Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Squeezed out on a US flight! What about passenger sizing? (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Squeezed out on a US flight! What about passenger sizing? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver
BadatThis -

There aren't enough thumbs-up smileys in the world for someone who stands up for themself the way you did. Not only was the customer poaching your space, but basically telling you to go to h@ll in the process.

I applaud you and also the crewmember for your actions.
Agreed. BadatThis, you should change your screen name to GoodatThis.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:05 am

I'm bigger passenger and can someone explain why if I buy 2 seats at equal fair I'm not able to collect miles for both seats?

Why I must pay taxes and landing fees twice? Why it's ok to charge 30$ for a few inches more leg room but 2 inches equals 100% double fare?

Why is it right that aircraft have different sized seats on each segment? Should a seat be standardized? If the majority of seats in airport gate area are 23" then why is 17" on the aircraft ok?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by mister880
I'm bigger passenger and can someone explain why if I buy 2 seats at equal fair I'm not able to collect miles for both seats?
Very good question. For example, in the past when I've taken cheap flights I would have loved to buy another seat to collect the extra miles, too.

Why I must pay taxes and landing fees twice? Why it's ok to charge 30$ for a few inches more leg room but 2 inches equals 100% double fare?
When you take an extra seat, you are taking a seat that the airline could sell to someone else. So it makes sense to have to pay the full fare for that second seat. If not, many people would gladly pay an extra $30 to, say, buy the middle seat next to the window seat in which they choose to sit. I'd pay that to have an empty seat next to me even though I don't need that extra seat!

Why is it right that aircraft have different sized seats on each segment? Should a seat be standardized? If the majority of seats in airport gate area are 23" then why is 17" on the aircraft ok?
As we know all too well, airlines try to pack as many seats as possible into each plane while maintaining a safe overall weight in order to maximize revenue.

Will seats get even smaller? Ironically, it's quite possible that the coach seats on planes are not going to get any smaller because the the average person keeps getting larger. In other words, perhaps airlines can't fit any more pax into the planes due to weight allowances.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope. You should be able to collect double miles if you buy two seats.

Why I must pay taxes and landing fees twice?
Because you bought two seats.

Why it's ok to charge 30$ for a few inches more leg room but 2 inches equals 100% double fare?
Because the two inches aren't yours, but the person who you are seated next to.

Why is it right that aircraft have different sized seats on each segment?
First of all, the don't -- most mainline aircraft seats are standard width. Regardless, it's a function of the plane. I don't like commuters for reasons that have nothing to do with seat size, so I avoid them.

Should a seat be standardized?
No. Why should they?

If the majority of seats in airport gate area are 23" then why is 17" on the aircraft ok?
Because that's what fits on the plane, and also what can accommodate the overwhelming majority of passengers.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for sharing how you dealt w/ difficult situation

Originally Posted by badatthis
I know I may be touching on comments that others have said, and I am by no means attempting to talk down about the COS.

So he then tried to pull out his Plat Perf card and have the flight attendant force me to put up the armrest. I countered with CP, so all of the sudden any amount of perf service was the same cause he didnt think I could have been in a higher class than him.

...Since you clearly cannot fit in your seat, I am going to have to ask you to de-plane and I will have the gate agent rebook you on a later flight. He tried to refuse and she informed him she was going to ask the capt to get a police officer since he was causing an interuption of service. He de-planed to the sound of clapping from a few people around me.

So I have told this long story not because I want to make some rude comments but because I feel it shows the need for a policy.

Anyway, I hope sharing my store helps others to understand why this needs to be addressed in some way. What if I had been someone who would not stand up for himself, or the Flight attendant had been pressured into trying to force me to share my seat?

-BadatThis
Congrats on handling a difficult situation. I doubt I'd have been as forceful, or resourceful, as you were.

A concern is someone thinking they have special rights because of elite status - the offender showing his platinum card. I think w/ the FA you had the result would have been the same had you had no status, but that might not always be the case.

Other similar threads on FT have talked about this problem. When they are the 2nd to arrive, the best thing is to not sit down and ask to be reseated or for an IDB. (stand up for your rights by not sitting down!).

United's policy seems a pretty good approach - from UA's www site:

Passengers requiring extra space
For the comfort and well-being of all customers aboard United flights, we have aligned with other major airlines' seating policies relating to passengers who:

are unable to fit into a single seat in the ticketed cabin;
are unable to properly buckle the seatbelt using a single seatbelt extender; and/or
are unable to put the seat's armrests down when seated.

If unused seats are available on the ticketed United or United Express flight, then a customer meeting any of the above criteria will be reaccommodated next to an empty seat.

If no unused seats are available on the ticketed flight, then the customer must either purchase an upgrade to a cabin with available seats that address the above-listed scenarios, or change his or her ticket to the next available flight and purchase a second seat in addition to the one already purchased.

Sadly, it's usually left up to the customer to enforce this policy against a person of size. It's good that you posted your experience, which will help others prepare for this eventuality.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
heh, i should travel with a cane
Old Oct 15, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Add Air Tran to the List

http://www.thefloridanewsjournal.com...buy-2nd-ticket
Old Oct 15, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
heh, i should travel with a cane
Yeah, and the other passenger sounds like he should travel with a crane!
Old Oct 15, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: US
badatthis great way to handle your problem. You were much more diplomatic than I was a couple of weeks ago. My wife and I were flying on a flight from Charlotte to Chicago that we were not able to make because the originating flight was late.

We were bookd in middle seats on the next flight out. Not the best option but we had to get to Chicago. We joked about which seat each would get and who would sit next to the "fat guy". We both boarded and took seats with no-one else in our rows.

First comes the guy next to me sitting by the window. He must have been 6'2" and 300 lbs. It was workable since he knew he was large and sat close to the wall - a gentleman. The guy in the aisle seat must have weighed 400 lbs.

He was so large he brought his own extra long seat belt extender. My wife was turning red trying to stifle laughter. He immediatly tried to put his carryon in front of my seat and raise the arm rest. No being shy, I told him to move his bag to his seat and I pushed the armrest down and stared at him.

He tried to sit in his seat but just plain wouldn't fit. He squeezed and finally got close enough to the seat where he could buckle the extended belt. For the entire flight I sat on the edge of the seat closest to him making sure he wouldn't "appropriate" the seat I had paid for.

The F/A's were grinning the whole time. Luckily it was a relatively short flight. He never said a world as we left.

If I were a longer flight I would have gotten the F/A involved but it worked out for me.

I do agree that the airlines should follow through on any rules they have established regarding oversived passengers and not rely upon the person sitting next to them to complain.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by fberger
He was so large he brought his own extra long seat belt extender.
Sounds like my guy.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by cwe84
This is one case where the law says "thats not the F/A's job".
I find that extremely hard to believe. Per your other comments on this topic, it appears to be the policy of your airline, not a law.

This sort of thing has made the news many times. I've heard some outrageous claims by the people that were forced to de-plane. Not once have I heard someone say that the F/A's aren't allowed to ask a COS to leave the aircraft.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:54 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I find that extremely hard to believe. Per your other comments on this topic, it appears to be the policy of your airline, not a law.

This sort of thing has made the news many times. I've heard some outrageous claims by the people that were forced to de-plane. Not once have I heard someone say that the F/A's aren't allowed to ask a COS to leave the aircraft.
Policy because of being sued.....
Old Oct 16, 2011, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cwe84
Policy because of being sued.....
No court has ever found against an airline for refusing to seat a COS who couldn't fit in one seat.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:14 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by dtremit
WN's policy is, on paper, one of the best in the industry. However, where WN has had problems in the past is with the implementation of that policy. Some WN agents have been known to require those who need a belt extender to purchase a separate seat without giving them the chance to demonstrate whether they fit between the armrests....

...While these folks misapplying the policy are almost certainly in the minority, it creates an atmosphere of uncertainty that has led me to decline flying WN....
I don't think you understand the SW policy. To be fair (and a bit to your point) I don't think most people do understand.

My "baby" brother and his wife are both COS. He doesn't just "look to be 400 lbs" .. he is.
And, between the 2 of them, they buy 3 seats. I'm not talking about at check-in or being called out at the gate. They buy the extra seat at original ticket purchase.

Research it at the SW website. They give explicit instructions.
Book the extra seat in the same name, except the middle initial which is listed as "XS" (umm, that's "extra seat", not "extra small" )

In the end (not just those COS who are "forced" to buy the seat on day of departure) they get a refund if "push come to shove" (no pun intended) the flight was not full. How many airlines allow you remove a seat from inventory and then allow a refund ??

I wonder how many COS (no, I don't like that term, but we all understand what's being said) don't buy the seat in advance, thinking that if it had been removed from inventory for several days/weeks/months that they'd never get a refund. If all airlines adopted the SW policy, then I'd bet it would be common knowledge and more folks would accept the fact they spill over and buy the extra space in advance.

As it is, SW gets a bad rap for trying to be (and trying to get their COS to be) proactive.
The media is quick to point out when a SW employee gets a little over zealous and/or tackless in the enforcement. The media should do more to educate the public about real SW policy instead of trying to "over-sensationalize", but that's another topic

Steve
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Blocking the egress of others

If one is seated in a middle or window seat, one must rely on the ability of the individual seated on the aisle to quickly remove themselves from their seat in an emergency situation.

A previous poster explains that an aisle seat passenger forcefully wedged himself in to his aisle seat.

More than a little scary, even in the "unlikely event".......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.