Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Squeezed out on a US flight! What about passenger sizing? (merged threads)

Old Aug 10, 10, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Clearly all airlines are trying to maximize revenue by seating the most number of passengers using the smallest possible seats (yes, in coach). I travel every week to Boston MA, from Richmond, VA without too much to comment on. However, last week was particularly spectacular for me. Let me get to the point: I was on a regional jet returning home when my assigned seat was given up to a handicapped person (closer to the front), that was a logical and common sense thing to do. I was re-assigned a few rows back. The passenger seated in the aisle next to me was slow to rise and move to let me in. As I seated myself, I put down the armrest. You guessed it, when that person tried to sit, that did not work...at all. I made a huge mistake in allowing that person to raise the arm rest. I pay for my fair and for my seat and space. I should not have to share it with another passenger! I've sent my complaint along to US Airways and hope they do two things: refund my fair for that segment, introduce a passenger sizing seat or similar maybe near ticketing? If you can sit, you can fly, it's that easy. If you can't, you have to pay for two seats. No personal offense meant to any, just the reality of paid fixed sized seating.
Old Aug 10, 10, 8:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by theodoric1 View Post
I pay for my fair and for my seat and space. I should not have to share it with another passenger!
Did you ask the flight attendant to reseat you?
Old Aug 10, 10, 10:20 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by gpeso8 View Post
You may get a better response to this in the US Airways section of FT.

I'd be curious to see how that works out. The mods on FT are not keen on allowing this type of discussion to go on much because it usually gets ugly...
Old Aug 11, 10, 5:26 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
get in the comments while you can, theo. this thread will be closed soon. i commented on this in the DL forum back in May and it was closed within 30 minutes. Apparently being inconvenienced like this and commenting on it here is frowned upon. and, yes, it's BS to have to give up a portion of your seat for someone because they choose not to exercise or remain even remotely healthy.

wait, this thread has been open since last night? how are you so lucky?!?
Old Aug 11, 10, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Did you ask the flight attendant to reseat you?
Flight was full...I suppose I could have tried though...
Old Aug 11, 10, 5:51 am

I agree on a larger person (width) having to purchase 2 seats. The problem is 1). Who is going to pay double? 2). Will the airline hold back for purchase 1/3 to 1/2 of an aircraft to see if a or all of the passengers need 2 seats? 3). Who is going to admit to having to purchase 2 seats because of size?

This is not only a US Airways problem but a system wide problem. The thing is, where do you stop at segregating people? Passengers with a cough, babies crying, etc
Old Aug 11, 10, 6:10 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Bishope2 View Post
I agree on a larger person (width) having to purchase 2 seats. The problem is 1). Who is going to pay double? 2). Will the airline hold back for purchase 1/3 to 1/2 of an aircraft to see if a or all of the passengers need 2 seats? 3). Who is going to admit to having to purchase 2 seats because of size?

This is not only a US Airways problem but a system wide problem. The thing is, where do you stop at segregating people? Passengers with a cough, babies crying, etc

It seems inconsistent that baggage is charged by weight, yet passengers aren't. The big issue, however, is deciding who is truly obese and who is just a naturally large person (perhaps built like a football player). A person who is naturally large should not have to pay extra, I believe. But it would be very messy to have ground staff make that judgment.
Old Aug 11, 10, 6:35 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I think most of us agree with the concept--- someone who intrudes onto another's space should pay more--- but there's no practical way to implement it. Imagine the fun of boarding if everyone's got to sit in the Test Chair on the way in and be charged additional fees if they don't pass. Imagine the gateside drama! And what about long-legged people whose knees push into your back? Should they pay more too? The same concept of "intruding into my space" and "reducing my comfort" apply, and it's a logical next step for the airlines to take. The seemingly random enforcement of the two-seat rule is annoying, and no passenger should have to be inconvenienced, but I can definitely think of worse ways to implement and enforce a policy.

What I personally find more annoying, though, is the spread-legged men whose thighs and knees definitely protrude even though they're not heavy-set; just a guy who wants to sit with his legs splayed wide apart. It's not classy when you;re not in a plane, and god forbid you do it in shorts, so there's no reason to do it in the close quarters of a plane. I can cut the heavy folks some slack; it can take a while to get fit, and in the mean time, you've got to go on a plane. But the selfish leg-splaying dudes who have no problem making themselves more comfortable by making me less comfortable, well, those are the ones I really can't stand sitting next to.
Old Aug 11, 10, 7:17 am

Canada has laready passed a law saying you cannot make fat people pay more or even for two seats, they must be free. That is coming here for sure. Currently SWA is the only one that really pushes the issue and for the most part it just gets them headaches, bad press and lawsuits. No easly anwser and a nitemare for staff to try and police it.
Old Aug 11, 10, 8:12 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
if it embarasses them so much, maybe it will entice them to lose weight or not fly.

Canada can go to hell with that policy.
Old Aug 11, 10, 9:11 am

Programs: SPG, FPC, US
It seems as if SWA can figure it out: if you can sit in the seat and both armrests can come down and stay down, you pay for one seat. If you cannot sit that way, you pay for two.

I would 100% support this policy on any airline.
Old Aug 11, 10, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tommyleo View Post
It seems inconsistent that baggage is charged by weight, yet passengers aren't. The big issue, however, is deciding who is truly obese and who is just a naturally large person (perhaps built like a football player). A person who is naturally large should not have to pay extra, I believe. But it would be very messy to have ground staff make that judgment.
If you have an airline seat (such as one in coach on a regional jet) right there by the luggage sizer (a passenger sizer!) before security...that would eliminate the need to make a choice on who might fit or not. Nothing personal involved.
Old Aug 11, 10, 10:05 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Another problem is that you have guys that are a lot broader in the shoulder than in the seat. I'm a big guy and a snug fit in the seat, though fit and don't need (and don't want) the arm rest moved up. However, if I sat like most people do my elbows would definitely be out past the armrest. As a result I sit with my arms in front of me, elbows pulled in (either with arms crossed or reading a book, or something like that). However, a good number of the big guys I've sat next to don't do the same and it gets uncomfortable.
Old Aug 11, 10, 10:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sciguy0504 View Post
It seems as if SWA can figure it out: if you can sit in the seat and both armrests can come down and stay down, you pay for one seat. If you cannot sit that way, you pay for two.

I would 100% support this policy on any airline.
I would wholeheartedly support a policy like this being enforced on US.

I had a very similar situation on a 2.5 hour () US CRJ-900 flight just last week.

The man sitting next to me must have been 400 pounds -- maybe more. He was the largest passenger I've ever been seated next to -- and in a seat that is a fraction of the normal Y seat. I could not believe the agent and FA let him pass -- until I remembered that the gate agent was a similar size and the Mesa FA working the front of the plane was literally the largest FA I've ever seen on an airplane.

The armrest was down, but this man's body rolled over the top of it, and his legs were underneath it, consuming nearly half of my seat. I kid you not. I'm not exactly a small person, but do fit within my seat. I could not sit back in the seat. I had to angle myself with my back against the wall and my legs tucked back. It was not possible to make this work for the nearly 3 hours I was going to be stuck in this

Fortunately, there were two open seats and the FA in the back helped to re-seat me when I got up right after takeoff and pointed out my predicament to her.

This simply should not be allowed. If people cannot contain themselves to a single seat, they should take the responsibility to book a second seat. If the boarding agent sees that the person has not done so, they should ask the person to step to the counter to quietly work it out.

But to make another passenger suffer because neither responsible party has fulfilled their responsibility, is just wrong.
Old Aug 11, 10, 10:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Exclamation Moderator Note

Originally Posted by tommyleo View Post
I'd be curious to see how that works out. The mods on FT are not keen on allowing this type of discussion to go on much because it usually gets ugly...
Well, this got moved by another moderator into the US forum -- so here we are.

Let's not let this get ugly. Let's show that, unlike the current political world we live in, we at FT can have a civil discussion about a potentially controversial topic.

(Which also means that those who cannot participate in a civil manner will have posts deleted and be subject to disciplinary action. But please don't make us go there.)

-AZ

Search this Thread