Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boston flights to be nearly cut in half (84 to 44)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver, Avis First
Question Boston flights to be nearly cut in half (84 to 44)

I did a quick search but haven't yet seen this posted on FT.

http://www.patriotledger.com/busines...ston-crew-base

Does anyone know what routes are leaving BOS? The story says NY and DC shuttles stay, so I can't imagine that leaves much else besides hubs like PHL and CLT?

I had been contemplating a switch to US but I think this will put a hold on my plans, due to my location.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by DLBosPvdFF
Does anyone know what routes are leaving BOS? The story says NY and DC shuttles stay, so I can't imagine that leaves much else besides hubs like PHL and CLT?
Go to the Route Map on the US website. Enlarge the map and click the button for BOS (and select direct routes). Apparently you can fly to lots of places from BOS. I'm guessing it's going to be the little cities that get cut (BUF, SYR and the like).
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
I think we knew there was going to be reductions based on the PR from late last year that they would consolidate from 96% to 99% the % of flights that would go through hubs. Since BOS is a focus city, it was going to lose non-stop destination.

This is the first time I have seen the actual number of reduction in flights, but I have been assuming the PIT, BUF, SYR, RIC, ROC and other non-stops to non-hubs would be lost. Maybe a PIT flight once a day would stay, but I also assume at least 1 LAS flight be lost and all the Carribean seasonal routes will be shelved as well. Someone might have more detail or know where the changes have been published. I don't see the schedule online changed yet.

Cheers.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, PetSmart PetPerks Elite
I gotta think the express service to AUG will be among the cuts. Too bad. I tried to use AUG last summer (parking 2 bucks a day), after the switch to Saab 340's, until the fares went through the roof. It used to be that I could fly via BOS for only 100-150 more per RT. It is now on the order of 250-400 more per RT. With all parking at PWM going to 12 dollars a day in April, and no private budget airport parking, PWM may have the distinction of most expensive parking in the US!!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:46 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
The $64 question is this: do "flight cuts" represent mainline or do they include express operations?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
The $64 question is this: do "flight cuts" represent mainline or do they include express operations?
I would have to assume they include express operations. Other than hub to hub, seasonal destinations and shuttle flights, much of the ops in BOS are express (SYR, ROC, BUF etc). Though, I was wrong once before
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by vincentvan
With all parking at PWM going to 12 dollars a day in April, and no private budget airport parking, PWM may have the distinction of most expensive parking in the US!!
Maybe most expensive in Maine but not the US. Try JFK, LGA or EWR - $33/day.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by RxCapt
Maybe most expensive in Maine but not the US. Try JFK, LGA or EWR - $33/day.
You're correct for on airport parking...try 6.99 - 8.99 a day if you park off airport and take a free provided shuttle. No such option exists at PWM
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
If the web site is to be believed, it must be mainline only. The number of Shuttle/PHL/CLT/PHX/LAS flights stays the same at 58 on week days so cutting all the other mainline flying means there can only be 18 mainline flights/day on weekends to average 44. If you include Express flights, it becomes almost impossible to get to the 44 average with any flights on weekends.

Jim
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:47 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by vincentvan
You're correct for on airport parking...try 6.99 - 8.99 a day if you park off airport and take a free provided shuttle. No such option exists at PWM
There's LGA parking for $7-9/day? That would be great - I haven't found anything that cheap... can you refer me to one?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Is this another retreat from an airport where WN has attacked or just pure coincidence? No idea if WN serves any of these other desinations from BOS, purely curious.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
I could be wrong but I think BOS-PIT service has been increasing recently. For a while they were down to 2 non-stops a day on Sundays. They are back up to 5 now. I also think they are running more 170's and less CRJs on weekdays. Still no non-stops on Saturday though...

ETA: Saturdays BOS-PIT non-stop seems to make a reappearance starting in June with 2 non-stops a day.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:51 am

I don't see how the 44 number can be right. US' current schedule for June has 59 daily BOS mainline departures to just LGA/DCA/PHL/CLT/PHX alone on weekdays. The reporter must have misunderstood something. I could see US cutting all the Caribbean flights, CUN, LAS, and some or all of the Express destinations: but that should lead to, if anything, more hub and shuttle flying, not less.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by gawhite411
Is this another retreat from an airport where WN has attacked or just pure coincidence? No idea if WN serves any of these other desinations from BOS, purely curious.
You are correct. WN is trying to make in roads at BOS. They now fly BOS to BWI and LGA. I know WN would love to start up a semi-shuttle service from BOS to DCA as well. I think this is part of the US thought process plus, to the best of my knowledge, many of the loads out of BOS have been light save for the shuttle during the weekdays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.