Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[MASTER THREAD]: Preferred vs. Choice Seats

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
Originally Posted by SS255
In my recollection, US has only reversed their policies on the 500-mile minimums (they implemented it, and I believe were the last holdouts), revocation of bonus miles for elites, and the non-alcoholic beverage charges. These all occurred right around the same time.......when the economy cratered. All customer-unfriendly "enhancements" during the "flush" times stuck.

My assumption is that US will only admit failure if somebody in Accounting beats them over the head with a stick, and shows them the red ink. You can send enough complaint e-mails to crash their server, but until they see a precipitous drop in Preferred bookings, the policy will stick. My recommendation is to send copies of bookings on other carriers along with your complaints.
Don't forget the bone head decision to only count full Y fare tickets as preferred miles and segments that prior management tried to push down our throats a few years back. That lasted about two weeks before that decision was rescinded due to an extreme uprising from Preferred DM's calling and writing in to complain.

All I can say is letters do seem to work sometimes. Along with the reversed decisions you mention above, we have do have the victory of the RDU US Club staying open due to an overwhelming amount of complaints, but that was more like a draw since we still lost the BWI club.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by phlwookie
Has anyone booked onto a flight where the only seats left in Y were Choice seats, and as a result, you didn't get a seat assignment? What happens when you check in - do they attempt to force an upsell, or are they assigning a seat in this case? I doubt they'd be bumping preferred in this case.
I have had this happen when booking for travel clients and only Choice seats were showing as open. When I went to check them in, the system would not let me select Choice seats without paying, so I skipped seat selection and the system automatically assigned them Choice seats at no charge.

The same thing also happens on UA. If there are no regular Y seats open at check in and you don't want to pay for E+, it will automatically assign an E+ seat at no charge.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by me4yankees
I have had this happen when booking for travel clients and only Choice seats were showing as open. When I went to check them in, the system would not let me select Choice seats without paying, so I skipped seat selection and the system automatically assigned them Choice seats at no charge.

The same thing also happens on UA. If there are no regular Y seats open at check in and you don't want to pay for E+, it will automatically assign an E+ seat at no charge.
So on UA it's actually to your advantage to wait to book until all non-E+ are booked so you are not assigned a seat at purchase, and therefore eligible for a E+ seat at check-in?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by ramblers63
So on UA it's actually to your advantage to wait to book until all non-E+ are booked so you are not assigned a seat at purchase, and therefore eligible for a E+ seat at check-in?
The opposite - wait till all E- seats are taken, decline to purchase E+ at check-in and the computer will assign E+ for free since no other seats are available to be assigned.

Jim
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton G, Marriot G
Preferred v. Choice

My feeling is the preferred seats are not toward the front like the majority of choice seats. I'm sure there are a few preferreds in the first 5 rows however the majority begin around row 7-9 (if 319, 737, and up) The bottomline is I never ran into a problem in seat selection as a Gold however now I'm seeing my selections beginning to creep further back so unless I get the F upgrade I'm not feeling the preferred treatment.

Originally Posted by PHX_bound
Maybe I'm too easy-going, but I fail to see how this is a problem.
According to the FAQs as a Preferred I can book Preferred seats and exit rows. And, instead of before where I had to "compete" with any old Tom, Dick, or Harry who'd pay $5 for a limited # of seats, now the Preferred seats are only for Preferreds, and everybody else gets to pick from Choice seats. Isn't that a good thing?

So to reality-check myself, I checked two flights in November to see the number of Preferred & Choice available...

...PHX-CLT, A321: 9 Choice Seats, 10 Preferred Seats + 14 Exit Seats = 24 Seats for me to choose from...

...PHX-LGB, CRJ-900: 8 Choice Seats, 7 Preferred Seats + 8 Exit Seats = 15 Seats for me to choose from.

Again, maybe I'm too easy-going, but I don't see this as a negative. I've got access to several seats (Plus, as a Silver, I may get to sit in First!) and I'm only competing with other Preferreds for the Preferred seats in coach. That seems good.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:30 am

This is very frustrating to me. I never had a problem getting an aisle or window toward the front when Choice Seats were free for Preferred members. But on four segments last week, I was not able to get a Preferred seat on ANY of the segments ... plenty of choice seats were available in the front, but I was stuck in the last couple of rows of the plane.

This is pretty ridiculous. A gigantic step backward for US Airways.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
For those of you who have already been burned by this new policy, I would highly suggest complaining to Customer Relations. If you have booked another carrier because you could not get a decent (or any) seat assignment on US, make sure to include a copy of your receipt with your complaint.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
This happened to my boss (today). He's a US-Gold and a United Global Services. He got summoned down to a meeting with a firm client in Charlotte on Monday. Owing to the fact that he took a bullet to the leg in Vietnam, he walks with a cane and is ineligible for the Exit Rows.

So, for his $1300 fare he CANNOT book exit row and he cannot book the four Choice seats that are available currently 3A, 5A, 5DF. No other seats are available anywhere on the flight. The flight in question is US2401.

Technically, he can pay up, but considers the US policy insane that a US Gold has to pay for seats that were formerly set aside for Preferreds.

US should be lucky that he doesn't issue an order forbidding travel on US except out of dire necessity.

Are folks like PHX-bound still convinced that this is a not a net loss for Preferreds?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage - Executive Platinum
Garbage

This new policy is absolute garbage.

Are they trying to push us to other carriers?
UA's E+ is looking better and better due to this policy.

I could overlook a lesser FC product. I could overlook no E+ when I could get an exit row (or at least get the front of the plane before the non-preferreds).

But now the benefits are becoming so diminished that a switch is becoming more likely.

Everytime they seem to make a decent improvement, they do something to mess it up.

I'm not demanding - I don't need everything to be perfect - but this really sticks a thumb in the eye to preferreds.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by PHX_bound
Again, maybe I'm too easy-going, but I don't see this as a negative. I've got access to several seats (Plus, as a Silver, I may get to sit in First!) and I'm only competing with other Preferreds for the Preferred seats in coach. That seems good.
I just forked over full-fare for a trip tomorrow. I was assigned 18A even though 3C, 4D and other "Choice seats" are available. No "Preferred" seats are available. In the past, I get those seats for free. Now I get to pay for them or sit in the back of the plane.

How does that seem good?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: US Plat
Talked to Someone Directly

After some strong (but civil) words, I pretty much forced a phone call from US Airways Customer Relations on this new program. I spoke with a wonderful agent who thoroughly documented my comments and assured me they were headed directly to senior management.

I would urge everyone to please call and do the same!
That's the only way this utterly ridiculous move stands any remote chance of being reversed!

Last edited by 757guy; Mar 25, 2010 at 2:43 pm
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:22 pm

Well, I just learned about this policy today when I tried to change my seat to 3A on my Embraer flight tonight. What they've basically done is gut the choice seats from before and split them between preferred and choice now. Seriously, what kind of management team thinks it's a good idea to nickel and dime elite passengers who are paying $500 plus to fly every week. It doesn't matter if it only costs $5 more to sit in the choice seat...it's the principle. I'd really like to know the thought process behind management. They must be of the mind that frequent flyers will just b*tch and moan at first, but eventually just suck it up.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: MVP G, UA G, American AAdvantage 1MM
This new policy has really got me mad so I wrote an email expressing my displeasure. Below is the reply I received today. I encourage everyone to complain to see if we can get this stupid idea reversed:-

EDIT---

Dear Mr

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations at US Airways. We regret your dissatisfaction with our Choice Seat program. The Choice Seat program is similar to what we previously called “Preferred Seats.”

Preferred members can still reserve a seat anytime after booking travel and have the added benefit of exclusive access to exit rows. Non-Preferred passengers may purchase Choice Seats during Web check-in from 24 hours and up to 90 minutes before departure.

As we are always interested in the opinions of our passengers, your comments and concerns have been documented and will be shared in a written report to our executive management team. This report is a summarized record of all passengers’ concerns regarding our policies and procedures. In fact, many of our current policies, procedures, and positive changes are a direct result of customer feedback.

I am confident your comments will receive thoughtful evaluation. We appreciate your business and would welcome any opportunity to serve your travel needs.

Sincerely,

Representative, Customer Relations

US Airways Corporate Office

Last edited by ajlowe444; Mar 29, 2010 at 6:10 am
Old Mar 25, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by ajlowe444
This new policy has really got me mad so I wrote an email expressing my displeasure.
FWIW, I received a fairly similar reply to a note I had sent to the Chairman's desk. It didn't feel like a form letter, and it seemed like they intended to take my concerns seriously. So either someone at USAirways IS listening, or they are better than most at writing sincere-sounding form letters.

Let me add my voice to those saying PLEASE everyone write to complain about this new policy. If USAirways' management becomes aware of an angry mob with pitchforks, then maybe - just maybe - they will back down.

For those flights that effectively have no exit row (333's for example) and for which most elite members are not automatically upgraded to First, this really is a big deal. In planning future travel, I have already seen several seat maps showing no purple, or maybe just a stray purple middle (!) or window seat, and have therefore moved on to a different flight option on another carrier.

Last edited by tacommuter; Mar 25, 2010 at 4:52 pm
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage - Executive Platinum
My e-mail to US

In light of the recent changes to the choice/ preferred seating program; I was unable to get seats near the front of the plane for my upcoming trip (without purchasing a "choice seat"). By instituting this change, you have limited the number of seats available to your best customers.

My travel habits have steadily increased over the past 2 years, and with few exceptions, that travel has always been with US. For my upcoming reservation - due to the lack of seats available to me on US - I went with a Continental codeshare flight operated by United. I called and got a FREE E+ seat on a transcontinental flight - instead of paying for a "Choice seat" on US (which offers nowhere near the benefit of E+)

This policy is a HUGE step back for US Airways. I understand the need to make money in this economy, but balanced against losing the high yielding passengers, I'd like to think you would reconsider this change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.