FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   US Airways warm passenger cabins (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1151642-us-airways-warm-passenger-cabins.html)

bwiadca Nov 28, 2010 8:54 am

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 15317551)
what does that have to do with the cabin being hot or cold? being "cold" doesn't cause colds, either.

But cold enviroment speeds up coughing.

bkafrick Nov 28, 2010 9:31 am

FWIW, most bacteria thrive in warm environments.

Bacteria thrive in environments anywhere between 40F and 140F... I think keeping the cabin below 40 or above 140 might be a tad bit cold/warm for our tastes :D:D

dcpatti Nov 28, 2010 9:36 am

for those complaining about not having access to layers... bring a jacket! it doesn't count as a carry on...

then more PAX than ever will bring a coat and shove it in the overhead bin. :td: stowing coats in bins so as to not consume space that could otherwise hold a bag is a courtesy that's lost on many passengers.

bkafrick Nov 28, 2010 10:09 am

While there's no blankets available for free, isnt there a lovely Power Nap Sack that is available for purchase? It includes a "cozy fleece blanket".

mrredskin Nov 28, 2010 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by dcpatti (Post 15318139)
then more PAX than ever will bring a coat and shove it in the overhead bin. :td: stowing coats in bins so as to not consume space that could otherwise hold a bag is a courtesy that's lost on many passengers.

ok, so how do the airlines account for all this extra space being taken up during winter months? i would think (especially in the northeast and midwest) most everyone on the plane would have a heavy jacket and the majority not wearing it during flight.

mrredskin Nov 28, 2010 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca (Post 15317633)
But cold enviroment speeds up coughing.

and being too warm can cause sweating, body overheating, and being more nauseous.

Evan! Nov 28, 2010 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by richinaz (Post 15255743)
Ditto. You can always add layers, there are limits to what you can remove.

Not according to this woman... ;)

Woman Strips Naked On JFK-Bound Flight

dcpatti Nov 28, 2010 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 15322617)
ok, so how do the airlines account for all this extra space being taken up during winter months? i would think (especially in the northeast and midwest) most everyone on the plane would have a heavy jacket and the majority not wearing it during flight.

Actually they don't deal with it, or at least not well. I've observed many times that they run out of bin space a lot earlier in the boarding process during the winter than the summer. The FA's will often "police" the bins but as we all know, often doesn't mean always.

bwiadca Nov 29, 2010 3:29 am

One more example. Would you rather ride a bike in the winter when is cold or in the summer when is warm?

mrredskin Nov 29, 2010 5:53 am

Originally Posted by bwiadca (Post 15327595)
One more example. Would you rather ride a bike in the winter when is cold or in the summer when is warm?

you're comparing riding a bike to riding in an airplane, now?

dcpatti Nov 29, 2010 6:39 am

I'm really surprised this has turned into a 4-going-on-5-page thread. What do people do when they go to a restaurant, movie, train ride, theatre, nightclub, shopping mall, or any other public place and the temperature isn't to their liking? If it's somewhere that they can add/remove a layer, they do; if its somewhere that they can't, they ask to have the temperature adjusted; if neither is possible, they deal with it till they get done, and remember for next time. It really shouldn't be any harder than that just because it's an airplane.

jtb226 Nov 29, 2010 6:41 am

Originally Posted by bwiadca (Post 15327595)

How does that have any relevance to being in the controlled atmosphere of a plane?

Originally Posted by dcpatti (Post 15329141)
I'm really surprised this has turned into a 4-going-on-5-page thread. What do people do when they go to a restaurant, movie, train ride, theatre, nightclub, shopping mall, or any other public place and the temperature isn't to their lighting? If it's somewhere that they can add/remove a layer, they do; if its somewhere that they can't, they ask to have the temperature adjusted; if neither is possible, they deal with it till they get done, and remember for next time. It really shouldn't be any harder than that just because it's an airplane.

+1

bwiadca Nov 29, 2010 6:44 am

Originally Posted by jtb226 (Post 15329158)
How does that have any relevance to being in the controlled atmosphere of a plane?

Just to give an example that its easier to deal with warmer weather than with the cold.

I'm done on this subject. Pace out peeps :)

wendyg Nov 29, 2010 10:45 am

Originally Posted by dcpatti (Post 15329141)
I'm really surprised this has turned into a 4-going-on-5-page thread. What do people do when they go to a restaurant, movie, train ride, theatre, nightclub, shopping mall, or any other public place and the temperature isn't to their liking? If it's somewhere that they can add/remove a layer, they do; if its somewhere that they can't, they ask to have the temperature adjusted; if neither is possible, they deal with it till they get done, and remember for next time. It really shouldn't be any harder than that just because it's an airplane.

The difference being that you can *leave* most odf the other options you're talking about. On a train, you can try the next car; any of the others you can go home. On an airplane, you're trapped until the damn thing lands.

wg

dcpatti Nov 29, 2010 11:44 am

If you've paid $50-100 or more per ticket to see a Broadway play or a concert, you're not going to leave because it's too warm or too chilly for you. You'll more likely fan yourself with your magazine/program/menu to cool down, or put your hands in your pockets to warm them up. People are pretty resiliant! So yes you do have the "option" to leave these events, which you don't have on a plane, but I don't think most people choose that option. They choose instead to try to enjoy the event despite the temperature not being perfect for them.