FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1103160-new-us-promo-hop-skip-jump-higher-level-preferred-status.html)

bluwater Jul 12, 2010 9:03 pm

While everyone is hopping, skipping and jumping, will you also earn miles and segments towards bumps in preferred status?

jsciv Jul 12, 2010 9:16 pm

My understanding is that the hop/skip/jump reward supercedes miles earned, but doesn't cancel or replace them. So if you happen to earn 50K without making 4 H/S/J then you will be Gold until Feb. 2012, but if you manage as a Silver to fly 4 H/S/J then you will be Gold until Feb 2012 regardless of miles (unless you fly 75K or more in calendar 2010).

scubaflyer Jul 12, 2010 9:34 pm

Via Europe or Caribbean maybe?

Originally Posted by scubaflyer (Post 14289138)
I need the wisdom of the FT collective. :confused:

I booked a good single itin from RIC that yields 4 HSJs (RIC-CLT-PVR-PHX-CLT-RIC), getting the US-east, Latin/Mexico, new route (CLT-PVR), and US-west HSJs. But I really want to get 8 HSJs. Most of the other single itin that I see being posted (like the BTR runs and the Shuttle runs) also involve US-east and US-west to get to 4 HSJs in a single RT itin.

Has anyone come up with a itin that yields 4 HSJs without using US-east, US-west, CLT-PVR new route, and Latin/Mexico? I haven't seen one yet (but maybe I missed it going through all of the posting pages). I would love to find a way to get 8 HSJ for around 1k (since my first 4 HSJ are just under 500). I'd be willing to drive up to DCA to make it happen, also.

Anyone feel like sharing? :D I know my guru is out there somewhere.

Anyone found a good way of doing this via Europe or Caribbean?

tovaz Jul 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by scubaflyer (Post 14289420)
Anyone found a good way of doing this via Europe or Caribbean?

I found an itinerary, just not your price point...DCA-LGA-PHL-YHZ-PHL-BDA-CLT-MLB-CLT-DCA (Shuttle, Caribbean and 2 new routes). I didn't price it all the way out, but it looked like $800+. The expensive leg was the DCA-YHZ one, I was surprised to find out that YHZ-BDA was only $133 before taxes.

johndeere19 Jul 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by scubaflyer (Post 14289138)
I need the wisdom of the FT collective. :confused:

I booked a good single itin from RIC that yields 4 HSJs (RIC-CLT-PVR-PHX-CLT-RIC), getting the US-east, Latin/Mexico, new route (CLT-PVR), and US-west HSJs. But I really want to get 8 HSJs. Most of the other single itin that I see being posted (like the BTR runs and the Shuttle runs) also involve US-east and US-west to get to 4 HSJs in a single RT itin.

Has anyone come up with a itin that yields 4 HSJs without using US-east, US-west, CLT-PVR new route, and Latin/Mexico? I haven't seen one yet (but maybe I missed it going through all of the posting pages). I would love to find a way to get 8 HSJ for around 1k (since my first 4 HSJ are just under 500). I'd be willing to drive up to DCA to make it happen, also.

Anyone feel like sharing? :D I know my guru is out there somewhere.

This might be crazy enough to work...DCA-BOS-PBG-YOW(Delta through DTW)-CLT-PHL-YHZ-DCA. Looks like it'd be closer to $1500 with a day layover but play with dates/routing a bit.

liwarren Jul 13, 2010 6:44 am

I'm wondering if with the new routes can you still get the 'jump' if you fly a one way FROM the destination not to the destination?

charlotteimmigration Jul 13, 2010 6:55 am

Im kind of bummed
I will get the required 4 on arrival in Ottawa on Sept 1, and fly back to the US on sept 4.
I am a little upset that I may not get my gold by then as it now takes "7 days" to process and not the original 24 hours....
anyone think I can call and force it through? So I can use the Air Canada lounge on my return

bigoz89 Jul 13, 2010 6:57 am

Ok, so I need a little clarification. Someone just mentioned that your status bump will be based off of your status as of July 7th. As of now I am a nobody but I will earn silver status in 2 weeks, and if I get 4 h/s/j's after I earn my SP status, I will still only be a silver? Is this right? I was hoping to earn my SP status and then use this to get to Gold.

Another question, how can I tell what arriving flights become what departing flights. Basically, does flight 2556 to BTR from CLT, arriving at 10:22am, turn into flight 2555 to CLT from BTR departing at 10:50am? I would imagine it does, just wanted some confirmation. Thanks.

sc flier Jul 13, 2010 7:12 am

Originally Posted by liwarren (Post 14291096)
I'm wondering if with the new routes can you still get the 'jump' if you fly a one way FROM the destination not to the destination?

In other words, you're asking if a "new route" specifically means the order in which they stated it on the promo page. I think that nearly everyone here would agree that it means either direction on the new routes and that a return is not required.

# Take a flight segment to, from or within a region and check it off as a ‘hop’ on your list.
# Take a flight segment booked on US Airways Shuttle and check it off as a ‘skip’ on your list.
# Take a flight segment booked on any of our new routes (listed on the offer page) and check it off as a ‘jump’ on your list.

johndeere19 Jul 13, 2010 7:17 am

Originally Posted by sc flier (Post 14291209)
In other words, you're asking if a "new route" specifically means the order in which they stated it on the promo page. I think that nearly everyone here would agree that it means either direction on the new routes and that a return is not required.

# Take a flight segment to, from or within a region and check it off as a ‘hop’ on your list.
# Take a flight segment booked on US Airways Shuttle and check it off as a ‘skip’ on your list.
# Take a flight segment booked on any of our new routes (listed on the offer page) and check it off as a ‘jump’ on your list.

The FAQs say EITHER direction works.

"We'll look at the origin and destination of each flight segment you take. Once you fly one of our new routes (in either direction) we'll check it off and add it to your total hop, skip and jump count. Like hops and skips, jumps only count once – if you fly multiple times on any one of our new routes it only counts once. However, you can check off multiple jumps by flying on different new routes."

Originally Posted by bigoz89 (Post 14291144)
Ok, so I need a little clarification. Someone just mentioned that your status bump will be based off of your status as of July 7th. As of now I am a nobody but I will earn silver status in 2 weeks, and if I get 4 h/s/j's after I earn my SP status, I will still only be a silver? Is this right? I was hoping to earn my SP status and then use this to get to Gold.

Another question, how can I tell what arriving flights become what departing flights. Basically, does flight 2556 to BTR from CLT, arriving at 10:22am, turn into flight 2555 to CLT from BTR departing at 10:50am? I would imagine it does, just wanted some confirmation. Thanks.

I sent this specific question out to US Airways and they sent it along to a "specialty area" to answer it. I'll update when I find out.

ArizonaGuy Jul 13, 2010 7:25 am

Deleted.

Someone beat me to it. :)

miffSC Jul 13, 2010 8:18 am

Originally Posted by bigoz89 (Post 14291144)

I think you may be right here but will defer to the more knowledgeble - and you can always call the desk to find out. To achieve Silver, you would have to complete some of this task anyway. To achieve Gold might require you to do those additional 4 HSJ's.

I have this same question - the flights to/from MLB do the same thing. Arrive at 1:00 depart at 1:40 same flight number. Is that the same plane? i.e. arrive, deplane, reboard the same plane?

JayRich Jul 13, 2010 8:22 am

Original Routing Question

Since we are in the middle of thunderstorm season here in the East and all of these creative routings, does anyone know or asked whether or not they will count "Hop, Skips or Jumps," for original routings if you have to be rebooked by other routes/airlines to your final destination?

Personally, I shouldn't have a problem, I've booked RIC-PHL-SJU and RIC-CLT-BTR, so the only one that could get screwed up for me is to have problems getting to Baton Rouge, but just curious.

Sabre1 Jul 13, 2010 8:35 am

Originally Posted by JayRich (Post 14291531)
Since we are in the middle of thunderstorm season here in the East and all of these creative routings, does anyone know or asked whether or not they will count "Hop, Skips or Jumps," for original routings if you have to be rebooked by other routes/airlines to your final destination?

Personally, I shouldn't have a problem, I've booked RIC-PHL-SJU and RIC-CLT-BTR, so the only one that could get screwed up for me is to have problems getting to Baton Rouge, but just curious.

One of my major fears is losing a shuttle hop or something due to a weather issue.

I ended up booking a 3 day weekend in NYC and New Orleans to tkae advantage of this for my family. However, to be on the safe side, I booked it as follows:

7/22 BUF-DCA-LGA (East Hop, Shuttle Skip)
7/23 LGA-DCA-CLT-BTR (West Hop, New Route Jump, backup shuttle just in case)
7/25 MSY-CLT-BUF (nada)

charlotteimmigration Jul 13, 2010 9:25 am

im reasonably certain CLT-MLB and CLT-BTR are the same aircraft as those places are ONLY served from CLT
im doing a 40 mins layover at MLB haha