax policies won't stop until people are held accountable. The latest articles about this incident have said that no one will be facing any charges. Well sorry, harsh as it may seem, I think charges should be pressed for causing a diversion that didn't have to happen. Medical emergencies? Fine, usually not preventable. Disruptive passenger or animal? That individual should be paying some hefty fines. It is extremely expensive for an airline to divert, not to mention an inconvenience to all other passengers on the flight.
I hope the people that were bitten press charges against the owner and, at the very minimum, recoup any medical costs. Until things like that start happening, people are going to continue doing whatever they want because they KNOW THEY CAN!
Vent over...
Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Someone should at least have the option of a 5-hour flight instead of a 4-day drive.
and what about those pets that are above the carry-on size restriction? what option do they have? 4-day drive. make them all do it, regardless of size.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:52 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by 757lover
The abuse of these lax policies won't stop until people are held accountable....
Concur. Although the vast majority of in-cabin pets do not cause any problems, the humans that allow incidents like this to occur with their pets really ought to face some consequences.

I go along with the sentiment that it is ok to have pets in the cabin and would really hate to see the "a few rotten apples..." effect.

Originally Posted by mrredskin
and what about those pets that are above the carry-on size restriction? what option do they have?
Many years ago, my 120-lb Rottweiler made the trip from MDW-SFO in the belly of an ATA 757. He made it through just fine but at the time, I would've been willing to buy him a seat next to me in the cabin....and despite his size, he really was very sweet and well behaved (just don't piss him off).
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:04 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
and what about those pets that are above the carry-on size restriction? what option do they have? 4-day drive. make them all do it, regardless of size.
Everyone has options

www.petairways.com

Fed Ex and UPS also take large animals including elephants...
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Sparrow_Hawk
Yeah like that ever happens! Oh he's so cute can I see him? Oh what kind of dog is he? Oh here let me show you beautiful his coat is. Blah blah, blah blah Ginger
Only an irresponsible person would open the pet carrier for a stranger. Most pet owners are smarter and more responsible than that. I *know* that if my dog bites anyone, I'm liable and sue-able. It's not like having a pet immediately makes you vulnerable to peer pressure; you as the owner are the one who controls the situation and you have to take that seriously. However, just because you see irresponsible people doing that doesn't mean NOBODY is grown-up enough to fly with a pet. Most times when I see a pet on a plane, the pet is in their carrier and stays there for the duration. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw a pet come out of the carrier during a flight.

Originally Posted by jrpaguia
Concur. Although the vast majority of in-cabin pets do not cause any problems, the humans that allow incidents like this to occur with their pets really ought to face some consequences.

I go along with the sentiment that it is ok to have pets in the cabin and would really hate to see the "a few rotten apples..." effect.

Many years ago, my 120-lb Rottweiler made the trip from MDW-SFO in the belly of an ATA 757. He made it through just fine but at the time, I would've been willing to buy him a seat next to me in the cabin....and despite his size, he really was very sweet and well behaved (just don't piss him off).
+1 on all counts.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by bossku69
I know I would be pissed if I had to spend 5 hours next to something that was causing me to be uncomfortable.
I do this routinely, occassionally with a "something" that is booked on my same PNR.

A non-barking crated dog/cat is far less annoying than a smelly or talkative neighbor or screaming infant, and I've certainly tolerated plenty of the latter.

No excuses for letting the pet out of the carrier. I get so irritated when I see people doing this. If Fluffy can't stay in the crate for the flight s/he shouldn't travel. I get even more annoyed when occassionally the FA participates in the cooing of Fluffy while Fluffy sits on mom's lap during boarding (though I've seen instances where this is more of a "testing the waters/surivival" technique on the FA's part).

US should sue the PAX in question for the cost of landing the plane in PIT.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: None
and what about those pets that are above the carry-on size restriction?
The owner buys a ticket on another carrier that does take animals in the cargo bins.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.