Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Platinum Card and Centurion members! You now have access to all US Airways Clubs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Card and Centurion members! You now have access to all US Airways Clubs.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Shangri-La Diamond
This begs the question... what about if you are flying international Y ex-PHL, would you have access then?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA-LifetimePremierGold, PLT: Bonvoy, IHG, GLD: Enterprise, Budget
Red face LGA USAIR room OK

used the LGA room on Monday, after unfortunate delays in DCA Reagan and LGA. Thanks AX Platinum lounge access !!
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fish114
This begs the question... what about if you are flying international Y ex-PHL, would you have access then?
If you are a US CP (therefore *G), yes.

You have to be flying international to use the Envoy lounge, whether you're gaining access as a premium cabin passenger or with your Star Gold status.

From the US website related to Envoy Club access:

For Envoy and Star Gold passengers with transatlantic travel; or travel to Guadalajara, Mexico City, or San Jose (Costa Rica) only.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Im sure the people who paid for USAir Club memberships are thrilled about it..USAir Clubs are about to get very Crowded..
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:33 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I haven't used the free wifi in the US clubs lately, but if they're like AA then AMEX plat/cent customers won't be able to take advantage of that perk.

AA does not even give day wifi passes. Their wifi access requires that the user be an AAdmirals club member. Will US require the same, or will they give guest wifi passes?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPLT, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Wifi included w/ AMEX

This is what the e-mail from Amex said:

Dear CYNCYN129,

Your Airport Club Access benefit has just expanded to include access to 17 US Airways Clubs across 13 cities. You can access US Airways Clubs regardless of the airline you fly.

Simply present your Platinum Card® from American Express to a club representative along with a government-issued ID. You may also be accompanied by your spouse and children or up to two traveling companions in the airport lounges.

US Airways Clubs are available in the following cities:
Boston
Buffalo
Charlotte
Greensboro
Hartford/Springfield Los Angeles (LAX)
New York (LGA)
Philadelphia*
Phoenix Pittsburgh
Raleigh/Durham
Tampa
Washington, DC (DCA)

Complimentary services available to Card members include wireless internet powered by T-Mobile™ HotSpot™, beer, wine,** non-alcoholic beverages and snacks, newspapers and periodicals, business workstations and more.

You now have access to over 135 lounges from our partners American Airlines Admirals Club®, Continental Airlines Presidents Club®, Delta Sky Club™ and US Airways Club.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
Wifi Access

Was in the DCA club two days ago with the Platinum card. They gave me a card with an access code you have to scratch off on the back. I appreciated it because the Admirals Clubs don't have this perk.

This is good for me as I was considering plunking down the cash for the US Club membership. The announcement made this decision a no-brainer. Anyone know how much the club gets from Amex for each swipe?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 4:52 pm

I must say +1 to AMEX and US, this is a great way to create synergy and promote customer loyalty!

At the same time, this particular detail

Originally Posted by geo1005
Point of Clarification:
Access is to US CLUBS.... not the PHL Envoy Departure Lounge which is not a US Airways Club.
is why I haven't shelled out for a US club membership for the last 3-4 years.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-S, HH-G, MR-P
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
Im sure the people who paid for USAir Club memberships are thrilled about it..USAir Clubs are about to get very Crowded..
+1

As a long-time club member, I have always liked the fact that US clubs were quiet and generally have space to sit/work. While, I am sure this will make $$$$$ for US, it is bound to have a negative impact upon the club atmosphere. I am sure they will now feel like the CO club at EWR where there are literally folks pacing and waiting for you to stand up so that they can sit down. I also bet the Flavia machines and better snacks will go away as they will become too expensive to maintain at increased demand. For a decent service-oriented airline, CO really has a bunch of lousy clubs IMO in terms of what they actually offer. I gather this is because everyone and their brother can gain access through some type of agreement. It would seem that the US club will be moving in this direction.

Maybe the 90 day free memberships were trying to prepare the earth for the fall of us actual paying clubbies. Oh well, since I am also a long time AxP it would only make sense not to renew my US club membership.

Will anyone?

I hope US factored that into their calculations.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
I think assuming the US Clubs will be overcrowded from AMEX Platinum holders is the same as assuming everyone will be CP from the Hop, Skip and Jump promo. Obviously the clubs are going to get some more people but I don't think they will end up being like a zoo just because AMEX holders can now get in.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 3:31 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use the AMEX Plat to get into AA lounges in all their busy hubs (DFW, JFK, LAX, ORD) and never notice any over crowding. I don't see how this would be any different with US Airways clubs.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Agree. I let my club membership lapse some years ago when they stopped allowing use of miles to pay for it but am using them again with the AMEX card now. I will say that the rollout of this has gone well in my experience - in PHL, DCA, GSO, CLT - the only clubs I've used it in so far. No issues with entry, always offered the wireless card, etc. Though you don't need to be flying US to enter this way, they do ask who you're flying.

It's a nice revenue play for US, and I would be really surprised if it caused crowding. I haven't seen crowds out of line with what I'd expect in the clubs since this started.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: UAM+ 1P, HolidayInn Priority Gold, Hyatt Gold Passport, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, ANA silver
US Air Club - Amercian Express

I stopped over at Phoenix and walked over to the US Airway Club. They have a logo showing Star Alliance Gold.
I showed my United Gold card (Premier Executive) - Star Alliance, and was told my Star Alliance is only good for international.

But I was asked do I have a American Express Platinum card? As a matter of fact, I do have an American Express Business Platinum credit card, but did not carry it with me that day. So I can use this card for airport lodges?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat
Yes, they started taking Platinum Amex about a month ago.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:03 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And the funny thing with Star Alliance access to US or UA clubs...you must be either traveling international, or you can be traveling domestic if you are Star Alliance Gold on another non-US carrier (i.e. AC, LH, etc.).

But the new AMEX Platinum benefit is just awesome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.