Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic Ash Closes UK and other Northern European Airspace

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Just wondering if anyone's had any luck cancelling an itinerary under a travel advisory before the flight has been actually cancelled? I'm thinking maybe the DC-PA-NY snowstorms earlier this year might be a decent comparison but I know that event was nowhere near as extreme as this one is becoming.

I have tickets for Friday PHL-MAN and the travel advisory hasn't been extended quite that far yet but it gets less likely each day that we would go.

I am supposed to return on Monday 26 and I have real concerns that if I actually do make it to Manchester, that I might not make it back. Once operations resume, a cancelled flight will leave anyone trying to rebook, waiting for many days. In normal operations I'd just go, knowing I could probably get back a day or two late although maybe not in the cabin I've booked. But this is so extreme, and it's a weather event, which means once airspace opens and flights start going, there's no guarantee they will *keep* going. One shift in the winds and I'll be unable to return in time for a wedding I want to attend the following weekend.

Since the chances of my making it there and back aren't looking too good, I'd like to cancel outright. I know normally they don't allow this without all the fees, and since there's 2 of us, that adds up quickly. Just wondering if anyone's been able to get any exceptions during extreme irrops.

FWIW if I am able to cancel, I'd probably end up doing a MR to the west coast for the double miles promo. Another reason I don't want to wait till Friday to sort it out!

Advice is appreciated!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
722 DUB had not been cancelled as of 10:15am edt, but it was cancelled within 15 minutes of that, based on a note a friend sent me at that point letting me know it had been cancelled.

At least they are cancelling flights before any of the west coast people start heading to Philly.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kats
Will it still be the case for partially used US award tickets? My friend has a flight out of MUC back to NRT tomorrow. Hopefully, LH will rebook for the first available flight.
If you want a rebooking--and it sounds like you do--why would you want a refund? If you get a refund, that's it--there's no more responsibility for the airline to get you anywhere. You can't get both a refund and a rebooking.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:25 am

You won't be able to cancel without paying $250 unless you actually wait until your flight is cancelled. I am trying to see if I'm going to Dublin tomorrow. I was actually hoping to book an e-fare in early May as a replacement, but I won't be able to book it by 11:59 tonight, as the flight to Dublin won't get cancelled until tomorrow morning. So it's a waiting game.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by dcpatti
I have tickets for Friday PHL-MAN and the travel advisory hasn't been extended quite that far yet but it gets less likely each day that we would go.
No experience, but all I can suggest is keeping an eye on the travel advisory to see if they extend it.

Since the European authorities are extending the bans on flights 12-24 hours at a time, I suspect that's what the airlines will also do with their advisories.

Jim
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
One step closer...

Looks like they're going to give it a try tomorrow and let the airspace gradually open.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/ap...-open-forecast

Germany is allowing some LH flights to land today.

Who knows how long the delays will be though for the first few days...
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: US Airways
My wife has a flight home from Paris tomorrow that has been canceled. She is rebooked for a flight next Monday the 26th.

If she finds another way home, would they refund her ticket (it was non refundable when purchased)? Or would she get credit for the unused portion less a change fee?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by resingl
My wife has a flight home from Paris tomorrow that has been canceled. She is rebooked for a flight next Monday the 26th.

If she finds another way home, would they refund her ticket (it was non refundable when purchased)? Or would she get credit for the unused portion less a change fee?
Two thoughts:
1) By the letter of the rule, you would get credit for the ticket and then have to pay a change fee (which can't come out of the unused portion) when you want to use the ticket.
2) However, if you get an agent that looks kindly on you, you might be able to plead your case for a refund as I believe you would have been eligible for a refund of the unused portion if you hadn't been re-ticketed.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Talking

Originally Posted by tahitigirl
700 - fra

704 - fra

706 - muc

710 - zhr

722 - dub
Wait a minutes? Is that US will be resume flight from PHL-ZRH tonight? So what about my flight coming back home tomorrow or next few days?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chrisphx
More cancellations tonight heading east:

734 - MAN
728 - LHR

However, Dublin has not been cancelled, at least not yet:

722 - DUB
Add

732- LGW
700 - fra

704 - fra

706 - muc

710 - zhr

722 - dub
I believe that was part of this stream saying that these flights were cancelled for today. Sorry...
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: None
and ZRH-PHL is already canceled for tomorrow. There won't be an eastbound plane tonight to make up tomorrow's flight to PHL

Jim
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:08 am

Surprisingly enough, PHL-DUB has not been cancelled yet. Dublin's re-opening was delayed by 14 hours today already and is now pushed back to 7pm IST. I have to get on a plane to PHL later this morning. I hope I don't get stranded in Philly.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by chrisphx
Surprisingly enough, PHL-DUB has not been cancelled yet. Dublin's re-opening was delayed by 14 hours today already and is now pushed back to 7pm IST. I have to get on a plane to PHL later this morning. I hope I don't get stranded in Philly.

I think they are in the process of making a decision about today's flights. There are several f/a positions open on tatl trips that haven't been covered.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: US CP
Travel Advisory has been extended to the 25th.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:51 am

Looks like they have canceled most of the flight to Europe and UK again for tonight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.