FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1103160-new-us-promo-hop-skip-jump-higher-level-preferred-status.html)

Beckles Jul 12, 2010 7:42 am

Originally Posted by dracs (Post 14277740)
Anything for us poor Midwest folks? Can't go out of the country.:(

LNK,OMA,MCI on weekends. Just looking for 4 hits.

MCI-PBG with a Shuttle segment (which the website gives you with some options when I looked) will get you all four on one itinerary.

Originally Posted by liwarren (Post 14282533)
so am I understanding if I fly mci-clt that gets my west to east, then clt-mbj--that gets me a new route AND a caribbean, then clt-mci gets me east to west=4? Also it says on US metal but what about republic? They are listed in the US flight choices and I like the times better for those mci-clt and back. I'm guessing yes but before I fly to Jamaica in the fall I really want to make sure I do it right. US Vacations seems the cheapest way to go to get me to platinum vs. booking hotel/flights each on their own.

Operated by Republic (or any Express carrier) should be fine, many of the new routes that get bonuses (PBG and BTR for example) are operated by Express carriers.

wrdouglas Jul 12, 2010 7:45 am

More ???'s than answers

OK, so lets say I book the following:

RSW-DCA-LGA

1. Can I do it and get it to count twice i.e. NA East and a Shuttle flight, or would I need to buy 2 tickets . . RSW-DCA and then DCA-LGA for it to count twice?

Thanks,

William

ArizonaGuy Jul 12, 2010 8:05 am

Originally Posted by liwarren (Post 14284022)
The weird thing is that in order to go from PHX-MBJ it connects me in CLT and the best flight is a red eye and gets me into MBJ the next day. Im trying to plan a flight mid-week. Suggestions?

PHX-MBJ isn't daily and it seems it's not on the schedule (or at least not coming up in searches) from late August onward.

Anyone intending to do a same day turn from PHX has to do the redeye to CLT, then to MBJ with a frighteningly short 95 minute connection to MBJ-PHX. If you start with PHX-MBJ non-stop, it forces an overnight as it arrives at about 4pm local time, long after the flights back to CLT have left.

It started out westbound Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun and eastbound on Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon. I don't think that's changed, haven't checked though.

Sabre1 Jul 12, 2010 8:38 am

OK, I'm about to pull the trigger on a NYC/New Orleans wekend.

I'm looking at:
7/22 BUF-LGA (East Hop), overnight in NYC
7/23 LGA-DCA-CLT-BTR (Shuttle, West Hop, New Route Jump)
7/25 MSY-CLT-BUF

My question is, should I book this as 3 1 ways, or all as one, multi-city ticket?

Also, is the Shuttle credit automatic for LGA-DCA as part of the LGA-GCA-CLT-BTR record, or does it have to be ticketed separately (much pricier)?

I'm about to ticket my family of 4 to bump my wife and 1 son up to Gold (primarily for *A International Club access), my other son to Silver, and for myself to keep CP for another year.

All in it's about $486 a ticket, but we're also building some fun time in with NYC and New Orleans.

BTW, my biggest fear is ticketing the LGA-DCA-CLT-BTR and having an OPS or Weather issue forcing a rebooking on something that doesn't use the shuttle and thereby losing a point. Anyone else fear this?

alanh Jul 12, 2010 9:04 am

PHX to MBJ (US 1619) operates Sat/Sun/Mon through 8/16; MBJ to PHX (US 1620) operates Fri/Sat/Sun through 8/15.

I'm doing PHX-CLT-MBJ Friday 7/23 and returning MBJ-PHX on Sunday 7/25 with an overnight in Montego Bay.

You can force connections by booking one-ways, but you're on your own if you miss the connection. This is unlikely if it's a single flight that turns around. I wonder if an overeager gate agent might offload you and replace you with a standby if you're not at the gate at the original departure time. Unlikely, but I don't know if you can rule it out.

Dreamworks Jul 12, 2010 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Sabre1 (Post 14284758)
OK, I'm about to pull the trigger on a NYC/New Orleans wekend.

I'm looking at:
7/22 BUF-LGA (East Hop), overnight in NYC
7/23 LGA-DCA-CLT-BTR (Shuttle, West Hop, New Route Jump)
7/25 MSY-CLT-BUF

My question is, should I book this as 3 1 ways, or all as one, multi-city ticket?

Also, is the Shuttle credit automatic for LGA-DCA as part of the LGA-GCA-CLT-BTR record, or does it have to be ticketed separately (much pricier)?

I'm about to ticket my family of 4 to bump my wife and 1 son up to Gold (primarily for *A International Club access), my other son to Silver, and for myself to keep CP for another year.

All in it's about $486 a ticket, but we're also building some fun time in with NYC and New Orleans.

BTW, my biggest fear is ticketing the LGA-DCA-CLT-BTR and having an OPS or Weather issue forcing a rebooking on something that doesn't use the shuttle and thereby losing a point. Anyone else fear this?

I'm looking at something like this from DCA, but where do you see the West Hop? I think these are all on the East side.

Flying Gator Jul 12, 2010 9:33 am

Does anybody know if I can make it from terminal C at BOS to terminal B in 54 minutes?

Depends on the time of day, TSA and luck. Unless there is another flight an hour or two later you might get stuck there for a while. Logan has a nice club. No alcohol though.

sc flier Jul 12, 2010 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Dreamworks (Post 14285006)
I'm looking at something like this from DCA, but where do you see the West Hop? I think these are all on the East side.

As discussed early in this thread, BTR is West.

Dreamworks Jul 12, 2010 9:34 am

DCA-BTR Run

So I priced out DCA-LGA, LGA-CLT-BTR, BTR-CLT-DCA all in one day for around $460 on sidestep. My question, FT gurus is how many hops does this get? I think it's three. The shuttle up, the East Flight to CLT and then the flt to BTR. Do I credit for the return at all? Should I book it so I go DCA-LGA-DCA-CLT and try and get credit for the return shuttle flight?

Sorry, just noticed the West thing. Apologies. That would give me 4 with the orignial itinerary.

Alphaguy Jul 12, 2010 9:45 am

Originally Posted by TeleP (Post 14284300)
One of the most discussed routes BOS-CLT-BTR-CLT-DCA-BOS has 47 min connection in CLT and 30 min connection in DCA (on Saturday). Should I worry about it?

If its later in the day, thunderstorms could do you in...

The morning is usually better... just a person who has seen CLT at 6pm awaiting his soon to be canceled SFO!

dracs Jul 12, 2010 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Dreamworks (Post 14285032)
So I priced out DCA-LGA, LGA-CLT-BTR, BTR-CLT-DCA all in one day for around $460 on sidestep. My question, FT gurus is how many hops does this get? I think it's three. The shuttle up, the East Flight to CLT and then the flt to BTR. Do I credit for the return at all? Should I book it so I go DCA-LGA-DCA-CLT and try and get credit for the return shuttle flight?

Sorry, just noticed the West thing. Apologies. That would give me 4 with the orignial itinerary.

Shuttle, East,West,New Route. Nothing for return route. But as somebody mentioned before, DCA comes cheaper with rt option.

Dracs

dracs Jul 12, 2010 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 14284464)
MCI-PBG with a Shuttle segment (which the website gives you with some options when I looked) will get you all four on one itinerary.
Operated by Republic (or any Express carrier) should be fine, many of the new routes that get bonuses (PBG and BTR for example) are operated by Express carriers.

Thanks Beckles for the reply,

I tried this route but it is coming out a bit expensive. But I think figured out a better route but I am not taking it since I have to keep my sis(east coast) in loop.

My route would have required night stay at btr or mlb.(NOT SURE RIGHT NOW WHICH ONE). Would have used AA 10% off coupon( Century in making)

Rough sketch of previous route.

MCI-SY/BTR,BTR-MLB, MCO/MLB-MCI/OMA.

Thanks,
Dracs

ramblers63 Jul 12, 2010 10:07 am

Do flights from the US to PVR qualify for normal preferred upgrades? If so, I assume that will be a tough upgrade on weekends until October ;)

GoodOmens Jul 12, 2010 10:10 am

Originally Posted by tegwj (Post 14278301)
What dates did you find for those prices? I booked DCA-CLT-BTR-CLT-LGA-DCA but the total w/taxes &c came to ~$420 or so, I checked BOS connections but they all came up another $200 higher due to the final shuttle leg being expensive.

I checked through most of August; after labor day the fares all went much higher.

twj

They are mid week - Monday, Tuesday and Wednesdays. I found one Friday if you do DCA-BOS on the outbound and one Sunday if you do DCA-LGA. You have to price through orbitz / expedia etc.

flyzabit Jul 12, 2010 10:18 am

My 3 LGA-DCA (could have been BOS)-CLT-BTR flights from this weekend have posted, but the status has not yet changed. What is the expected lag time in status update for H/S/J?

Question - Do you need to go through security if you change B to C in BOS?

Also, FYI - $173 LGA-BTR same routes 7/31 and similar.

BTW, see my comments and advice on BTR overnight at post #245 on p.17.