FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   US Airways warm passenger cabins (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1151642-us-airways-warm-passenger-cabins.html)

JackStraw2010 Nov 22, 2010 7:06 pm

US Airways warm passenger cabins

I have been flying out of PHL to the west coast and it seems that all of the flights have extremely warm and uncomfortable cabins. I have been sitting close to the front of the cabin where it should be cooler than the back of the plane and it is still very warm. Why are they doing this. The longer the flight the warmer the plane gets due to the passengers body heat. The air out the vents is no longer cool. I know they don't give out blankets anymore but does this mean everyone has to suffer. Even the emergency exit row next to the door isn't cold. These are mostly daytime flights. Obviously the return flights are just as warm. The only place that is cool on the plane are the lavatories. Though I would like to spend the entire 5 hours in there I don't the other passengers who want use the toilets would be too happy.

obscure2k Nov 22, 2010 9:15 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk, JackStraw2010
I am moving your query to the US Forum for discussion.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

dcpatti Nov 22, 2010 9:41 pm

You can always ask the flight attendants to adjust the temperature. They're not trying to torture you. They're probably just accustomed to working in cabin air and no longer even notice it.

aztimm Nov 22, 2010 10:48 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk JackStraw2010!

I second dcpatti's advice, I've found a suggestion to the FA can work wonders. Also, I usually dress in layers, wearing a button-down shirt with a t-shirt under it. If I'm that warm, it is easy to just take off the button-down shirt.

bwiadca Nov 23, 2010 3:46 am

I'd rather be hot than cold. Last weekend I was flying another airline and it was freaking cold. When you are hot you can remove layers and have something cold to drink. When you are cold you are on your own. South American airlines are still providing blankets by request. But even having blanket didn't help that much.

jtb226 Nov 23, 2010 6:20 am

Originally Posted by bwiadca (Post 15250236)
I'd rather be hot than cold. Last weekend I was flying another airline and it was freaking cold. When you are hot you can remove layers and have something cold to drink. When you are cold you are on your own. South American airlines are still providing blankets by request. But even having blanket didn't help that much.

I'm just the opposite. I would much rather be cold. By your logic, when you're cold, you can put on a sweater or have something hot to drink. Also, when it gets hot on the plane, people (like me) start to sweat and the air gets stale in a hurry. I'd much rather have a little chill in the air than have to smell 100+ sweating, stinky people huddled together in a flying tube.

jrpaguia Nov 23, 2010 10:24 am

Originally Posted by jtb226 (Post 15251266)
I'd much rather have a little chill in the air than have to smell 100+ sweating, stinky people huddled together in a flying tube.

I'm in the I'd-rather-be-cold-than-warm camp as well.

However, it is well documented that those of us in Rows 1-3(or 4) never stink. :D

richinaz Nov 23, 2010 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by jtb226 (Post 15251266)
I'm just the opposite. I would much rather be cold. By your logic, when you're cold, you can put on a sweater or have something hot to drink. Also, when it gets hot on the plane, people (like me) start to sweat and the air gets stale in a hurry. I'd much rather have a little chill in the air than have to smell 100+ sweating, stinky people huddled together in a flying tube.

Ditto. You can always add layers, there are limits to what you can remove.

geo1005 Nov 23, 2010 12:04 pm

I've seen passengers ask the FA to adjust the temp and they have been happy to do so.

Also, I would think JackStraw would fly out of Wichita and not PHL. :D

mrredskin Nov 23, 2010 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca (Post 15250236)
When you are hot you can remove layers and have something cold to drink.

what happens when you're down to your last layer?

CPRich Nov 23, 2010 1:36 pm

It's impressive how quickly an aircraft can change temperature inside. Despite all the "stagnant air, bad for your health" claims, the air actually circulates pretty quickly. If you notify the FA, the temp can change 5-10 degrees in a matter of minutes.

Note, though, that others around you will also need to chime in that it's too warm. A single comment probably won't have an influence - I suspect that on a flight that's fine for 90% of the pax, you can find both a few that are too warm and a few that are too cold. I can't blame an FA for not reacting to every individual comment.

wendyg Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 15257090)
It's impressive how quickly an aircraft can change temperature inside. Despite all the "stagnant air, bad for your health" claims, the air actually circulates pretty quickly. If you notify the FA, the temp can change 5-10 degrees in a matter of minutes.

It's true.

But put me in the rather-be-warm-than-cold camp. But this is one of those things like being a morning person or a night person: ne'er the twain shall meet. There's a limit to how many layers you can put on - especially if there are no blankets - and you're more or less forced to sit still, so you can't do the moving around thing to warm up. The one godsend in these situations is warm laptops. :)

wg

cwe84 Nov 23, 2010 5:44 pm

Some of you wouldn't like flying with me then. It stays at 65 the whole way...

bwiadca Nov 23, 2010 5:44 pm

It never get "that" hot inside of the airplane. Come on.
I didn't have jacket or even sweatshirt because I was flying between two South American hot countries. In each place temperature was around 90 degrees. The cabin was about 65 + I was seating in emergency exit row.
I had two blankets. One on my upper body and one on my legs. Had hot tea and I was still cold.
When you fly in warm cabin you can remove layers and be comfortable in the t-shirt. Also you can have cold drink. It will cool you faster than hot drink will warm you up. Also in most airplanes you have personal vent with cold air.
You don't have to smell people around you. When I'm flying with smelly person in my vicinity I put the vent straight on my nose and I'm good to go.

bwiadca Nov 23, 2010 5:48 pm

I just thought about another thing. I was trying to remember how many "hot" flights I had in the past. I can't remember any. But I can remember shivering from cold on many many flights.
Especially one flight comes to mind. Red eye LAX-IAD on UAL B767 in emergency exit row. I was so tired but couldn't sleep entire night. I've asked FAs for hot tea and coffee but that didn't help.