Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US First vs AirTran Business

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Smile US First vs AirTran Business

This weekend I did RT First Class MCO-Charlotte and here are some observations, compared with my many recent AirTran Business class experiences. Both flight crews were very nice, East going and West coming back. The seats were more comfortable (extra seat padding) on the East planes; though the West neck things were great. I loved the pomegranate martinis, having two doubles on each flight. The basket of goodies was fine for an offering. Also, the express line through security was a great benefit, as was the express luggage.

AirTran Business Class is very similar to the above with a few differences. One is, that you get pre-takeoff cocktails, which US Airways does not provide. Second, the goody basket, seems to have more to offer. I like the seats; however they are about the same. The flight attendants are about the same, as is the ground operation.

In summary, I think that US Airways is equal to the services provided by AirTran with its premium product. The added benefit of *A earning is something that AirTran does not offer. This being said, US First is not a true domestic First, such as United, Continental, Alaska, or Delta. Not offering meals for under a 3.5 hour flight, plastic cups, no pre-flight drinks, no US Airways skycaps and a staff that never addresses you by name: is not what one sees in the other majors First Class products.

I did like my flights overall, however the US product is not equal to the First product that either United or Continental offer. It seems to me, that US needs to improve its offering to be competitive within its alliance. While it does (more or less) equal AirTran the main benefit over AirTran is it's alliance benefits. So in the end, I will look into moving my flights (MCO based) to US Airways to take advantage of the great earning benefits on BMI. I should look into, more paid First tickets, at 3x mileage earning!!@:-)@:-):-:
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: SPG- Nothing currently Grr.
just a few points-

1. I've been addressed by name before, and sometimes I have not been. I would rather a stranger not know my name in this day and age.

2. Out of the last 12 F segments I've flown I got a preflight drink on 11 of them. In fact, I've been cut off more times than I've not been offered a preflight drink.

Last edited by Frebis; Mar 17, 2010 at 11:24 am
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I don't know about MCO but US cannot serve alcoholic beverages at TPA when the aircraft is on the ground.
Other than that US serves pre flight drinks on all other flights (minus NM).
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:00 am

I'll give you the no meals under 3.5 hours (though I recently was served one on ORD-PHX) and the infamous plastic cups, but I agree with the previous poster on the whole "calling by name" issue. Doesn't bother me in the least, and given the choice, I'd rather not have them address me by name.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
That's the biggest stretch I've seen in a long time. Pre-departure drinks are hit or miss on US East. Much more "hit" on US West.

HTSC
Originally Posted by bwiadca
I don't know about MCO but US cannot serve alcoholic beverages at TPA when the aircraft is on the ground.
Other than that US serves pre flight drinks on all other flights (minus NM).
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
There's some weird Alcoholic Beverage Commission rule at MCO-- not sure if it is county or state--- they can't serve pre-flight cocktails there. They used to, maybe 3-4 years ago; not entirely sure when they stopped and TBH occasionally they slip up and "forget" but when I've forgotten where I am, and asked for a drink, I'm always gently reminded that they can't serve on the ground in MCO.

I've never been all that impressed with AirTran. The planes are OK, no real difference in Coach (never had an AirTran business class seat though) but my real hangups with them are: Very limited destinations served from DCA when compared with US, especially for the nonstops, and very limited equipment; if you get stuck with a broken-down plane on US in a hub or a focus city, you've got a decent chance that the spare part or a spare plane is there or closeby; you're not totally done for. AirTran doesn't seem to have the same resources.

Also AirTran doesn't partner with anyone "big" that I know of, just Frontier and I don't consider them too big, so in irrops you're not going to get walked over to another airline. For me that's a biggie. I could give lots of examples but I think the best is trying to beat the St Patricks Day Ice Storm back east about 2 years ago, flying US from SAT-DCA connecting somewhere in between. The connection into DCA had been cancelled and no other routes into DCA from SAT on US so they put me on a UA nonstop that got me to IAD just in time to beat the ice storm. If I'd been on Air Tran (or WN for that matter) I might have been in Texas for a couple extra days. No fun.

I like being called by name although it annoys me when it's overdone. You don't have to address me by name every time I ask for something. But I think it is a classy touch and shows respect when greeted by name for the first contact.

And I really don't have an issue with plasticware. I could care less if my cocktail comes in glass, plastic or a handmade terra cotta coconut with tiki dancers on top.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Although the Tiki dancers are kind of cute, eh?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:29 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Last time I flew AirTran in business they absolutely refused to serve a second pre-departure beer. My last flight on US my seat opponent polished off three pre-departure beers with nary a protest from the F/A (I was honestly surprised that he got a third, never mind a second).
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Lounges make a huge difference for me.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:53 am
Suspended

AirTran has wifi on all flights, does it not? End of story for me. Wifi makes AirTran the best FC/BC out there, even if there is a charge.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dcpatti
I might have been in Texas for a couple extra days. No fun.
I'll take two extra days in SAT over DCA anytime!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:41 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by masonuc
AirTran has wifi on all flights, does it not? End of story for me. Wifi makes AirTran the best FC/BC out there, even if there is a charge.
Lack of power ports kills that. As does the regular undercatering of adult beverages in FL's J.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 1:01 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, AirTran Elite, Hertz Gold, Radisson Gold Elite
AirTran's Sirius-XM radio & the GoGo wifi is a great distraction, in my mind, over US.

Every airline is starting to look the same, more and more... its coming down to network & flights for the most part.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:40 am

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I have also flown Airtran Business before and it is about on par with the US First offering. I do also hope that US does bring power and wifi to their airplanes, that would be quite nice. I have had to relegate my movie watching to an ipod due to battery issues with the laptop.

-- Mia
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Beckles
My last flight on US my seat opponent ...
A little insight into what traveling has become .

I know what you meant, but it made me chuckle when I read it. Now that I think of it, I have had some real opponents in coach for the armrest elbow wars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.