FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   US Airways warm passenger cabins (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1151642-us-airways-warm-passenger-cabins.html)

sts603 Nov 23, 2010 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca (Post 15260520)
It never get "that" hot inside of the airplane. Come on.

Did you grow up in a really hot climate (e.g. India, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, etc.) because I can't imagine a CP doesn't encounter sweltering conditions on an airplane at least a half dozen times a year?

bwiadca Nov 23, 2010 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by cwe84 (Post 15260514)
Some of you wouldn't like flying with me then. It stays at 65 the whole way...

Perfec example on how airline really cares about passengers. Yeap, 65 the whole way. My way or the highway...

bwiadca Nov 23, 2010 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by sts603 (Post 15260556)
Did you grow up in a really hot climate (e.g. India, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, etc.) because I can't imagine a CP doesn't encounter sweltering conditions on an airplane at least a half dozen times a year?

Nope, I grew up in Eastern Europe where you have only two seasons. Winter and spring :)

cwe84 Nov 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca (Post 15260586)
Perfec example on how airline really cares about passengers. Yeap, 65 the whole way. My way or the highway...

I didn't say it was my way or the highway. Have you been on an Ejet? It has two settings 65 and OMG its hot. Besides cooler cabins means less vomit.

bwiadca Nov 23, 2010 6:33 pm

My shortest flight ever was on USX Chautauqua aka Republic E-Jet. CLT-GSP.
12 minutes from wheels up to wheels down.

cwe84 Nov 23, 2010 6:42 pm

Yep even the E145's have that problem. Brazilians must only have 2 settings...

sts603 Nov 23, 2010 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca (Post 15260607)
Nope, I grew up in Eastern Europe where you have only two seasons. Winter and spring :)

I stand corrected. Seriously though, I think you need to consider that your equilibrium is different from most people's. And in my opinion you can always layer. You can only do but so much when you are hot. And a cold drink doesn't help the sweat accumulating on my neck line.

Not to mention, heat kills productivity. I often like to work, or even just do some serious pleasure reading on planes.

sts603 Nov 23, 2010 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca (Post 15260586)

I think a poll would show the majority of FTers would love a 65 degree cabin policy airline-wide.

mrredskin Nov 24, 2010 5:59 am

Originally Posted by sts603 (Post 15261539)
I think a poll would show the majority of FTers would love a 65 degree cabin policy airline-wide.

absolutely.

bwiadca Nov 24, 2010 6:00 am

Lets do the poll then :)

geo1005 Nov 24, 2010 7:46 am

Originally Posted by bwiadca (Post 15266303)
Lets do the poll then :)

I can see the thread now: "What kind of compensation am I due for a 66 degree cabin?"

Where's the AZ Attorney General's contact info when you need it!?!? ;)

:D

bkafrick Nov 24, 2010 10:30 am

^^^

wendyg Nov 24, 2010 10:40 am

Not me.

wg

aztimm Nov 24, 2010 10:53 am

I'll have to see if I can find it, but shortly after I joined Flyertalk, I remember a discussion here on the US forum about the aircraft climate on night flights. Someone said that the FA's would adjust the settings to, "tropical." That thread got into all of the peculiarities of red eye flights too.

Personally, I'd prefer to be a little cool when I fly. I don't mind sitting next to a cold exit door. I rarely have the need for a blanket. Most of the time, I workout somehow during the day, and cooler temps allow me to relax much easier.

TravellinHusker Nov 24, 2010 10:57 am

Originally Posted by jtb226 (Post 15251266)
I'm just the opposite. I would much rather be cold. By your logic, when you're cold, you can put on a sweater or have something hot to drink. Also, when it gets hot on the plane, people (like me) start to sweat and the air gets stale in a hurry. I'd much rather have a little chill in the air than have to smell 100+ sweating, stinky people huddled together in a flying tube.

Exactl HEAR HEAR! 100% agree. I get so fed up with airlines keeping the cabins so warm. I just sit there suffering horribly. I am not a large person nor am I sick or have any diseases. But I simply cannot tolerate the hot temperatures. I can only take off so many clothes ya know. While those of you that are cold can certainly add a sweater or drink a hot coffee or tea. Drinking something cold smply doesn't reduce my body temperature any.

On long-haul flights, many airlines assume that the temperature should be warm to make passengers sleep more. I read a study from a sleep clinic at the University of Oregon that found that the perfect ambient temperature for sleeping was 16 degrees celsius or about 61 degrees Fahrenheit. Despite what we think happens, our body temperatures actually rise during sleep therefore many people use an arm or a foot/leg that sticks out from the covers as a sort of temperature gauge/releaser. Room temperatures above 18 degrees celsius or about 65 degrees is when sleep is disturbed and the length of sleep and depth of sleep is not as good. So, I printed an extra copy of this study and put it in my briefcase. When I am on a long-haul and it is just too warm, I hand it to the purser. Every time without fail, they turn down the temp and it's a comfy sleep for all. I wish it was online, but I haven't been able to find it.