FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   Boston flights to be nearly cut in half (84 to 44) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/1064127-boston-flights-nearly-cut-half-84-44-a.html)

DLBosPvdFF Mar 17, 2010 12:45 pm

Boston flights to be nearly cut in half (84 to 44)

I did a quick search but haven't yet seen this posted on FT.

http://www.patriotledger.com/busines...ston-crew-base

Does anyone know what routes are leaving BOS? The story says NY and DC shuttles stay, so I can't imagine that leaves much else besides hubs like PHL and CLT?

I had been contemplating a switch to US but I think this will put a hold on my plans, due to my location.

bitburgr Mar 17, 2010 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by DLBosPvdFF (Post 13594571)
Does anyone know what routes are leaving BOS? The story says NY and DC shuttles stay, so I can't imagine that leaves much else besides hubs like PHL and CLT?

Go to the Route Map on the US website. Enlarge the map and click the button for BOS (and select direct routes). Apparently you can fly to lots of places from BOS. I'm guessing it's going to be the little cities that get cut (BUF, SYR and the like).

PWMFlyer19 Mar 17, 2010 1:49 pm

I think we knew there was going to be reductions based on the PR from late last year that they would consolidate from 96% to 99% the % of flights that would go through hubs. Since BOS is a focus city, it was going to lose non-stop destination.

This is the first time I have seen the actual number of reduction in flights, but I have been assuming the PIT, BUF, SYR, RIC, ROC and other non-stops to non-hubs would be lost. Maybe a PIT flight once a day would stay, but I also assume at least 1 LAS flight be lost and all the Carribean seasonal routes will be shelved as well. Someone might have more detail or know where the changes have been published. I don't see the schedule online changed yet.

Cheers.

vincentvan Mar 17, 2010 2:26 pm

I gotta think the express service to AUG will be among the cuts. Too bad. I tried to use AUG last summer (parking 2 bucks a day), after the switch to Saab 340's, until the fares went through the roof. It used to be that I could fly via BOS for only 100-150 more per RT. It is now on the order of 250-400 more per RT. With all parking at PWM going to 12 dollars a day in April, and no private budget airport parking, PWM may have the distinction of most expensive parking in the US!!

ClueByFour Mar 17, 2010 2:46 pm

The $64 question is this: do "flight cuts" represent mainline or do they include express operations?

vincentvan Mar 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by ClueByFour (Post 13595396)
The $64 question is this: do "flight cuts" represent mainline or do they include express operations?

I would have to assume they include express operations. Other than hub to hub, seasonal destinations and shuttle flights, much of the ops in BOS are express (SYR, ROC, BUF etc). Though, I was wrong once before;)

RxCapt Mar 17, 2010 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by vincentvan (Post 13595265)
With all parking at PWM going to 12 dollars a day in April, and no private budget airport parking, PWM may have the distinction of most expensive parking in the US!!

Maybe most expensive in Maine but not the US. Try JFK, LGA or EWR - $33/day.

vincentvan Mar 17, 2010 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by RxCapt (Post 13597420)
Maybe most expensive in Maine but not the US. Try JFK, LGA or EWR - $33/day.

You're correct for on airport parking...try 6.99 - 8.99 a day if you park off airport and take a free provided shuttle. No such option exists at PWM

BoeingBoy Mar 17, 2010 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by ClueByFour (Post 13595396)

If the web site is to be believed, it must be mainline only. The number of Shuttle/PHL/CLT/PHX/LAS flights stays the same at 58 on week days so cutting all the other mainline flying means there can only be 18 mainline flights/day on weekends to average 44. If you include Express flights, it becomes almost impossible to get to the 44 average with any flights on weekends.

Jim

T/BE20/G Mar 17, 2010 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by vincentvan (Post 13597677)
You're correct for on airport parking...try 6.99 - 8.99 a day if you park off airport and take a free provided shuttle. No such option exists at PWM

There's LGA parking for $7-9/day? That would be great - I haven't found anything that cheap... can you refer me to one?

gawhite411 Mar 18, 2010 6:21 am

Is this another retreat from an airport where WN has attacked or just pure coincidence? No idea if WN serves any of these other desinations from BOS, purely curious.

jfunk138 Mar 18, 2010 7:42 am

I could be wrong but I think BOS-PIT service has been increasing recently. For a while they were down to 2 non-stops a day on Sundays. They are back up to 5 now. I also think they are running more 170's and less CRJs on weekdays. Still no non-stops on Saturday though...

ETA: Saturdays BOS-PIT non-stop seems to make a reappearance starting in June with 2 non-stops a day.

yellow77 Mar 18, 2010 7:51 am

I don't see how the 44 number can be right. US' current schedule for June has 59 daily BOS mainline departures to just LGA/DCA/PHL/CLT/PHX alone on weekdays. The reporter must have misunderstood something. I could see US cutting all the Caribbean flights, CUN, LAS, and some or all of the Express destinations: but that should lead to, if anything, more hub and shuttle flying, not less.

mh3265a Mar 18, 2010 7:56 am

Originally Posted by gawhite411 (Post 13599180)
Is this another retreat from an airport where WN has attacked or just pure coincidence? No idea if WN serves any of these other desinations from BOS, purely curious.

You are correct. WN is trying to make in roads at BOS. They now fly BOS to BWI and LGA. I know WN would love to start up a semi-shuttle service from BOS to DCA as well. I think this is part of the US thought process plus, to the best of my knowledge, many of the loads out of BOS have been light save for the shuttle during the weekdays.