Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gogo Wifi starts Monday

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
I was on a quite new 321 from PHX to LAX on Monday morning and it had the GoGo running. The flight is so short, I didn't use my 1-time free trial for it but I did check out the gogo website FAQ, etc. which didn't require me to register. Speed and responsiveness seemed great. There is also a map that shows all the gogo enabled routes and they included about a dozen or so major destinations from PHX, including PHL and CLT. I am thinking about getting one of those 9-hour battery netbooks and would definitely use the service based on the responsiveness of what I saw on the flight.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Phrequent
US Airways and GOGO will part ways within the year if US Airways does not offer POWER to its customers. Encouraging customers to "bring an extra battery" is horse poo poo, to say the least.

Why should I pay 14 clams to use the internet when my laptop will only last for 6 hrs. On dim screen.

UA & AA have GOGO and even the transcon flights require P-O-W-E-R.

We really need someone to buy up US Airways, and fast...

I agree on a need for power, but these are the same clowns that stripped the fleet of IFE. Do you really think they're going to invest in seats with power ports? Sure maybe 15 years from now when the market dictates they'll need in seat power...as aircraft come standard with them and as every domestic competitor goes to an in-seat power system. It's doubtful US will even be around by the time that happens.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 2:52 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
GoGo Rocked!

I flew a US F transcon last week.
Brand new A321, the wifi, and seat 1D. Not a bad deal.
Of course if you are in row 2+, it can be tight.

It was weird, there were at least 4 empties.
No other elites? You've got to be kidding me.

I noticed the card in the seat pocket and then the FA said something on the PA that reminded me to give GoGo it a whirl.

I saw two different prices...mobile and regular. Not sure if both are active. I felt that 10 bucks for a transcon flight's entertainment was worth it.
It was a... If I pay $10 I can be home now! ...kinda moment.

Then, I noticed the promo code on the login/splash page. It bugged that I needed to register (guess I didn't need to), however, ultimately it surprised me that I was online before I needed to enter any credit card info.

I surfed, emailed, IM'd, Skype Text Chatted, tested my errrr.... Slingbox for 30 min. I refrained, as is clearly requested on the brochure, from using any VOIP.

My trip was enjoyable and my sexy Toshiba Portege was up to the challenge.

Cheers,

Scho
Old Apr 5, 2010, 6:40 am

Programs: US CP; Marriott G
I have 4 transcon flights next week 3 on 321 and one on a 320, how do i know if they have wifi or not? I dont want to lug an extra battery if its not needed.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:32 am

I'm writing this post on Gogo on flight 135 CLT-PHX.

I'm only writing this post on Gogo because of the free code. Make sure you write it down because by the time you get to the point to enter it you can't find it anymore.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by gj83
I'm writing this post on Gogo on flight 135 CLT-PHX.

I'm only writing this post on Gogo because of the free code. Make sure you write it down because by the time you get to the point to enter it you can't find it anymore.
Did you get your free code on that flight?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:17 am

I'm on 990 FLL-CLT, using GoGo now. Good speed. Flight attendants said nothing about it, and I had to detect it myself.

I mentioned it to them, and they seemed to know that it existed, but had no idea of the cost. One suggested $50 per minute, but he was joking.

I pay $34/month for GoGo, since I fly VX mostly, and actually my previous month expired yesterday. The USAir login page doesn't allow you to renew your monthly, which is odd (I confirmed it via the online chat that you can use before you pay).

However, the free promo code worked anyway. I didn't expect it to, because the terms seem to state that you have to be a first time user in order to use it. The chat person said that you just have to be a first time USAir user of GoGo. I'm not sure I believe that. Anyway, it works! I didn't notice the tail number, but I'll try to remember to get it as I deplane.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by aviators99
The USAir login page doesn't allow you to renew your monthly, which is odd
While GoGo sets the prices, each airline is free to pick from the available optional pricing it wants to offer. US does not offer the daily or monthly rates, only the per flight rates. Most of the other carriers using GoGo do offer the daily and monthly rates, including VX I believe.

Jim
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Being that all my flights are at least 2 segments and sometimes 3, I am not willing to buy my internet 3 times from home to destination. I would however consider a daily, or honestly be very interested in a monthly option. But I am sure the money US gets for people purchasing the flight packages is really good so only offer the one that pays the most to them.

-- Mia
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:32 pm

Even with the restrict limiting the daily and monthly packages to a single carrier, the pricing is good for people like you who need multiple segments to get anywhere or people who fly enough to use the monthly options. A 24 hour pass on a single airline is $12.95, the same as for a 3 hour or longer single flight. The 30-day pass on a single airline is $29.95, only 2-1/2 times the cost of a single 3-hour or longer segment, while a 30-day pass good on any GoGo equipped airline is $39.95, and the best deal is probably the monthly subscription which automatically renews every month - it's only $34.95/month.

FL, AA, DL, and VX all offer the 30-day and monthly plans and AA is the only one of those that doesn't offer the 24 hour plan.

Jim
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: US CP; Marriott G
Sometimes i fly from phl to lax and back in the same day, I’d love to have a 24 hour pass... I'd also love to know if it’s available before hand on my flights.

Has anyone tried this with Netflix?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by laclac01
I’d love to have a 24 hour pass... I'd also love to know if it’s available before hand on my flights.
For now at least, each airline that offers GoGo has the pricing options they offer on their website. So all you have to do is check to see what pricing options are available. WN, after doing their trial airplane with GoGo, decided to go with Row 44's system to have more freedom in pricing - GoGo maintains tight reigns on their product, to the degree of requiring stickers beside the entry door and next to seat row placards on GoGo equipped aircraft.

Jim
Old Apr 10, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: US CP | MR PL | HH Diamond | Hertz PC
I know you're not supposed to...

...but has anyone ever used a cellular aircard in flight? Just curious if it works.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 3:23 am

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Even with the restrict limiting the daily and monthly packages to a single carrier, the pricing is good for people like you who need multiple segments to get anywhere or people who fly enough to use the monthly options. A 24 hour pass on a single airline is $12.95, the same as for a 3 hour or longer single flight. The 30-day pass on a single airline is $29.95, only 2-1/2 times the cost of a single 3-hour or longer segment, while a 30-day pass good on any GoGo equipped airline is $39.95, and the best deal is probably the monthly subscription which automatically renews every month - it's only $34.95/month.

FL, AA, DL, and VX all offer the 30-day and monthly plans and AA is the only one of those that doesn't offer the 24 hour plan.

Jim
Perhaps I had misread, I though someone said earlier, that US only offered the per-flight option. If they have a monthly option available, that would actually be worth the price to me. Now if only I did not have to carry 4 batteries with me.

-- Mia
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:39 am

I did. The post you quoted was the last of a chain that started when someone had a monthly subscription through VX and could not renew it on a US flight.

US only offers the per segment pricing. Most of the other airlines that have GoGo do offer other pricing options, including the 30-day/monthly package options but US does not.

If you want a pricing package that US doesn't offer, you'll have to fly an airline that offers it or you could try subscribing directly with GoGo. I don't know if GoGo would recognize it when you fly US, but GoGo should be able to answer that question.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.