Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic Ash Closes UK and other Northern European Airspace

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: US CP
Actually, what I really wanted is to just have simple information saying something to the effect of "all flights to Europe are canceled today" Just something to that effect takes a little of the mystery out of things. Maybe a notification that says that if airports are reopened on Tues., we intend to start flying on Weds. or something! I can appreciate that things are in a state of flux, but a LITTLE more information would be nice. For example having a listing when and where they have open seats, such as telling people they can be reaccomodated as of Sat from FRA or Sun from AMS, rather than having to guess. I mean, other airlines such as LH are flying out of FRA. Why can't US add, for example, that they will, barring unforeseen circumstances, begin to start flying to FRA on Thurs., and back on Fri. There are a lot of people who have reservations or are rebooked who would find this information helpful. One central location for information would be very helpful, instead of doing things like having to look at PHL departures page, etc. It also might have been nice if they, like they do most of the time in domestic situations, had rebooked us automatically or sent me an email giving options. It would have been nice if they responded to the email I sent them 5 days ago (to the Chairman's address). It would also be nice if they could just give us seat assignments!

Look, I am not asking for compensation, just a little more information and communication. And as for the US government, it might be nice to just put information on who or where to contact, in various situations, such as running out of medication, which seems, unfortunately, to be a rather frequent thing happening to people. The UK government has listed phone numbers to do just such things.

I agree, I am venting a bit, but US has not done one blessed thing to give any information to any of its customers. Anything I have done or found out is from my efforts. And thanks for the good wishes from everyone. It has been a stressful situation.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 2P
I am hoping this is a moot question in the month to come:

Less than 5 weeks from now my parents will be on a TATL from Phila to FRA (then on to Milan from there).

I believe it's a 757 - IE 2 engine plane. Does anyone know for sure?

I know that plane is already pushing its limits to get to FRA - 2 engines, and fuel load (right?). Given the fact that they are only now tentatively opening the airspace, who knows how safe it really is. And who knows what these planes will be exposed to in the next month. A "little bit" on one flight might be OK. A "little bit" on the next one might be OK. But what about the 30th run?

I myself flew home from France less than a week after 911. And flew several times in the months after that to London. This was back when we had no idea if we were walking onto the next bomb. It all was fine.

I would get on a TATL if it were deemed safe, but I don't want to put my parents on one if there's a risk and I'd think the 757 would be riskier than the 777, right? I'll actually be going over IAD to ZRH to Milan two days before them but I believe it's a 777.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:45 pm

I really do understand your frustration but sometimes we all think of things that in reality aren't so easy to pull off. Today we all really thought that the flights to the UK and Europe would operate. Then as the day went on it started to look less likely. Planes were put at gates, crew members flew in, pax checked in and flown in from other destinations, etc. just to find their flight cancled. Things are changing minute by minute and the airlines are doing their best to deal with what is an act of mother nature. From what the news is saying more than 8 million pax have been affected by this.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth

Less than 5 weeks from now my parents will be on a TATL from Phila to FRA (then on to Milan from there).

I know that plane is already pushing its limits to get to FRA - 2 engines, and fuel load (right?). Given the fact that they are only now tentatively opening the airspace, who knows how safe it really is. And who knows what these planes will be exposed to in the next month. A "little bit" on one flight might be OK. A "little bit" on the next one might be OK. But what about the 30th run?

I myself flew home from France less than a week after 911. And flew several times in the months after that to London. This was back when we had no idea if we were walking onto the next bomb. It all was fine.

I would get on a TATL if it were deemed safe, but I don't want to put my parents on one if there's a risk and I'd think the 757 would be riskier than the 777, right? I'll actually be going over IAD to ZRH to Milan two days before them but I believe it's a 777.

All US Airways flights to and from FRA are on the A330.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth

I would be a little surprised if it was a 757, as US seems to only fly the A330 to FRA, which I think is a result of range limitations. Either way though, all US planes are 2 engine - no A340s or 747s at US.

I have to ask though, why is a 2 engine 777 ok but not any other 2 engine plane? Losing 2 on a 777 will cause the same result as losing 2 on a 757.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Communication could have been handled better by many parties but when there's massive disruptions, sometimes it really is more effective to say nothing. With airlines, if they announce the flight is going to go, then people who don't even have standby on the flight will still mob the checkin desks and gates in hopes of getting on the flight. They really don't need everyone who's made it out of the hotels to come back to the airport! And tell people the flight is cancelled and it gets worse-- they leave, then plans change and the airline is faced with a choice of keeping the flight cancelled, or possibly moving some equipment around and making a narrow take-off window, which gets a full plane of folks back on their way but what about the people who are now even more upset because they *had* tickets and seats and didn't turn up when the flight was cancelled?

Communicating by email/text/web is hit-or-miss as not everyone has access to these when travelling, especially not overseas. I can't afford the roaming data charges that my carrier wants in Europe!

Living in DC during 9/11, we had a lot of the same dysfunctional information flow and we all know things could have been done better, but there's no "right" way to do it when circumstances are as fluid and rapidly changing as they are in Europe right now.

Not making excuses for anyone; just saying that no matter what the "best" way to handle this kind of a situation is, it's probably still going to leave a lot of people in the dark, confused and upset.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 2P
Originally Posted by USPhilly
I would be a little surprised if it was a 757, as US seems to only fly the A330 to FRA, which I think is a result of range limitations. Either way though, all US planes are 2 engine - no A340s or 747s at US.

I have to ask though, why is a 2 engine 777 ok but not any other 2 engine plane? Losing 2 on a 777 will cause the same result as losing 2 on a 757.
it is? crap. OK, I thought it was big enough to have 4 engines. as you were.

so we're all going to die!!
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Looks like all the outbound European flights are in the air or on track to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.