FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US First vs AirTran Business
View Single Post
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:07 am
dcpatti

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
There's some weird Alcoholic Beverage Commission rule at MCO-- not sure if it is county or state--- they can't serve pre-flight cocktails there. They used to, maybe 3-4 years ago; not entirely sure when they stopped and TBH occasionally they slip up and "forget" but when I've forgotten where I am, and asked for a drink, I'm always gently reminded that they can't serve on the ground in MCO.

I've never been all that impressed with AirTran. The planes are OK, no real difference in Coach (never had an AirTran business class seat though) but my real hangups with them are: Very limited destinations served from DCA when compared with US, especially for the nonstops, and very limited equipment; if you get stuck with a broken-down plane on US in a hub or a focus city, you've got a decent chance that the spare part or a spare plane is there or closeby; you're not totally done for. AirTran doesn't seem to have the same resources.

Also AirTran doesn't partner with anyone "big" that I know of, just Frontier and I don't consider them too big, so in irrops you're not going to get walked over to another airline. For me that's a biggie. I could give lots of examples but I think the best is trying to beat the St Patricks Day Ice Storm back east about 2 years ago, flying US from SAT-DCA connecting somewhere in between. The connection into DCA had been cancelled and no other routes into DCA from SAT on US so they put me on a UA nonstop that got me to IAD just in time to beat the ice storm. If I'd been on Air Tran (or WN for that matter) I might have been in Texas for a couple extra days. No fun.

I like being called by name although it annoys me when it's overdone. You don't have to address me by name every time I ask for something. But I think it is a classy touch and shows respect when greeted by name for the first contact.

And I really don't have an issue with plasticware. I could care less if my cocktail comes in glass, plastic or a handmade terra cotta coconut with tiki dancers on top.